1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

What's the Appeal of the Sleeping BJD?

Jul 15, 2010

1. I ahve several dreaming heads with dolls that have half closed eyes and I really like them (they can portray looks of cool expressions which are hard to get with opens eyes, sneaky/plotting, sensuous, calm, thinking) but I don't think I would ever want a doll with eyes closed all the way - to me it's just to weird to have them posed standiing around upright with their eyes completley closed..

2. Me personally, I like some sleeping/dreaming heads because they can be modded and make into scarred eyed/blind characters easier then apoxying the eyes shut.

I have a sleeping MNF Shiwoo V. and he looks so serene.... I also have a Dreaming Lu-Wen V. and he gives me glares all the time, but he looks like a bad-a** which fits his character to a 'T'

3. Actually there really is a Dollfie Dream named Nemu (appropriate) which has a "sweet dreams" counterpart head.

4. Before I thought dreaming/sleeping heads were nice to look at, but I wouldn't want to own one because it'd be stuck in that same expression forever... but now I see it as a good thing, like they're eternally dreaming/thinking about some far off place and they can never be interrupted/disturbed. Especially for tinies, they look like they're children who fall asleep easily/are always sleepy, which is cute. >u< I kind of want a doll with a dreaming/sleeping face now..x)

5. I just love it when I have a sleeping head available for a doll I already have an Open Eyed head for. Then I can take pics of them asleep, or relaxing, or kissing with eyes closed.. I think it gives me a lot more range. I probably wouldn't ever have a doll with ONLY a sleeping face.

6. When I bought my DZ Yue sleeping mold I did have in mind opening his eyes. I was just a bit hesitant and almost a year went by before I finally sat down and got down to business.

The thing I like about sleeping heads is that I can choose the shape of the eyes, that it isn't all done for me. It's nice being in control of how you want your doll to look like.

7. Some "sleeping" sculpts are truly beautiful, but I don't think I would want one. Looking into my doll's eyes is very important to me.

8. I don't understand the appeal, myself. I think there are some really cute ones, but I would find myself less likely to get attached to a doll with closed eyes. Of course, I find changing out eyes one of the most annoying things...so maybe if I had a doll with closed eyes, I wouldn't have to. Hehe. That would be my appeal towards it. I think sleeping faceplates are better, because then you have one for when they're awake too.

9. Oh, I'm a relic - I remember a very interesting thread on the same topic when I was brand spanking new on DoA in 2005.... Well, some things has happened since then, so here goes:

I love sleeping or dozing heads, but I don't think I would ever want a permanently sleeping doll. I want option heads to dolls I have waking heads for.

There are so many expressions you can do with a sleeping or dozing doll. It can of course look sleepy or dozing, but also thougtful, bashful, suffused with joy, in the throes of passion, and so on.

Here is a very modest example - my unoa Yuna is touched by a letter she has received:

[​IMG]

10. While most of mine are Tender/Dreaming heads, I have had a couple of sleepers--one is a fire elemental, and I thought it would probably be best to keep him snoozing most of the time ;). The other head, a sleeping Soah, was limited in use, though I did enjoy seeing her one day flopped in her rocker--it was 95 degrees F and really humid and she looked like she was doing what we all wanted to do!
      Having one narcoleptic doll around is fun--I wouldn't want it to be my only doll, but they are a nice addition.

11. A friend of mine said to me that she didn't really like the sleeping heads.. I think it really would add a little more posing factors to the doll.. For example.. some would look really cute sleeping and you could capture that.. or many other things... If you enjoy taking a lot of pictures and want more variety. :>

12. My crew is all about variety and ecclecticism...no two dolls are even from the same company, and that is by deliberate design. So it was only natural that I'd be drawn to the idea of having a sleeping/dreaming doll just for something different. What I was not prepared for was how much I would fall in love with her and how strong a personality she would have! I swear, this doll just took off on her own, character-wise, and became something I truly fell in love with. I initially saw her as a simple shadow spirit...but she became a deceased Elven mystic who is even more powerful in death. She "lives" in a crypt where people bring her spiritual offerings and ask for her help. Like Kim mentioned earlier, she is enlightened and doesn't need to open her eyes to see.

13. YOU CAN OPEN THEM? :aeyepop: How do you do that?! Because I have one and I happened to choose it simply to have something different since I already had one with eyes that were open :kitty1 But I am sad that's all it'll ever be :| I thought maybe if I had another head I'd be able to switch em out :XD:

I also wonder if they have bjds with eyes that can move, as in flutter; like the lids can open and close like some old dolls?

14. I have a sleepy face boy and I was just wondering what does everyone else think of sleepy dolls?
      And what is your favorite sleepy doll? ^.^ My personal favorite is the sleeping Pado from Dollmore, just because of how sweet she is.:aheartbea

15. Well I have my illusion spirit Cantarella he always looks so smug it is sweet. I find it harder though to involve him much as he is always asleep!!

16. I love the look of sleeping heads in photos but I have found them a bit hard to love in real life and have sold on the few sleeping heads I have bought. It's just like they become more of a sculpture than a doll to me and you just dress them and leave them displayed but I don't feel any connection to them somehow. So, beautiful, but not for me.

17. I love sleeping dolls! <3 My favorite is MSdoll Drayton, though I don't own one myself(yet!)

18. I have a couple of sleepy eyed dolls, but I'm drawn to dolls with narrow/small eyes anyway, so I'm not surprised they call to me.

I love my little SM Taco to bits, though, she's so adorable with her little sleepy stare.

19. I prefer open eye dolls, for the most part, but I love sleeping faceplates as an alternate look for my dolls.

20. I love sleeping or tender eyes. My first doll, IH G.SooRi has tender eyes, its no surprise that I love sleeping eyes.