1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

When people tell you your dolls are a waste of money...

Jan 18, 2016

1. Ask a moderator to be completely sure but I think there were quite a few pages of answers before January 18th 2016. The title thread is clear enough though and I think your answer sums it up perfectly!!

2. It IS missing. I got a notification that a mod moved it to some other post because the topic was similar, and I thought they had just integrated my whole thread but apparently not. It was kind of just me venting a bit about my situation, but the replies here have helped me figure out my woes :3nodding:

That's basically my situation as well! I didn't realized my initial post had been taken away somewhere or I would have replied sooner! I have my first dolls, but I'm probably going to have to just either suck it up and wait just a few more years until I have a steady job or I'll have to try and sell stuff on the side to make money that I can allow myself to use on dolls.

#22 Lupe540, Feb 4, 2016
      Last edited by a moderator: Feb 10, 2016
    3. Ah, I see - I knew I must have missed some context here. I'm glad it ended up being useful for you in any case! :)

4. I understand why they say that. It would make me feel bad if someone said that but i wouldnt really let it affect me. In the end you know whats good for you to spend your money on. When people tell me its a waste, it gets me thinking about if i should be spending my money on another doll or not. Other than that just shake it off :D if it really makes you happy, its worth spending your money on.

5. As long as it doesn't interfere with things like buying food, paying rent, I'd say spending money on dolls isn't that crazy. My nearest and dearest probably don't agree with that, especially my parents, but I've been living away from them for 15 years or so. The 'nice Louis vuitton bag' helps, by the way- I'm not the one with the big car, the giant flatscreen tv and two iPads I don't use ; )

6. Personally this pretty much sums up why i feel like spending so much money on dolls is justifiable. Im not buying any other expensive crap i dont need, so i think buying expensive doll crap is fine. Considering it sparks creativity and makes people happy, i think its even better than buying a giant flatscreen tv and two ipads nobodys gonna use. I guess thats arguable though.

7. People can have That opinion .. Doesn't mean That i have an other opinion

8. Everyone has some sort of hobby that they 'waste money on'. It might be football, it might be concerts, it might be traveling-- these are all hobbies that are 'socially acceptable'.

That's all fine & dandy. I like football. I like music. I like traveling. I also like to spend money on my dolls. To each their own; turn the other cheek & enjoy your hobby. You aren't responsible for their ignorance.

9. As long as you live at home and have the 'rents paying for your schooling, you are basically supposed to follow the "house rules."

But once you're out on your own, its up to you what you do with your money. If you choose to pay your bills and eat nothing but ramen for a month so you can get "that doll," its your choice as an adult. (I've had friends that have done this. smh) As long as you pay your taxes and your bills, what you do with the rest of your money is all on you.

Ryu

10. My best friend thinks my dolls are a waste of money! But it doesn't hurt my feelings. In fact, she loves me so much she BOUGHT me a doll (she's a really great friend). Most of the people I know understand that everyone has that one thing they're willing to spend lots of money for. For my bestie it varies between precious gemstones that she will never wear and this one type of ceramic pot that she can't live without (which makes her need to buy more plants to put in the pots). Dolls can be your one thing. When you're an adult, you get to make those decisions (and possibly live with the consequences).

11. For me, several of my family members seem to think that the hobby is strange. However, my dad has always been pretty understanding because he has quite an expensive hobby as well. There's an entire room in our house dedicated to his baseball cards. Any way, I was always worried my friends would think my hobby was a waste of money or weird, but I'm finding that the more they see how happy my dolls make me, the more accepting they are of the hobby. It's pretty comforting. I think that everyone needs a special thing to treat themselves with and for this community that's buying beautiful dolls and customizing and dressing them up. It's a really rewarding hobby and it is worth every penny. :aheartbea

12. well most people i know have hobbies too which can be considered money wasting so I can fight back ahaha but so far not many say such things to me

13. Everyone has their opinion on pretty much everything. Someone can tell you that BJDs are a waste of money and then go spend lots of money on a hobby you might think is a waste of money. In the end, the only persons opinion about the hobby that should matter is yours and no one elses. It's your life, your money, and you should spend both how you see fit. I think that BJDs aren't for everyone, but for those it is, you should hang onto it for as long as you want.

14. Well for those people who just won't shut up about it, I advise using this link and printing out some of the images here to hand to them.

I found your nose - Google Search

15. I feel very embarressed when someone says that, especially if it's someone whose opinions I care about.

16. It is kind of unpleasent to reveal the costs of my dolls, so I usually don't do that. I know that many people would think I am crazy, using such an ammount of money on a passive doll, just standing there at her display. (Especialy when I'm a grown up man!) And for many people it will come as a shock to know that the total cost for a doll could reach as much as $800 - $1000, all included. and Volks are even more expencive. They will look at the doll, and think that this "thing" could not be worth that much. The materials and work doesn't add up to the huge costs. And I will aree to that, even I can't understand the costs of the dolls, especially the Volks dolls. But I know people buying "brands" of fashion clothes and watches and purses, that costs hundreds and thousands of Dollars, and that doesn't add up to the material and production costs either. So if someone ask me, I just argue that way, and defend my hobby as a expencive, but joyfull hobby, that makes me happy. My friends use money on lots of stuff that I wouldn't buy, but I understand that we all have our passions, wich we want to grow and develop, and that it is a magic moment everytime we reach our goal, and have the funds to invest, and the joy to see it materialize in front of our eyes. and that is whatever we collect, whatever hobby we have, and that we indeed have to save and work to reach the goal. It's like Christmas when I was a child, 40 years ago - Christmas was so magic in those times, it was one of two days a year, where deams could become truth and visible.

Keep up your passion folks :)

17. I try to tell them it's my money. My sister dose want me to buy but tow more. I only have 7 full dolls and one doll head. The other 5 are not bjds. Or don't count as bjds on this site. the other 5 are not the r word. But anyways I will stop when I want to.

#37 emilie_moon, Mar 25, 2016
      Last edited: Mar 25, 2016
    18. Most people who know me don't even bother criticizing me unless they REALLY want to hear me rant (ie my children have no problems with this). I've been asked about it (politely) and respond about how I use the dolls in photostories/books & for costuming. I've friends into cosplay, model trains, gaming (table model kind...where you paint your figures etc), SCA, DRUM collecting (surprisingly expensive) - etc. So they've not got much room to criticize me LOL

19. My dolls make me happy, I probably spend way to much, but them being about my only costly habit is one I enjoy living with. I really don't care what others think of my dolls, many people have said rude and crazy things about my collecting - but the way I look at it, if I have the support of my family - that is all I need.

20. I don't care when people say something about bjds being way too expensive as dolls. This is a hobby as any other hobby and hobbies do cost big amount of money also let's not forget the fact that hobbies are important for mental health ;). If someone thinks my hobby is waste of money and their's isn't then I would just ignore such people. Why should I care anyway? :lol: Maybe it's difficult to some people to understand how much dolls can mean to someone, besides they most likely don't know anything about this hobby haha :abow: My boyfriend's friends are terrified about my doll costing 800 haha at least they don't dare to lay hands on her :XD: