1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

What you look for in Male dolls

Mar 25, 2016

1. Hello!!:3nodding:
      I've been thinking of getting a male doll after my complete obsession with female dolls and I realised that it's really hard to decide what sculpt to get! So I would like to know what everyone looks for in male dolls and which kind they prefer!
      For example maybe masculine faces and bodies vs maybe younger more feminine features? Or maybe specific features like the shape of their eyes?

I would also love to see your favourite male sculpts as well! :blush

2. For me, it depends on what character I'm trying to shell, but there are some regular things I usually look for. I prefer more realistic faces and masculine sculpts over anime or the innocent young boys with huge eyes. I usually prefer SD size boys to take size 10-14mm eyes. I like slim bodies, but toned and pose well. Big hands! Even better if they have veins sculpted. Tiny hands or feet ruin a male doll for me. A fairly standard size doll so buying clothes is easy. Of course, I look for the same standards on some things as I would female dolls, like resin quality, customer service, posing, and proportions.

3. I really, reeeally love masculine dolls, so I always look for bodies that are really muscular. For faces, I like realistic dolls with a defined jaw line. Angular faces with some contrasting soft features are great! I do like feminine male dolls, but I often dislike the really flat bodies and features. I usually just stick with really masculine dolls.

4. For male dolls, I like masculine sculpts with strong arms and legs, and a broad chest. For facial features, I prefer strong jawline or interesting physical features like pouty lips, frowning expressions etc depending on the character I'm trying to convey. I've also found a liking for dreaming male dolls/ lidded eyes :3

5. Totally depends on the character - although I do have fav looks. I have most of my guys now, so am actively looking for a couple just for me - one that looks like Kim Jae Joong would be lovely.... I have 2 EIDs & I will have to get one HID, I have several 70cm, some beefier than others (AngellStudio, Dollzone, DikaDoll, Ringdoll, Souldoll); I have an SID guy, a Volks SD17 guy & a Volks SDGrwn body, a Soom Gem & a 72 Idealian, and some 62 cm boys. Also have a Limhwa Mano, & am getting a Bobobie/ResinSoul Fang, and I have a Dollshe Saint. So I've quite the variety.

AND can I just add how STUPID I was not to put EID Leonard on layaway when he first came out? OMG ~sad~

#5 Teleri, Mar 25, 2016
      Last edited: Apr 7, 2016
    6. I thought I liked the less cute/more masculine look, but then I caught myself buying really cutesy hair clips and accessories for my guy so I don't even know anymore. LOL

7. nose shape is a major factor in whether i like a face sculpt or not. i've noticed that all my favorite male sculpts have strongly defined, regal looking noses! examples of boys with beautiful noses (imo) are migidoll ell, migidoll ryu, loongsoul ivan, migidoll yujin, luts ssd flood, etc

8. I like very masculine men, usually with sharp, angular features, wide mouths, smaller eyes, and *very* substantial noses. I think Granado has some of the most appealing men out there right now, but Unidoll Jace is *always* going to be my favorite man. ^o^ (But oh, Ringdoll K is begging to come home.) And I'm such a sucker for knobby, veiny hands--"working man" hands, if you will.

9. I looked at all of my dolls and I only have boys so far and the majority of them have small eyes. When looking for a boy, I mainly look at their facial expression and make sure their eyes aren't too big. I have one doll with bigger eyes but that's the way his character is supposed to look.

I like both masculine and effeminate boys so that always makes it harder for me to decide. Some of my favorite companies for boy sculpts are IOS, Soul Doll, Miracle Doll, and Granado.

10. I really go for the other side, i prefer the cute boys with big eyes and androginus face. I don't have a favorite company for boys, but i love volks Okita Souji, switch Shiho and migidoll Jina. I really like dollshe Saint too, but that is a doll i will not have. There are a lot of nice manly sculpts i like to see, but i don't consider one for me, Maybe someday ^^.

11. Like a lot of people have mentioned, it depends on the character. Though I do look at nose and eye shape/size. I also look for a more structured jaw.

12. I started my collection of bjd's originally from seeing a male Iplehouse Claude painted by a well known artist. He was the most beautiful male doll I had ever seen and decided to buy one and have him painted. I love the Iplehouse male dolls, especially the SID and EID but I found out quickly that they take up way to much room and one dressed, I don't redress as it takes so long on these guys - but how I love their sculpts and the clothing that the company makes available.

13. I am completely all over the board with my boys. I have no preference at all - I have cute\big eyes, pretty boys, masculine men, strange, creepy, smiling, frowning, really smiling, neutral....seriously I have no pattern at all. I do prefer skinny, long and lanky bodies to muscle men, but I have\had\will have both.

14. When it comes to male sculpts, I love the beauty and realism of Iplehouse. And when it comes to Iplehouse, Leonard, with his big ol' nose, catlike eyes and tiny smile is still my favorite boy.
      [​IMG]
      Of course it's all about personal taste. Eventually you're bound to stumble across your own idea of "The One" when you're browsing sites. ;)

15. Looking at my own wishlist I would say I tend to fall for melancholy looking guys and they are more in the anime-like range (example: volks Williams). Some specific things I look for in male sculpt is probably the nose shape and the hands, I personally prefer more slope-y(don't know if that's the right word)/narrow noses as I find that curvy(?) nose are really hard to photograph especially in profile or 3/4 angle XD. As for hands, they shouldn't just be curvy sticks stuck to a plain rectangle with two awkward ditches that resemble the plam line, I look for some degree of realisticity and they should look manly.

16. I only have one male doll, he´s a Soom Crom because I really like the sculpt. I don´t use to feel "comfortable" with male dolls, I can´t explain why.. I love my Crom but I think I will not buy any other male....

The best for me was the asian looking and the nose, Crom´s nose is awesome.

17. My entire collection is male (35 dolls) and I have no interest in female dolls. That being said, I am all over the place with regards to type. I have dolls as big as 68cm and as small as 11cm. Some are realistic and some are anime-style. I also have an anthropomorphic and an alien-looking one. Human, fairies, winged, fanged, tailed, horned, hooved... I'm all over the place depending on what the character needs.

I think you need to decide what you're going to be doing with the male doll to narrow down your options. Is he to be a partner to an existing doll you have? A friend? A child? Just answering those questions will cut the size question down to something manageable. If he's going to be interacting with another of your dolls, that could affect the style (realistic/anime) you choose. The personality of the character (if you have one already in mind) will also affect the sculpt you choose (smiling, grumpy, open-eye, sleeping eye).

18. I'm another one who doesn't like muscular dolls. It's a littlw bit too intimidating for me to have a full-on man of a resin sitting in my room. I'd rather have the boyish ones, with chubby body. So I rather like bobobie body, sdgr body, doll dollzone body.. Can't think of more. And I don't like extra pudgy faces either. I like luts faces. April Story is bit too much of a baby for me. Switches are also beautiful. Are you thinking about SD or msd? Msd has a lot of boys with a more boyish body and faves which i like!

19. I look for specific features that suit a character. I have a girl obsession too, but a lot of male characters. For Grim, it was a smirk and a leaner build (this I have to hybrid for. I'm sure he loves that.) for Thanatos it was a sculpt available in dark tan, with a lot more muscle and then Iplehouse Kamau's lips made it impossible for me to like any other sculpt. War/Sol/Li/whoever the Frankenstein is just happened cause I really liked the detail to Ringdoll Frankenstein's body. One of the dolls I'm planning is a relatively feminine SD male, and one I'm just paying off is a large, muscular SD male. I'm all over the place. I confess, however, I dunno how exactly to break a girl addiction, as I have way more girls planned, though that might just be a part of who I am. Just like in real life, I can't force attraction to guys, maybe in the hobby, for purely aesthetic reasons, others just aren't interested in one gender of dolls.

20. @cherryquf Msd size!

Thanks for your helpful replies guys :lol: