1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

When do you have "too many" dolls?

Dec 26, 2009

1. The most I had at one time was five, now I'm down to one MSD-sized with a tiny on the way (after not buying a doll in about a year). I can definately say 5 was too much. But I think it was more because I bought them within a short time of each other (almost impulsively, really), and after a while I was thinking more about how much I had spent on them, rather than the enjoyment I got out of them. Money troubles will do that though :sweat

I do agree that when you run into financial difficulty, or have a big expense like a credit card and are still buying more dolls, you should really rethink your priorities. When I needed money for bills, I didn't hesitate to sell off the dolls because in the end they are just expensive toys. You can always buy a doll later, even a limited (it might be more pricey, but if you want it that badly I think you'd still be willing to get it). However, when debt starts to add up it can get out of control very easily and quickly and the after-effects can last for years.

2. When you stop enjoying them, then I think a person has too many.

3. Uh..well..it IS subjective as everyone else has been saying. but to me..you definitely have too many when..you are:
      a) running out of room for your dolls
      b) have so many that you probably have lost one or can't remember how many you have even after some thinking..
      c) used up all your savings on dolls.
      Just my own opinion! The same might not hold through for everyone!

4. It is very subjective, I have a massive doll collection in general let's round it down to 250 pullips/blythe I have room for them all (well mostly they keep on gaining territory in their one room), I did not use CC to pay for them or spend rent money on them and I love each and everyone of them.

Realistically I know I love dolls, but I do try and limit what comes in this day be it bjd or pullip as eventually I am going to run out of room. I do try and not think about my whole bjd number instead of thinking of it has seven with two more on the way, I tend to separate them by sculpt so it doesn't seem so bad (my collection of three pukipukis for example).

5. It is too much when you can't recall who is who and when you spend money that should've gone to food, clothes, bills, anything necessary on the dolls.

6. Indeed... I did the same thing. XD

I had stopped counting a couple of years ago, and only recently sat down for a serious resin census to make our insurance company happy. While my little tribe of minions is still far short of the largest collection out there (I really wonder what some of the posters in this thread would make of Gery's dolls if her site was still up- :lol:), the final tally still took me by surprise. Somehow my medium-sized group turned into a large one along the way.

Do I have too many? By some standards, it probably seems like I do. Though they were all purchased out-right and our only debt is a mortgage, my collection still represents a sizable investment with no practical return. It's a monumental waste of money. I also don't do many of the "active" things that most DoAers do with their dolls... I don't write dolly-fiction, post photo-shoots, make photo-stories or go to all that many meets. The majority of my crew are nothing but display objects when you get right down to it, and for some reason people here seem to have a real aversion to the idea of BJDs being treated as passive decorations.

My own definition of "too many" is different, though. I don't consider passive enjoyment a sin. Dolls aren't living things that will suffer if I leave them sitting in the same pose for a month, or if I don't change their outfits every other day. To me, having "too many" is much more a maintainence issue...

If you find yourself with a collection that you no longer have the time, resources or display space to maintain properly, then you have "too many". It's as simple as that. For some owners, two may pass that mark. For others, a horde of two hundred might still be fine. It just depends on what our expectations are and what we have to work with.

7. In my current place, two would be enough, possibly one.

Once I have a studio flat or full apartment, I think 6 would be a nice number.

So I had better get me a bigger place soon.

Phil.

8. :3 you have too many dolls when you don't have the time to spend with the ones you have.

9. I agree that you have too many when you don't have time to spend with the ones you own. Or if you are spending more than you can afford.

10. When do you have too many dolls? When dolls are all you're spending your money on, I'd say (as in, if you say "You know, I'm hungry and I need new clothes and the rent's overdue... But this girl is so cute!"), but I really can't tell someone just to not buy any more dolls... lol

11. When you've run out of space, you can't remember all the dolls you have, and you find yourself constantly charging them to your credit cards, whose balances keep growing bigger every month instead of shrinking . . . . . .that's when you have too many dolls.

12. :lol: Some people have this thing called a "day job", and what a job does, see, is it keeps people away from home all day, multiple times a week, sometimes even every day! Yes! If not being able to spend time with dolls were some kind of required threshold for the size of your collection, then ONE would be too many.

I have just ordered my 30th, and I still love them 1 doll at a time.

13. too many dols? subjective, right, as many of you wrote here. i decided i don't want to have more than 20 dolls /right now i have 12 dolls and 2 floating heads/ why? i simply couldn't find time for all. i think maybe in next 2 years i'll buy one more, and that will be the end. i got also other hobbies so it means i don't have as much time as i want. think as long as i enjoy playing with my dolls it won't be too much, as long as i have time for them, sew new clothes for them etc that's not enough, and maybe because i dicovered right now i spent much more reading books and play computer games i think it was the right time to realise that maybe it's enough. but to tell the truth 12 dolls do not take a lot of space, it's just 2 shelves :) the problem is when it comes to boxes and the whole other stuff/clothes, wigs etc/

14. amen! I have a full-time job and a husband, i cook and work out etc. AND i have over 30 dolls too, i can't spend time with each and every one of them every day, that would actually DECREASE my quality of life ... and my dolls are there for my enjoyment, not the other way around :sweat

15. Yeah! The dolls don't have jobs, so they're definitely here at my pleasure, & not the other way 'round. If you don't pay your own wig-bills, wash the dishes, or do my taxes, then you wait 'till I'm good and ready to change your eyeballs or take pictures of you. ^^

16. You never can have " tooo many" !!! xD
      alright, so to be serious, for me, it´s a feeling. Somehow you come to the point when you say : ok i only want two msd or only one doll from luts, more than one zuzu, another unoa etc.. As long as they make you happy and you can afford them without a problem it´s ok, i guess ^^"

17. You have too many dolls when they start completely taking over your life or you can't afford to feed your cat anymore >.<

18. I'd like to take this one step farther and say: When it starts to make you unhappy. It could be due to all sorts of reasons like guild over buying your Xth doll while you could have donated the money to charity, not knowing where to put the next doll due to space issues, being stressed out how to figure out what you want with all your dolls and where to find them perfect wigs, eyes, outfits, etc.
      If your dolls are starting to make you feel unhappy, because you feel overwhelmed, then you may have too many.

19. I think when you buy the doll, take a few photos and then leave them sitting there / in the box without bonding or anything, then it's a bit of a hint you have too many :P

I LOVE all my dolls. The ones I have niggling feelings about I sell. In my mind, I want to be 100% bonded with each of them. :) I feel bad them just sitting there not getting the love they deserve.

20. ...I have few dolls and simply know I cannot have many ones.
      Considering the wishlist, I won't go upon a dozen (the perfect number, for now, it'll be 9.. and now I have 5 at home plus one head). At least now (I'm still in my parents' house, and don't have a job, and this influences SO MUCH my hobby). ;)

This is not about having THAT number of dolls.
      It's just those ones (the bjd I own plus the wishing list) cover my willings about size, molds, couples to form.
      For example, I know I can't afford more than one SD (not only talking about the dolls cost, but wardrobe's too), for now. So I'll keep one and give up buying others, even if I'd like to. :)