1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

When do you prefer to think of a character?

Nov 22, 2007

?
  1. Before actually getting the Doll.

2. After getting the Doll.

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
    1. ...Before or after recieving your Doll?

I've created quite a few characters for the Dolls I plan to buy, and yet I don't even have one yet. XD Is that weird?

But, I can see why somebody would wait to create a character after they get their Doll. because then the way the Doll looks in person can really determine what their personality/character is like.

So, when do you think of their character?

2. I actually need an option for both. Sometimes when I see the doll I just have the character in my mind and get that doll. Other times I simply buy I doll I like and wait for him/her to introduce themselves to me and let me find the character.

3. Hum....I have only one doll and he's telling me about himself little by little~ X3

4. For me, it is definitely after. So far with my dolls I have fallen in love with the pictures based on nothing but their beauty. It is only after I get my mits on them :lol: and spend time with the actual doll that I start to discover their character.

Good question.
      :)
      Gary

5. Before :) It's giving me something to do while I save, and I just *love* making a character and THEN trying to find a mould for them that I like.

Of course, like all good characters, they change over time or because of their form, so theres no garuntee that a character I make for a doll will be the one that it ends up being.

6. It depends.
      With some, the character comes first and I seek out the doll to fit.
      Others, I see a doll I must have, and the character comes after the doll arrives and tells me who he wants to be.

7. I need an option for both. One of my dolls, Edward, is based on a charater from a book, and he is the only sculpt I considered for him. And he was Edward right out of the box.
      My other dolls charaters have formed after they arrived. Even when I've planned out a story line for them they've refused to conform:doh I never thought hunks of resin could be so stubbon.;)

8. I have a bunch of pre-existed characters already
      and since my first chara end up being a CP..somehow I want the rest of the crew to be CP too O_o just because CP has this distinctive features about their dolls that you can just tell its a CP ^^ In that way..my characters will look like they're actually related and all

I kinda like other molds from different companies too..but I let go the plan of getting them coz I don't have a character for them XD

9. I make a character and then shop for a sculpt that fits it. It's from being a tabletop roleplayer--just like I wouldn't walk into a game with a blank character sheet and then pick my character's stats and abilities based on whatever pages of the core book had the prettiest pictures, I'd never purchase a doll without a character, background, personality, and story for it in advance just because I thought it was pretty.

10. Doing it before is fun, but usually their character changes immensly when I get them. So most of the time I have a loose concept of what they are like but then after they arrive I fill in the specifics.

11. For me it is a combination. I almost always have a character in mind when looking for a new doll but when the doll shows up I end up learning more about that character and they change. For example Jadeziah was supposed to be a redhead but when her "shell" arrived it became apparent to me that she is a brunette.

12. For me it's definately always before. Both my current boys and my planned future boys are the resin forms for RP characters I have long since created and continue to work on to this day. So while I am in a sense 'fine-tuning' them constantly all the time, I do have a very solid base as to who they are before they even get here. I know what they look like in mind, so I just search around until I find the perfect sculpt that suits them. :)

13. I haven't been able to buy any yet, but I already have two planned... Although, I create characters a lot; this one in particular is just pulling my hair out to be a doll, so... *helpless*

14. Haha the weird thing is, Kotori and Knox (future SD I'm getting) Already had planned personalities, but the other 2 im getting are just 'wait and see'

15. Ever since I ordered my doll, I just had an idea of what he'd
      be like. So I have this slight image in my head, and when he arrives,
      I can still bend things around, and create someone unique.​

16. I'm new to the BJD scene and don't have a doll yet. But, as SOON as I found out about them, I thought 'Hm... I would LOVE to see Kinami as a doll!'

Kinami is my (most loved) OC for novels/RPs, and I naturally cling to her adorable-ness. She's innocent, shy, and stammers when she gets nervous. <3333 I love her soooooo much.

I've been looking for a doll to fit her, and I think I've found a good match for her while not spending a RIDICULOUS amount of money. (It's a Bobobie doll ^^)

17. It varies for me. ^^'''''' Doll to doll.

Bat told me about himself after I had ordered him - he was my first. <3 It was interesting, because I hardly expected something so intricate to form.

My second was Trinkette, and she...well, I know I wanted a broken tiny to be a little Marionette. I formed most her character AFTER I got her, though. XD'

Sylar - well, he's based on Sylar from Heroes. XD' So I had the character already and searched for the mold.

TickTick - now SHE was a funny case. XD' I formed her around a BC LSG Pepe. After a little time, though, she switched to the same character with a LSG Kumi. Then she changed to an Elf Cookie. And NOW she's home as a White LadySaiyuki Ted. XDDDDD'''''' Same character, different mold.

The two girls I have coming, Alessa and Lorelei, were created after choosing the mold. ^^

Basically, I CAN buy a doll without knowing their character...but the doll has to speak to me. There are a load of dolls I think are gorgeous, but who I just don't hear from.

18. I have two dolls and I've done it both ways...my first one didn't reveal her personality to me until after she arrived and my second one, well, I felt like I knew him a month before he got here. I guess it all depends, huh?

19. It depends, sometimes whne I see it the first time, sometimes when I see owner pictures, sometimes the character appears randomly or when I create one character that needs another.

20. Well, 3 of my future gang, I have their characters. I write about them all the time, and I want to see them because I love them so much (which is wierd because I usually never get attached to my characters. But these 3 just..I could spend time in my head with them everyday). But there are at least 3 dolls on my list that there's something about the face that is pulling at my soul. I don't know them, but I'm drawn to them. So I figure, they'll tell me about themselves when I get them- because if they're calling me so loudly and incessitantly, they must have something to say.