1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

What's the Appeal of the Sleeping BJD?

Jul 15, 2010

1. I don't really get it either. Having a doll with both the open eye and sleeping versions of the same sculpts is fun, because it gives you even more options, but having just the sleeping head really limits you. But to each their own.

2. For me, sleeping and dreaming heads have a completely different sort of look, sometimes a bit of serenity that the open-eyed heads don't have. They look like they're lost in deep thought to me, closing their eyes to the distractions of the outside world for better introspection.

3. I like sleeping heads that you can switch out with open eyed heads, so you can photograph them 'sleeping'. It's great for photostories! Otherwise, I don't really feel a need for them:)

4. I own 1 sleeping bjd.I love him.It is very relaxing to have him sit by me and he always looks so calm and comforting.I also like to put him next to me when I'm sleeping:3nodding:

5. I would love to own one ! They are more and more appealing to me. I feel inspired by looking at them, they seem so quiet still so alive... So yeah, I'd definitely love to have one around !

6. They're just so sweet and peaceful. I've got a lot of dreamy boys and girls on my wishlist.

7. I never thought I'd be posting on this thread, but I just ordered a sleeping head! :lol: Before just a few days ago, I used to see this thread come up on the discussion forum and ignore it, thinking literally "I don't see the appeal of a sleeping BJD." Then a couple of days ago I found out about MSDoll and fell head over heels for their many sleeping dolls. They look like little angels :chibi And looking back at past posts on the thread, serene, calm, dreamy, peaceful, comforting are all words that describe exactly what the appeal of sleeping BJDs really is!
      I can't wait to make a project out of a sleeping head >3<

8. I think they are really adorable and almost angelic. I absolutely adore photos where the camera looks down on sleeping heads, that is the perfect angle for them. And I'm really sad I missed out on the Dollzone Hal sleeping head, that doll is so beautiful.

9. I don't really see the point on having a sleeping head as I don't really see the point on having BJDs with really expressive faces (like laughing mouths or other marked expressions) because I think it is very limiting (for me).
      I prefer to have a doll with a more neutral expression so it can look happy or sad with the right angle and the right mood around it.

10. I use a Resinsoul Fei to represent a blind character. Her mostly-closed eyes work well to indicate that because she doesn't ever appear to visually focus on anything.

I also think it adds a certain serenity to her expression...

[​IMG]

11. I personally love how calm sleeping heads can look. It gives them a certain peaceful demeanor, a dreamlike quality, if you will! I think I definitely enjoy romantic/daydream heads, too.

12. Emerging like Brigadoon from the mists here myself to say this thread makes me recall a debate I had with my good friend Matt some years ago at the NYC Volks Dolpa when they offered us both an awake and sleeping version of the YoSD White Rabbit Boy. I bought the adorable awake version, but longed to get the sleeping version too. My friend Matt wanted him as well, and our conversation went something like this:

Me: "Look at him Matt! He's so sweet!"
      Matt: "He is cute, but we've bought so much already."
      Both of us in unison: "And all he does is sleep...."
      Matt: "But I really like him!"
      Me: "I do too!"
      Matt: "Are you getting him?"
      Me: "I want to...but all he does is sleep."
      Matt: "Yeah, but look at him, he's so cute doing it!"

Well, we went on like that the whole weekend and somehow each managed to talk ourselves out of purchasing that little sleeping YoSD. Time passed, and I'd look at photos of other sleeping dolls, yet none ever struck me the way that the White Rabbit boy had. I couldn't get over my regret at not having bought him when I'd had the chance, and playing with his awake counterpart only made me long all the more to have both of them. Eventually, I was able to get my sleepy little bunny boy from someone here in the Marketplace and just seeing him dozing brings me joy. I still don't normally go for sleeping or dreaming dolls, and really can't explain the attraction I have to this particular one, except now he reminds me of all the fun I had with Matt and a bunch of our friends at that Dolpa.

Juli DC :)

13. Big difference to me between sleeping heads & dreaming heads (half open eyes - or half closed, whichever). I've NO sleeping heads - would only get one if I had the awake version. However, I've three dreaming sculpts - I prefer IH Gentle Freezia & DikaDoll Sleeping Murong (he's really not - his eyes are half-open) to their wide-awake versions! I believe my LoongSoul girl only came in the dreaming version.

14. I don't think I would ever want just a sleeping head, but having both open and closed eye heads for a sculpt would be great. There's just so much you can do with closed eye heads besides sleeping. We close our eyes in pleasure, when we focus, when we relax, when we need to block out the world... A closed eye face just brings in so many new opportunities.