1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

When do you have "too many" dolls?

Dec 26, 2009

1. I know I have too many dolls...

-when i have no place to put them all.
      -when i have no money for myself (money went to buying when it shoulda went to bills and food)
      -when i can't remember who is who and where they are

2. Hmm, I want a lot of dolls, but the prices are so expensive I have yet to be able to afford even one, I am gonna be getting one soon though. I just need to go ahead and get him pretty much. I need to decide if I'm going to stick with my original idea and get him tan skinned or go with the normal instead...
      I know that after I get him I won't be able to get another for a long while. But I think that unless it's an extreme case, there isn't a thing as having too many dolls. :)

3. I've set my personal limit to 4 -- for now anyway. It's a nice, good, even number and I do feel I need to take the time to get to know them better and see how they "interact" with each other before considering an addition.

You only have too many dolls when you feel overwhelmed by how much your collection has grown and can't keep track of who's who anymore, and also too there's the financial aspect to consider. But this is a personal point. If you feel drawn to a doll but also feel that you shouldn't get anymore, take the time to just mull over things for a week or so. Sometimes, the attraction does dwindle given time and the compulsion to get the doll won't be as strong as it used to be.

4. If you feel like you are overwhelmed, then you may have too many. They should be fun and not a chore. Once it hits chore, then you may have gone too far/

5. I have 45, with one paid for waiting on him to ship, and 2 more on layaway, and one being saved for. I have a few more I know I want. Some have been sold, but most? They stay here.

6. I would consider this to be 'too many', from an outsider perspective, but that's more because of the multiple references to credit cards in the title and signature.

But I'm not really anyone to judge someone else's choices. To each their own.

7. Some were bought using the CCs, but most were bought with cash or on layaway. I know at least two or three were charged. The rest were cash.

8. 1) when you cant remember how many you have, or what sculpts you have.
      2) You are spending money for food, rent, bills...on dolls and doll stuff.
      3) You dont have room for any more.
      4) You are letting your life revolve around them.

There are more but i dont want to list them all... LOL

Honestly you are the only one who can decide if and when you have to many dolls...

9. it's a subjective test - as of course only you know what constitutes 'too many' for your self. I have a limit 10 (which I've reached) plus I decided very early on that if I wanted another newer doll then I would have to resell a doll first. This process helps keep my doll collection focussed. I find that this works for me, however it may not work for other people.

10. I think too many dolls are when you dont have time for them, to me its fine if you choose not to play photograph or write about them, but when you dont have the time to take care of them and use them the way you want to, then its too many, cause theres really no use buying more, you wouldnt have time for them anyway.

11. I'll have too many when I don't have the space for them any longer.

I'm reaching that point now, but that's only because I have too many other things I have to sell still.

12. I won't have too many dolls. I'll have maximum 5 dolls, because I cannot really care about that much dolls.
      On forum are a lot of members, who have got 15 or more dolls. I think these are a REALLY big families.

You've got too many dolls when you can't choose 1/2/3 of them for your new photoshoots. xD

13. when I will have all dolls I am dreaming of ... ^^

14. Well, I would say go for him. Looking around at other people who have, like, ten or so, you're still good with having a few. And having a few is ok, because you can love them and spoil them more. ;)

Even so, I myself have gone through with this feeling. I just looked at my list of dolls that I wanted, or was thinking about, and I had like 20 or more. I decided to get rid of a lot of them, and keep the dolls that I really wanted, and that I had made up characters for and such already.

I don't think it's wrong to buy a few dolls that you really want every once in a while, when they really hit you like you need to have them and they'd be perfect for your family and you'd be so happy! Because why not buy a little buddy that'll make you feel better and good and stuff~? I think that just like price, you can't let the number of how many you have get in the way of buying something you really like.

15. For me, too many (and yes, I've been there before):sweat is when I don't "play" with them all and I feel that someone is being neglected...costuming-wise, story-wise, photo-wise etc. Whenever that overwhelming feeling hits me, I realize there just isn't any reason to keep that many...no matter how gorgeous they are. Somewhere along each individual's path in this hobby, we learn what the ideal number is for us. It has to do with lifestyle, I think, and how we relate to our dolls more than money. (If we spend too much money on our collectables, we mess up our lifestyle obviously...and likewise, if our numbers make us uncomfortable in any way, that messes up our lifestyle too.) It's a very personal decision and its all about finding that perfect balance. For me, keeping my numbers somewhere between 6 and 8 is what makes me most happy and content, so I manage to control my resin desires by sticking to a strict 1-in-1-out policy.:) But don't worry if it takes some time to figure out your own perfect balance...whether that be 2 or 3 play dolls or a hoard of cabinet babies. People changing their mind about their collection is what the DoA marketplace is all about.:lol: And that's a good thing for both sellers and buyers.;)

16. Like others have said, it just depends on if you have the space and money to spare for them and also take into account the other responsibilities in your life style (pets or children that are dependant on yourself, bills, own expenses, etc).

It is difficult to resist temptation of another doll, especially if it's limited or just appeals to you in such a way. I think as long as you aren't making any major sacrifices in order to purchase and keep the doll then it's ok to buy more.

17. Too many? I guess when I can't afford stuff for them all, so that they all look presentable? Or when I have no room/not enough time to care for them all? I'm not worried about it right now. My doll money has sort of dried up, so I'll probably only get one or two a year until I graduate and have fulltime work.

18. WEll."too many" depends on individual character/For exampl for me "too many " is 5:D

19. I think that, as long as you can afford them and don't feel guilty about the dolls you own, then there's no numerical limit.

But when the money you spend for dolls is coming out of funds needed for your family, living expenses, or (in the case of someone I know) your health expenses? Then you seriously need to reconsider your priorities.

As much as I love my dolls, they're a hobby. And the things necessary for my life by far take priority.

EDIT: That said, if I had found out about the Soom Afi before the ordering period was up? I totally would have done a bit of fund juggling. *sheepish grin*

20. THANK GOD there is someone out there as "crazy" as I am. After reading about people with 8 or 10 dolls who thought it was too many I was getting a little worred. I have...at least 30. I have stopped counting because I get too wigged out at how many I have. I feel like I should sell some of them...but when I pick one out to sell, his/her personality comes out and then I can't do it.
      I have a few dolls I've never done anything with....but then just as I have given up on that doll, I put on a new wig, or new eyes, and suddenly there is a new little person there asking to stay with the family.
      I also tell myself "no new dolls", but then one I've always liked gets discontinued (like my Lumedoll Saiph), or goes way on sale (Customhouse Cebee, Elfdoll Mir) and I can't resist.
      Yes....I have a problem. But I only spend money I have, and have slowed wayyy down in the past year due to the economy. And I do use my dolls as models in my artwork, sewing, and photography, so I consider them "working" dolls. If they were just sitting in a cabinet gathering dust it would be different. They live in their own house, and I tend to grab a few and bring then into my house on a rotating basis. I also take them on trips and they each get a turn.
      Sometimes I wish I had stuck to only 5 dolls, but in reality- I know I never could do that.