1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

When do you have "too many" dolls?

Dec 26, 2009

1. You talk about being a "crazy doll person" as if it's a bad thing. Lol. If I collected Fabergé eggs, would I be a "crazy egg person" or Rolex watches, a "crazy watch person"? I often wonder why it is that having a bunch of dolls or cats qualifies one as being crazy, while other objects (and animals) are just seen as collectibles (or pets). As for me, I'll know when I have enough because I won't want to buy any more. I've reached the saturation point with various other collectibles, so I don't worry about buying too many.

2. I think it depends on the situatuation. I currently have to many dolls because I don't have enough space to put them all, 10 dolls total. Now that's not to say that I switch them out for other dolls in the future. But for the time being, I don't want anymore. Thought all 10 of my dolls were bought in the span of five years.

As long as you're not in debt from buying dolls or you're buying dolls instead of paying your rent I don't think you can have to many.

3. I'm on 6 full dolls with 1 head and I am waiting for one more doll which should be home soon.
      Out of 7 of them, my mother bought the first 2 for me, I bought the next 3 (+1 that will be here soon) and got 1 of of them and the head as gift the the event.
      Don't think that I bought too many and have plan to buy more (... just can't get enough of their beauty). But honestly, just as long as it does not affect your social life and you do not ignore the majority of the society to live with your dolls then you're just fine.
      It's like... a hobby (a weird one) and you're the collector.

4. I want 13 of them. (13 being an unlucky number and my dolls being all demons and such). I believe that you've hit too many if you only spending with your dolls...and if you can't remember which doll is which.

5. I recently witnessed someone using their school tuition grant money to purchase a doll because they 'had to have it'. The person already has about six or seven dolls, all but two of whom sit on a shelf and never get played with/dressed up/changed around. She won't get rid of them because she "loves them". Each of these dolls was at one point the light of her life, her ultimate dream doll, etc ad infinitum, and each one faded when she found the new love of her life, perfect ultimate special dream doll. At that point, I consider it an unhealthy obsession. If you can afford them without impacting other important areas of your life, such as rent/tuition/bills/etc, and you want them, go for it. It's 'too many' when it starts to negatively affect your life.
      -Pere

6. Thank you to everyone who replied, you were all very helpful and I agree with everyone. I decided to get the EID Chase--but not until I pay off all of my current credit card debt (which I built up way before I even knew what dollfies were). I think that's a healthy goal to set, though it means I'll end up having to make around $3,000 instead of $900 to get him. I honestly don't want most dolls, I only seriously consider buying Iplehouse dolls. I'm not afraid that "3" dolls will end up being "300" I also heard that the model body is lighter than the EID 'super hero', so that's a pro. And no, I wasn't looking to get a limited edition, so I can take my time to pay off my debt first.

7. It might be too many dolls, if I open my bedroom door, and an avalanche of dolls pours out like water, and nearly suffocates me. Other than that, NO SUCH THING.

8. Currently, I have 4 dolls and i've been told by my mother that that is too many lol (I've got plans for at least 3-4 more) But since I still live at home for the moment I have reached my "limit" XD

9. I think you have 'too many' dolls when you look at your collection and can't pick out any individual doll that makes you especially happy. That happened to me with collecting MLPs (I ended up downsizing my collection by about 3/4), and I was on the cusp of it with Pullips when I stopped collecting them.

I think the easiest way to see whether you have 'too many' of something is to select one at random, and put it away in a box for two months. If you don't miss it at all during those two months, then I'd say you could safely sell it and downsize your collection a bit.

10. I say that if you have the money and it would make you happy, go for it. There is no "too many dolls", it's where ever you set that limit. You might be content with having just three dolls, someone else might be just fine taking care of 20, while someone else still could have 1 and be content. A hobby is something that makes you happy, people only put others in the "crazy" spectrum of a hobby when it takes over their life. If you have the room and love for this doll, why not? Maybe wait a little bit to make sure this doll is really the one you want (or look at other brands? I love iplehouse too but I made sure to check out other brands and ended up with a Dollzone instead, although Tatiana is still top on my wishlist xD). In the end it comes down to what you're comfortable with spending and dealing with, think it over pretty hard

11. I agree that this is a very personal thing. I have set my limit (for now) at 15 because I just dont think I could house that many. When I think about the number alone it feels really high, but I really want to have a big diversity among my dolls so I try to fit at least one vinyl, one with hooves, claws, paws, different skin tones and mods, etc. so thats really why the list is so big. The down side is that I dont think they would all get alot of play, but I buy them fully knowing that. I dress up the big ones and set them up all pretty, then mercilessly cart around the little ones for fun, at least thats my intentions :)

12. While I plan to start off slow just because I think having only a few dolls will allow me to get more things for each of them, and place more importance on the ones I do have. While I see nothing wrong with having more, for me I think I would just prefer having one or two and just simply paying them a lot of attention.

13. well, considering how expensive the average dollfie is, i'd say most people who have no connection to dollfies would already consider ONE of them "too many".
      it all boils down to whether you 1) want another doll 2) can afford another doll in the way that getting one wouldn't interfere with your other monthly expenses (this is where i'd draw the line with EVERY hobby i have!) 3) have room for another doll.

Paris Hilton has how many pets? 200? idk, but something like that. i'd say that's too many but she can afford to feed them, keep them and have someone look after them so it's obviously not too many for her. *shrugs*

14. I went to a friend's house one time and her place was stuffed from top to bottom with tacky tchotchkes everywhere! Seriously there was no room for visitors, or just LIVING. No empty surfaces anywhere... everyplace you looked was a trite little vignette of Made In China Cuteness. It looked like Sickness to me; I couldn't get out of there fast enough... ^^:;

When I came home I looked at my own stuff with new eyes, and got to work excising my own version of Sickness. Once upon a time I was sure I'd be one of those "crazy doll ladies and proud of it"... but seeing someone else's 'craziness' was a real eye-opener. I decided I didn't want to be like this at all!! XD

I'm probably a jerk for admitting this: I'm supposed to be accepting/non judgmental, and expect others to treat me that way too, right? lol

I'm a lot happier with my place now, though.
      As for the remaining bjd a couple are packed away, and I rotate them as mood dictates. Once upon a time I had as many as 25! I'm much happier with fewer these days; I think I have 5 at present.

Raven

15. ravendolls: You with customizing and faceup painting skills creating wonderfuls dolls; I've always thought of you as a bjd collector extraordinaire. And to read that you are down to a mere 5 dolls--what a surprise.

Late last year I think I hit my limit, or nearly so. Each doll was originally a "gotta have", but I'm re-evaluating my favorite dolls and am considering paring down my crew. It's a hard thing to do but after reading your comment, I can do it too. ;)

16. If you can afford them, it's nobodys business but your own. Typically, a dozen or 2 would seem a nice size group...LOL...maybe not all the big guys though. I don't particularly care for postings showing wall to wall dolls all through the house... But then I wouldn't have room for my pets or all the other stuff I collect.

17. I think it is an entirely personal thing, just like it is for people that are collectors of anything. However, based on the extremely expensive nature of BJD's, and finding my taste in dolls seems to be for the not so cheap ones anymore...I am definitely trying to keep my collection down to 6-8. I have been good about forcing myself to sell one to get another and that has helped to keep the collection small and manageable. As it is, it is really hard keeping my doll budget in check just trying to get the clothes, wigs shoes, etc. that I want for the few I have.

I really can't imagine having a huge collection. I like displaying my dolls so I can enjoy looking at them everyday, and I really don't have the space to devote an entire room to dolls, nor if I did would I want to.

18. Once they're a problem bigger than you want to continue with. Priorities.

19. I think you have too many if you look at one of your dolls and can't remember the name.

20. If your not eating food to save up for a doll, you have a storage full of boxes of dolls, and you cant name or remember half the dolls you have then yeah maybe thats to many.