1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

When you have officially 'joined the hobby'?

Aug 28, 2017

1. So I can't really figure out when to class myself as having 'officially joined the hobby'. Is it when I first started looking into bjds? When I joined DOA? The day I eventually order my first doll or when she arrives? What does everyone think?

2. I considered myself "in the hobby" when I made the decision to actually buy a doll and started shopping. But I don't think there's any one answer. If you think you're part of the hobby, then you are. Some people enjoy the hobby just by admiring other peoples' pretty dolls, and some people enjoy it through collecting dolls of their own. It just depends.

3. Even not having a doll, I felt like being part of the hobby, because the research, watching videos, blogs... counts as "having fun with dolls" for me ^_^ But after some time, I count it since I got my first doll, because it's easier to remember than the day I became interested.

4. I bought my first bjd from Luts when I was in junior high-ish (can't remember exact year sorry!)
      And I stopped for a while and recently bought another bjd :3

5. True I think it's totally dependent on the person!

Yes I feel the same! I feel part of the hobby right now because of talking to people and asking questions and doing research towards my first doll but same as you I will have the date I order my first doll as an 'official date' just so I can remember it!

6. I consider being "part of the hobby" when I ordered my first doll 3 months ago and started doing more research ^_^ But it depends! If I go waaay back to when I first wanted a BJD, that would be around when I was 13 probably and I wouldn't consider myself to have been part of the hobby back then xD

7. Personally I feel like I joined the hobby when I made the jump to buy my first doll...so the day I purchased her. This is after I had been lurking for years...I just didn't feel a part of anything until then.

8. I joined doa a couple of years ago, fully intending to buy a doll soon. That didn't happen. While I lurk, looked, planned in my head... things never went very far so I don't think I did anything "hobbyish" till now.

So, I think having a doll for me make me feel like I am in the hobby, as I feel less "responsible" to do anything without one.

9. Interesting post. Just offering a technical opinion: For people who are collectors of bjd within a year, I think the date of their first bjd purchase would be the time when they 'officially joined' (I think it was November last year for me). For people who are simply admirers (for 1+ years) I think the time when they first follow a bjd owner on social media and more afterwards or join a bjd forum would be the time when they 'officially joined'. Of course, some people were admirers before collecting bjds, but for the sake of simplicity, admirers-turned-collectors can just include the time when they became admirers.

10. I'm actually always really glad of technical ways of looking at things, it helps make stuff make sense for me :XD:

11. My thoughts would be when you at least ordered your doll, if not having your 1st doll in your hands. It makes it real to me when you have him/her in your hand just like a new "baby" lol.

12. Honestly, I would say that someone is part of the hobby when they think of themselves as part of the hobby. That's kind of vague, though, so perhaps when you feel like you participate and have knowledge of the hobby and what it entails would be a better way to explain it. :XD:

13. I count the first day I brought my first doll home as the day I'm in the hobby. Didn't do research before then, only after when I got her. I'm less than 6 months into the hobby! ;)

14. I considered myself officially in the hobby the day I bought Amir, which was April 2, 2008. Until then, I considered myself interested in the hobby, but not really a part of it yet.

I was not on DoA or any social media at the time, though I had bought my first 1/6 Obitsu as a sort of "trial doll" from JunkySpot in 2006. At the time, I kind of considered myself in the hobby, but looking back, I really don't because I wasn't that active on the JS forum and a 1/6 hinged/peg Obitsu is really not at all the same as a strung resin BJD. I feel like investing in buying a BJD and actually handling the doll is very very different from admiring from afar. It's kind of like the difference in being in a band or watching a concert. You can definitely be a fan without participating.

However, for someone without a doll who has been researching for years, a member of the forum, goes to meets or cons, that might be completely different to them. They could actually be more active in the hobby than someone who does own a doll.

15. I considered myself to be "in the hobby" when I bought my first doll. I had been looking for years but that was merely just interest.
      When I bought him, I felt more "apart" of the Community because now I knew what all the rave was about.
      I wasn't apart of this forum or anything until after I got both of my dolls. (Kinda behind the game, but oh well. Rather late then never.)
      I think it just depends on how you did things. The sequencing and such. CloakedSchemer mentioned this in a good way!

16. when you have courage to buy one (and the "authentic" one)
      I look for BJDs for a long time but didn't have the courage to buy it (money-wise, and I'm afraid of customs/post office lol)
      But when I buy one, it's a nice feeling and I try to understand dolls more ^^ so yeah that's what hobbies are

17. Hmm, I saw my first BJD in the summer of 2007, and from the moment I saw that first doll, I was utterly determined to own one, though it took me a year to save up the money and decide on the doll, he was delivered almost a year later in May of 2008. I think I would consider myself in the hobby from the day I saw my first BJD, I was so immediately obsessed with them. I did not know how to use a computer then, I learned to use computers purely so I could hunt for BJDs and their accouterments.

18. I'd have to say I was "in the hobby" for several months before I joined DoA or bought my first resin pieces. I was already acquiring wigs and eyes and accessories while I was saving for my first doll, but doing it sort of in a vacuum or with what information I could glean off the fashion doll forums I belonged to.

But really, classifying oneself as being "in the hobby" is a pretty nebulous sort of thing. I think being "in" could be counted as when you decide to make the monetary and mental commitment to get a doll.

19. I liked bjd for a long time before I got my first, but I considered myself more 'following the hobby' than actually 'in the hobby' until I bought my first bjd. Ive been the admin for my local doll group but I've also taken breaks where I did not do anything with my dolls, attend meets or read and post for quite a while so even now I am not really that steadily active 'in the hobby'.

20. For myself... It wasn't until after I'd ordered my first doll. (Who turned out to be a set of twins because the Dreaming head's face-up looked nothing like the Standard's... but at the time, I thought I was only getting one. :lol: )

Prior to that, I'd have called myself "interested in the hobby", but not actually an active participant in it.