1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

What was getting your first doll like?

May 26, 2018

1. I only got my first doll a couple months ago, a Minifee Chloe. I used to think BJDs were creepy, too lifelike, but then I started to come around to them and when a I saw Chloe I just wanted her so bad. I spent hours and hours researching everything, pining, but then so many priorities came up that I kind of gave up. Recently though I had enough money laying around to afford one, and suddenly that fierce desire was back. Finally I bought her before I could convince myself otherwise.

When her box arrived I jumped up and down and I opened everything slowly and carefully. She was so big and heavy, I was really surprised. But she was also beautiful, with a sweet face, the resin seemed so soft, her hands are so cute. And she was so expensive I still can’t believe she’s really mine. It’s weird for a inanimate object to make you feel so warm, but she just makes me feel more creative and inspired just by looking at her on my shelf.

I hope your first doll experience is as lovely as mine was :)

2. They are so pretty once you receive them in hand. My first took me by surprise because even though I knew her size via specs on the website its so much different to see the doll and handle it in person. It made me appreciate the workmanship that goes into the dolls so much more.

3. Congratulations for a first doll!

As far as I remember, my first doll came when I was in school, all I wanted is coming home right away for sure. The first BJDs was not like another dolls, the feeling was very different! It's kinda like you have a baby after over 9 months of pregnancy, so emotional that time. And trust me, the feeling of first doll is kinda special, you might only have once of a life time...

4. Congratulations on your first doll! I don't have mine yet x.x But i can't wait to experience it and have her finally~

5. I almost called in sick on the day my doll was set to arrive so I could be home to pick him up right away. I was thrilled when I got him to stand on his own right away and have really only come to love him more every day. I was afraid once the honeymoon phase was over I wouldn’t love him as much but he gives me so many outlets for my creativity that I’ve really bonded with him on a deep level.

Some people might think it’s silly but when I first opened him up and got him dressed, it was like falling in love. He was so handsome, even though I hadn’t put his proper eyes in yet, he just look so beautiful.

6. I was so excited when i received my first doll head (ordered his body few days later). He looks so small and cute in person as opposed to his cool looks in the promotional pictures. I kept staring at him even though he was just a blank egg :sweat

7. Im a very emotional, dramatic person, so my first doll was quite the experience. I was visiting Korea and bought my girl in the nine9style cafe! I got to hold her instantly, dress her and love her. I smiled so wide and laughed so much I mustve looked like a psychopath to the koreans O.o I treated her like she was made of thin glass the entire subway ride back to the apartment I was staying in. I avoided bumping people like my life depended on it. I mustve taken a million "welcome home" photos of my girl. Honestly i'm still so into this hobby almost two years later and not much has changed. Every new doll creates a party in my heart! I get so anxious waiting for each one, and I still treat them like they are made of solid gold. no one touches them but me.

8. First of all, congratulation for getting your first doll.
      I got my first doll last summer after I return into the hobby. I remember other doll owners in a chat group helped me on making the decision. After searching for few days, I bought a secondhand Snow from Dollzone. It was really exciting and sad when my doll finally arrived with other doll stuffs I got. He looks amazing, but one of his finger is damaged.
      But the excitement of getting my first doll cannot by compared to the excitement I got few days ago, which the doll I want is finally opened for pre-order. I had been talking to the creator for half years, and it was dream come true for me to finally able to own him.

9. Nerve-wracking for sure!

I bought my first BJD during a limited run of 11 dolls only, and I was so excited when I got the confirmation email that I had actually been able to purchase him (they sold out in under two minutes). I also remember the dropping feeling in the pit of my stomach when it came out that there had been a malfunction on the website and it wasn't certain I'd gotten him after all; so many people had been trying to order at the same time that they had actually technically sold more than the 11 that they had! I stayed up literally all night long on this forum chatting with others in the same boat and wondering when I was going to get my PayPal refund.

And then...he ended up being mine! What a huge rush of relief!

The experience of unboxing when he arrived many months later was also nerve-wracking. My parents were both present and I was afraid I wasn't going to like him and would have to hide that reaction from them. He ended up wowing all of us, although I very quickly felt I was in over my head due to all of his crazy moving and removable parts and especially his size (70cm). I immediately sent him off for a new faceup and body blushing and felt a lot more bonded with him when he returned home.

Incidentally, I still have and love him. I have since bought very few other 70cm+ dolls however. XD

10. Mine was at a doll meet where this lady was selling full sets of delf zuzus, well mine was a fullset the others weren't. And I fell in love with them. Though they definitely changed XD they used to be this princess sparkly doll and now they turned into a more mori angry child.

11. I had been collecting American Girl Dolls since I was five (I was raised by 3 adults with very limited interaction with other children so I was trusted with more delicate things early on), but I had started seeing BJDs on the internet and wanted one so badly, but due to their price it was way out of the question. I had initially wanted one of Doll Zone's msds, but when I tried looking for one second hand on Tumblr I came across a Resinsoul Mei and fell head over heels in love at once. After pining after her for months, my mom offered to get a new one straight from Resinsoul for me for my 16th birthday as long as I paid for the faceup. Opening her on my birthday was absolutely magical. If I thought I loved her when I saw her on the internet, that was nothing compared to how much I loved her when I unzipped her case and saw her in person. Four years later she is still my most precious little girl and the love hasn't faded a bit (though her faceup has!)

12. I was really busy with university projects at the time so my attention is divided. But once I was able to touch my doll, it's like, my face was cemented in a smiling position. A sudden realization hit me that after 8 years of dreaming of owning a doll, and after countless times of me not believing myself, I finally did it. ;; v ;;

13. I can say I has two first times.
      My first doll was a recast (oops) but I very much wanted her. It was exactly a year ago. I was so happy and excited! It felt like I had given birth to a baby.
      The year passed, I learned more about the hobby and decided to go legit and stay recast free so I sold my doll and bought my Myoudoll BoHe.
      I did a live on her Instagram and it was amazing to share the box opening with my followers and friends- I screamed and laughed. She felt so perfect, so solid and I knew right there how much it was worthy to go legit.

14. pretty exciting and also highly relatable to @toufufu's experience. i had plans to go home for winter break during grad school. my bjd was predicted to arrive only a couple days before my flight home, so of course the package was "attempted" to be delivered to my address and then brought back to sit in the post office. (lies, i was home and heard no doorbell!) so i ... promptly walked through cold wind and snow to pick up this bjd from the post office and bring it back so i could finish packing up my luggage and fly out the next day.

once home i tried and failed to wait until christmas to open my dearmine. failing being the operative word. well ... i opened him at 2am on christmas day while my sister watched, no idea what i was doing, except that is was all very exciting and very much harkening back to childhood joy, lol. i remember the weight and resin smoothness of my oz being really impressive, and loving the face up! i'd been a fan of dearmine for years before finally being able to own one.

15. Im in the same place as you, but ive been waiting on mine since February. I am having mine sent to a po box since i dont live in the best neighborhood. The day i get the delivery notice will be the longest EVER. I will let you know if she is worth the wait^.^

16. I lurked here on the forum for...oh, I'd say maybe three years before I finally took the plunge and got my first doll. It took me quite awhile to find that perfect doll, and I ogled him from afar for a year before finally having "The Talk" with my mother (we share finances). Y'all can probably imagine my excitement when she said "Go ahead and order him, and just be careful with the rest of your money." I placed my order and waited.

Three months later, on a cold, gray day in March, The Box arrived. I was...apprehensive. I thought "Alright, I spent three hundred bucks on this guy. What if he's not as nice as I thought he'd be? What if he's damaged? What if I just don't like him?" But at the same time I was very excited, so I unwrapped the box and opened it up...he was beautiful. "Oh, he's so pretty," I sighed to my mother. His face-up was flawless, his resin was sanded, and he had GRAY GLASS EYES!!! I was expecting ordinary blue or brown eyes, so the gray was a pleasant surprise. Another comment I made was "Oh, so that's what resin smells like!" I'd been curious about what my doll would smell like; he didn't smell too strongly, but enough that I could tell he was new.

I named my new arrival Johnny, and three years later he's still got a special place among my ball-jointed dolls. He no longer smells of new resin, and his face-up is no longer flawless, but I love him and I'll have to be pretty desperate before I'll part with him.

17. I was so excited getting my first doll! I looked at the stock photo of her a lot of times and when I finally got her and opened my box I thought for a moment that she's the wrong doll xD! She looked so different in 3D infront of me, that I really had to hold her stock photo beside her to check. So in the end I learned that a photo can't show the depths of the dolls face when I got my first doll :3.

18. Strange!!! Soo, strange! I couldn't believe how beautiful the doll was... Especially since I received a doll with a face-up, I was blown away by the amount of detail and attention... Also, the size was actually a little bit overwhelming! I thought he'd be smaller (60cm SD...) :blush

19. It was incredibly exciting. The wait was horrible though. Possibly the longest 6 months of my life. For the first two months I had to force myself to think about something else. It...wasn't easy. Somehow I had managed and didn't start getting excited again until I got my tracking number! I had some 1/6 Hujoo dolls already but getting my first resin BJD was just as amazing as my very first doll. I wasn't expecting him to be so big at 1/4. Not to mention heavier. I can only imagine how shocked I would have been if my first had been 1/3 like I had originally wanted, haha.

20. I didn't know it would take a couple months for it to ship to me so I basically thought Luts stole my money, gyped me and wouldn't be sending my Bory. Well, surprise surprise when he finally arrived and I was so happy. Every doll since just leaves me in a ball of nerves and anxiety in the waiting game lol. Better that way than just giving up hope of it ever coming in so I take it as a blessing. I still love that doll, original faceup and all.