1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

What's the Appeal of the Sleeping BJD?

Jul 15, 2010

1. I kind of feel that they're limited too, but it would be cool to get a doll with both faces for different facial expressions.

I've only looked at two closed-eyed dolls. One just had such a sweet face I couldn't help but like him, and the other has this pained, angsty expression I've never seen on a doll before! He's beautiful. I must have him! I'm building his whole character around being a tortured soul.

2. I find to that they bring a different range of versatility than open eyed dolls. Though I don't own one yet, I've observed this in photographs. Dollzone Yue is still on my "to get" list, though others have surpassed him. I used to want the most realistic looking dolls as possible, though recently my interests have shifted. Having the eyes closed (often the most difficult thing to get to look believable), it allowed the doll to look believably human. At that point, that was why I was most drawn to them.

3. I can see getting a closed eye and an open eye version of a head just for more picture options. After all, taking pictures is half the fun! Ooo, and maybe getting a second closed eye one just so you can modify it for half-open eyes! I never thought of getting multiple heads for different expressions before! My poor wallet! *_*

4. I used to not be a fan of sleeping heads, but then I got a Shonki from Soom. I've found that the ZZZ head is perfect for all sorts of expressions which the regular head can't do... like sleeping, which is actually very important for a cat doll to be able to do convincingly :XD:

On the other hand, I still would never want a doll that only had a sleeping head. Romantic/daydreaming heads I don't mind, but a doll that could never do any non-closed eye expressions would feel too limiting to me.

5. I think the sleeping dolls have a more "innocent" look to them. I would never buy one though.

6. I used to have a sleeping doll and I opened the eyes. Then I regretted it because she had an innocence that was entirely lost without that expression. I'd like to have one again someday, but it would have to capture a similar energy for me.

7. I don't have one, but I can see the appeal. There's a certain beauty to a sleeping face, like a sleeping angel.

8. I prefer the open eyes but I guess the sleepy eye dolls look innocent or dreamy???

9. Closed eyes can make it look like the doll is annoyed, sad, sleeping, thinking, enjoying a situation, ...
      There are many possibilities how one can look at it. You can get many expressions out of it. That's why I like sleeping faces. If I get a doll with closed eyes though, I'd get an open eyed head of said doll, too. (like Luts has, f.e.)

10. I don't own any, but I like them. They look innocent and peaceful c:

11. It's weird, I never thought I liked sleeping face dolls, but my friend sort of gifted me her ZZZ Shonki head, and I painted him and I love him! It's true, there can be a wider variety of expression than you'd think. For Sherlock (Shonki ^ - ^ ) it's mostly tired, calm expressions, perhaps a little obviously... but I love him so much! I never thought I'd own a closed-eyes doll but here I am...

12. I just started teh doll journey and the sleepy faces are not my thing. I think it is one of those things that you want after you get into the dolly world. The options it gives you and so one.

13. I wasn't too fond of them until I saw a sleeping vampire head. I think it was called Drayton. He was really lovely. Sleeping dolls now look like otherworldly creatures to me.

14. I really enjoy this discussion.

When I first joined the hobby, I didn't understand the appeal AT ALL. Who would want to get one without the ability to change eye color, shape, and where they were looking? But after looking at hundreds of photos, if not thousands, I've come across many sleeping heads that have been used really creatively. Certain poses like reading, smelling flowers, sleeping, relaxing, snuggling, being sick, plotting. It all depends on how they're painted too. I'm not going to go out and buy a sleeping head, but I'd love to have one if it was free.

Though now I don't understand the appeal of very TINY eye slits of [manually] opened sleeping heads. It's like they're squinting. No one walks around like that, even if they're shy or plotting.

15. I remember thinking WTF..?? (well not that exactly but you get my point) when I first encountered the 'sleeping' bjd. But they really grew on me. They seem to be self-contained in their own imaginary universe, even more so than with an open-eye doll, they seem unperturbed and unperturbable. They seem mysterious and meditative, and I find their presence soothing. I don't have any sleepies at present, but I have often dreamed of getting a sleeping Momo by Dollstown.

16. My first doll is going to be a Crobidoll Ziwoo (Limited, I think?) And I absolutely fell in love with him. He looked so realistic, my friend agreed with me, and for once my friends actually thought he looked cute. Mainly because of the innocence that comes off of the doll, I suppose, he just looks like he's sleeping, or in another photo daydreaming, and even one where it looks like he's enjoying decorating a christmas tree. I agree definitely with the benefits of both sleeping/daydreaming dolls and open eyed. They're all special in their own way.

17. I really don't think I want a sleeping head w/o the 'awake' one - but I WOULD like both versions for my dolls (awake/sleeping).
      I am getting a dreaming doll - w/basically slitted eyes - for Ichimaru Gin... But you can see his eyes :d

18. My LTF Luna full-set came with a sleeping face plate - it is the only sleeping/dreaming face that I have. While I think it's very cute and serene, I never use it - it's tucked away in my resin parts box. I love looking at sleeping/dreaming dolls on others' pictures, but I find myself not displaying the sleeping Luna plate. I suppose this is because I love dolly eyes (changing, re-positioning, looking at, etc.) too much to go without :D

19. I used to really dislike sleeping heads but my opinion has changed recently. I acquired one in Leekeworld's Christmas box event and I love her to pieces. I was planning to mod the eyes open if I got a sleeping head but once she arrived I realized she was perfect with them the way they are.
      I doubt I will mess with her as much as my others, as well...No one has their eyes closed all of the time...but I do plan to make good use of her!

20. I don't care much for sleeping heads because I enjoy seeing the eyes of a doll. Picking an eye color is one of my favorite things to do for my dolls. I would definitely agree that both open and sleeping heads are equally expressive though. I do enjoy "romantic" or "SA" heads though ^^