1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

When do you have "too many" dolls?

Dec 26, 2009

1. That's a good guideline. Don't forget them, or otherwise it probably shouldn't be with you. Then you should probably pick money over doll.

2. It varies from person to person, but I'd say a good rule of thumb is 'when you're skipping out on basic utilities (bills, food, etc.) to buy dolls, you have too many'.

3. when you cant fit them in your house lol!

4. When you have no place for another one.

5. Ah! We meet again! XD LOl- I'm sorry if it seems like I'm always popping up, I promise that is not the case!

That said, I must respectfully disagree: I have 8 dolls with plenty of healthy capacity for more, and I regularly forget who I've got. If you add in the floating heads, I need to make pie charts just to figure out which ones are which. That doesn't mean I've got to many though, because my definition of too many is "enough." LOL. Literally, when I've got enough, I'll know. I certainly don't skimp on bills, food or rent to keep on collecting, and smart investing habits means that I've got the money for them without any trouble, so yeah... there's that!

I must also point to Muisje's posts- they make an excellent point, and I completely agree. :)

6. I have stopped since I felt my collection was complete, I think some people has the ability to buy only one or two dolls and other people has to buy 10 or more, my magic number was when I really felt it inside, I don't know why, or how, but I KNEW, this was it, I had all the dolls I wanted and I simply didn't wanted anymore, this doesn't implicates for me to have an obligation to forget the hobby, everything you learn can help other people, you can stay connected to the community, or like a doll without thinking into buoying it even if you have the money, it's quite complex to explain, but to stop buoying dolls doesn't necessarily means you have the obligation to back away from the hobby itself...:sweat

7. Honestly, the only thing that would make me think I have a problem is when I buy a doll, over paying my rent.

8. I have too many dolls!! I came to a theme for them too late and now have several groups rather than one. I have room for more but would rather slim down my collection and be a bit more considered about any more arrivals.

I try to have character(ish) in mind before buying now and not just go "ooOo dollies" which has tended to be the case in the past...

9. I'd say someone has too many dolls when he/she's not able anymore to make a difference between the necessary goods to buy (food, rent, blah) and the luxury unnecessary items (dolls, tv...).
      But as Muisje said, it's a spending problem, not a dolly problem.
      There are plenty of people who don't collect dolls who have those. Some people live in bars (spending a LOT per weekend), others buy a new computer once they're bored of theirs etxetx.

But, let's put that under "not enough money to spend on dolls and still buying"

So, aside from the finiancial matter of the hobby, people have too many dolls when they aren't able to remember their names or lost count of them.
      Or when they have to put dolls aside to be able to cook or take a bath ;)