1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

What was the biggest mistake you ever made in the hobby?

Mar 31, 2015

1. The biggest mistake I made was holding a black painted mask too tight on my dolls face so she'd get a little dark smudge on her cheek. I then tried to rub it off and a little of the blushing came off too x.x Fortunately there's a face up artist in my city and she fixed the blushing on the cheek for me.
      But from now on I'm careful about all things touching my girls faces!

2. Not getting a Bishonen House boy when I had the chance. *L* Instead, I went with a 'cheaper' doll which was a 70cm DZ Wing head on an Obitsu body with the boy chest piece. (!!) This was long, long before the 65cm boy came out, back in 2006 or 2007. Bishonen House had a LE elf or I could have had one specially made... so long ago now. I ended up going through several bodies, heads and mods for my boy which all equaled at LEAST the cost of the doll I could've just gotten outright and been happy with! But it was my first doll and my first foray into the BJD world, so mistakes will occur. I'm much better at hybridizing now! And much, MUCH better at cost effectiveness when it comes to BJDs. 2nd biggest was sculpey elf ears. Now that was a big, clunky, goofy mistake and I only made it once. *knocks on wood*

I think more a learning experience rather than mistake was being afraid to buy resin dolls. My first 5 were all Obitsus because resin scared me. I now have only one Obistu remaining (still outstanding engineering and poseability) and can't fathom why I was resin-reticent. Or tan-scared. A lot has changed over the years.

3. Uh oh! That's unfortunate. I would be so terrified and upset lmao.
      I'm so glad you got your dollie fixed up, though!

4. So far, falling in love and buying a fairyland Minifee. They are so pricey! *_*

5. Getting started in this hobby in the first place...no, no, just kidding! I love this hobby! One of my mistakes was not listening to my inner voice and denying myself SD dolls for illogical reasons. I used to think SD's were too expensive and bigger than anything I've ever collected (two feet! wow!). I finally got over it, and now have three SD's. I'm far more happier and satisfied with my collection now that I have the ones I should have gotten in the first place. I look back on all the money spent on wrong dolls that I could be spending on the right ones now...THAT is the biggest mistake, but lesson learned!

6. Hmm... While there has been a fair bit of trial and error involved in my time with the hobby, I can only think of one really huge mistake I made. I got involved in a shared-world role-play sort-of thing with a couple of friends "back in the day".

I don't have any regrets about the friends part of it. That was fun... The shared-world role-play bits, though? Oh, heck no. That was a disaster, and I was an idiot for not realizing just how big of a mistake it was going to be right from the start. So, never again. NEVER. It didn't end well, and I learned my lesson.

The whole mess *did* end up making me realize that I really am more of a "Collector"-type than a "Story"-type where these dolls are concerned, though, and that was useful even if everything else about it was a massive clusterf--k, so I guess in the end I can't say it was all bad.

7. My biggest mistake was collecting SD size. I thought bigger was better, right? Especially since I was wanting to sew my own costumes. But they completely overwhelmed their decorated display spaces, and that just didn't work for me personally (which took me an entire year and several dolls to figure out.) I made the very difficult decision to sell them all and start over with MSD size. It was the best decision I ever made.

8. I traded my Aria head for a Soo head and totally forgot to ask the person I traded with to trade COAs as well. So I now have a Soo with an Aria COA. I can't remember who I did the trade with, so I can't message them to see if they still have the COA.

9. Didn't get Nanuri 2014 when I had the chance. Now I'll probably never find her. U_U

10. Mine is starting into this hobby too late! There are some limited dolls which I really fall for them but they have been sold out for ages and I can't find any clue where to get them now. A big miss T T !!

Sent from my X9006 using Tapatalk

11. Well, so far it's been not getting the sleepy head for Minifee Liria. I didn't feel like I needed it when ordering, but the closer I get to receiving the doll, the more I'm starting to regret it. :doh

I hope I could find one second hand later, but as if it isn't gonna be hard enough already, I picked the company face-up and it's gonna make it even harder to find the sleepy head, since I like the default and probably don't want to change it.

12. my experience was from a non-bjd doll

it was a blythe
      i was attempting for a haircut
      it was perfect until that point....after i freed out everything coz i think she is done, then j noticed a little spot i didnt like.
      without a 2nd thought i cut ut...realizing in horror right after the protection was freed and i cut her pull right O_o

13. Yeah, started too late for me.
      If I had started collecting when I first got interested in these dolls, I would have such an awesome collection by now!

14. Buying clothing in the wrong size. XD

15. yes!
      i was interested in bjds but didnt buy any and continue my blythe collection
      it was lati that got my interest then and now
      if only i had been collecting then!

16. I still regret parting with my very first doll, though at the time, it was the right decision. He's in a loving home now, with someone who was drawn into the hobby because of seeing him in the first place, but I still wish I could have him back. I got the same sculpt to replace him, but Leeke no longer makes the wig I had for him that I absolutely loved, so I'm struggling on accepting him as the same character, even though his current wig is lovely...

17. I regret not saving for the dolls I wanted and instead settling for cheap ones, I've learned since then but even though it seems harder it's worth it to save up for the perfect doll!!!

I've also messed up a few mods before beyond repair and that's super annoying, just going slow is the best option.

18. I have sold one of my first dolls, at the time I was new to the hobby and wanted lots of different sculpts/dolls. I wasn't able to find the doll of that particular sculpt for a long time after that, and I felt sorry for selling it so easily and without a good thought.

19. Going cheap on shipping and not getting tracking for a head. I'm sure it's somewhere having tea with a hatter.

20. I brought a recast minifee once :( worst mistake ever as there quite horrible it was a stupid convulsive buy, i will never ever do that again, there not anything like minifees quality