1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

What would Freud say?

Jul 12, 2009

1. Your comment made me instantly think of "Hoarders" ~ what would the fathers of psychology say about them?? Major dominance issues!
      But, seriously...I appreciate what you had to say. I'm curious about your term paper...sounds interesting!

2. True... Though when I said obvious, I actually meant the most common, go-to answer due to the fact that most people might easily come to said conclusion without really investigating. I wonder if he thought it was an unnatural thing to collect. I wonder if he thought that (women, at least) unconsciously wanted children, and mothers unconsciously wanted more due to his theories of human nature?

This is turning into an interesting discussion.

3. Somebody once compared me with the woman who collects dolls in Stephen King's Tommyknockers. This person also claimed that I have these dolls because I don't have children. In fact, I don't want to have children. I have absolutely no mother instinct.

I think a reason for buying dolls could be some kind of shopping addiction. I personally love shopping (which could also have psychological reasons) and I spend quite a lot of money on clothes.

But the main reason why I buy dolls is because I think they are pretty. It's fun to buy and dress them. I love looking at them and I enjoy taking pictures of them.

4. Oohh! I love this topic...
      Well, on the first page someone said something about fetishism, and someone(s?) brought up the artistic aspect...and I figured myself out. I greatly appreciate things that are handmade and beautiful. To a point, I idolize them. To me, owning a doll that allowes me to try and create beautiful things myself is very fulfilling, in the same way that a pilgrimage to a holy place could be fulfilling to some.
      Some people might keep a little stone figure as a fetish, I'd be more likely to keep a doll shoe...

I love psychology, so analyzing people is fun...I think I might analyze myself a bit too much...>.<

5. o my...I don't get into that psychology stuff...I am a psychologist myself :P but I do agree a bit on the shopping addiction reason above, although I first thought the dolls were soooo expensive I would never get one..but I think they are pretty. For me, buying dolls, was also something I needed to 'get over' some sort of shame that I like to dress other than regular and like to collect/have dolls. I think dolls are pretty. I already made a step to wear lolita clothing, buying Little Apple Dolls. I consider it actually as getting more mature or maybe not mature, but doing and collecting things that I feel are pretty without feeling ashamed for it.

so as I am speaking I can give it a try what Freud would've said anyway..he would say that I (just speaking for myself now) have unfinished business in one of the early/mid childhood stages, and now I have to experience/live it to move on to a next stage..or something like that! Or he just says I am giving my ego of superego actually her way..just because my superego sees something and I cannot resist my superego's will..

6. I know that this thread has been moved to the second page, but I found a very interesting blog called "You Are Not So Smart". It's actually a very interesting site. I came upon an entry describing "The Perils of Introspection", which discussed why we like what we like as well as how do we know that.

It reminded me of this thread, so I thought I'd share it.

7. Freud would say I have a fear of social rejection, particularly from females, and that I use my dolls as a way to safely practice forming attatchments.

Probably. Either that or I got scared by a horse that looked like my dad.

8. I can't answer for anyone else, but as far as I am concerned--

I had a happy childhood.
      I don't want children and dolls are poor replacement for a child anyway. If I wanted something to nurture, I'd get a dog--they require a fair amount of care and attention.
      I am not expressing any sexual fetishes through things I buy (such as dolls).
      I have friends and relatives to talk to if I want company.

Are there psychological reasons behind collecting coins? Or collecting dvds? Or collecting music? Or collecting wealth? Or whatever?

Sure. But then there are reasons behinds doing just about anything that humans do!

----------------------
      You can google stuff... here's what Wikipedia says the psychologist think about collecting--

Psychologists perspectives

Psychologists have often taken a Freudian perspective when describing why people collect.
      They highlight the controlling and impulsive dark side to collecting, the need for people to have "an object of desire." This desire, and hence the innate propensity to collect, begins at birth. The infant first desires the emotional and physical comfort of the nourishing breast, then the familiar baby blanket the child clings to for comfort and security. Stuffed animals, favorite toys are taken to bed and provide the emotional security needed to fall asleep. A sense of ownership and control is facilitated through possession of these items for the vulnerable child. Freud himself took a more extreme position on the origins of collecting. Not surprisingly, he postulated that all collecting stems from unresolved toilet training conflict. Freud took the stance that the loss of bowel control was a traumatic experience, and the product from the bowels was disgusting and frightening to the child. Therefore the collector is trying to gain back control of their bowels as well as their "possessions" which were long flushed down the toilet.Where Freud linked object fixation to the anal-retentive stage in childhood, Muensterberger, in his perspective paper "Unruly Passion" believes collecting to be a "need-driven compensatory behavior where every new object effectively gives the notion of fantasized omnipotence." Jung had his own theories about why people become collectors. He touted the influence of archetypes on behavior. These universal symbols are embedded in what he termed our collective unconscious. Using this logic, collecting and completing sets have as their archetypal antecedents the collecting of "nuts and berries" once needed for survival by our early ancestors.

There is the happiness from adding a new find to the collection, the excitement of the hunt, the social camaraderie when sharing their collection with other collectors.

-------------------------------

I think the happy side of collecting plays a part in my bjd-love. I love looking at them and hunting down the ones I want and going to meetups.

But more important for most bjd-owners is the creative/artistic outlet. It can just be in appreciating creativity and art involved with bjds. Or in expressing it through a doll. Or in just crafting--making things, modding things. That seems to be the main thing for most people (including myself).

9. I would have to disagree with Leenah's quote and partially with E.Hadrian

I am a male.

I don't know if dolls are necessarily only associated with kids. Video games and comic books have the same association with a 'kids-only-buy-these-things' but the bulk of their respective fan bases aren't kids.

When I first looked for my dolls I made sure they looked like women, not kids, because they were substituting for the women models I had worked with in the past. Looking cute in the face doesn't mean kid-like. I worked with several models who were cute but they were not kids.

Even the (4) Pullips I bought were for a specific photo-shoot but I saw them as characterized versions of women. Similar to when a person has their portrait done at a fair or carnival; big head, small body.

And even if dolls were a substitute for kids it would be better that a person has the dolls than going out and causing real harm to real kids.

But I know that being labeled a 'pedophile' is definitely one thing people think when they know a man has dolls -along with being labeled 'gay' or 'crazy'.

10. Sure why not. I collect dolls because... I want to. Why do I want to? I think they are neater than mini tea sets, which I used to think were cool enough to collect. Why? Uh, don't know. I like how you can change wigs and clothes and how the resin is carved to be lifelike but manipulatable sort of like customizable statues...

Oh, come on, why do people collect anything, it's because it's an object that happens to catch a person's eye and the rest is history. Not much reason dolls are special.

11. I like them because
      1. I have full control over every last detail
      2. It makes me feel luxurious/rich to have them
      3. There is no commitment needed to keep them alive
      4. I can express myself through them in ways I can't irl
      5. They are, to me, aesthetically (NOT sexually) pleasing
      I already know my issues, though, and how my dolls fit into that.

12. In my case, Freud would say that I like these dolls because I don't have or can't have kids and I want to have kids. So, the dolls are a replacement for this desire I can't unfortunately have.

In reality, I just like tiny things and the art side of this hobby. :)