1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Where do you post your photos before uploading to DoA?

Jan 21, 2021

1. So I've been out of the hobby for a while due to life circumstances but as I'm crawling back in, I realized that many of the old photo places seem to have either vanished or are really terrible now. I used to use flickr but their photo limit makes it unusable and I'm not paying for pro. I don't want to attempt to re-upload my entire collection to tumblr or something, that would be a nightmare!

I'd prefer a site that is relatively active with BJD photographers but really I'd just like a place to re-upload all my old photos since I had to take them off flickr before they got deleted.

So what do you use?

*I wasn't sure where the best place was to ask this - I'm not new enough to post to newbie land and a search didn't seem to yield anything more than "please upload to somewhere else and don't hotlink"

2. I use Flickr but it's very finicky. You can only copy the bb code to paste here on the desktop version easily, so if I'm on my phone I have to switch to the desktop version to share. Additionally, it seems that pictures over a certain size from Flickr have a higher tendency to become broken links, so I usually only share medium sizes.

3. Can't help you, I'm afraid - I switched to Flickr when Photobucket tried to stiff everyone and have been happily using Flickr ever since.

Teddy

4. I use Imgur. I just posted a recent comment in another thread on how to do this, but if you're familiar with copy/paste of BBC code into the forum from before, it should be relatively straightforward. Let me know if you need any help if you decide to use Imgur!

5. Yeah, I was a heavy flickr user prior to my hiatus... it's just not worth it anymore but I suspect that flickr is going to still be one of the better places if only because it allows you to choose image size when posting (I hate when people's images stretch the page!)

Yeah, I had around 3k photos and I used to be a pro member until they jacked up the cost and changed how pro worked. Not to mention the whole mobile issue. :|

I use imgur for other sites but I'm not a fan of the imgur community so I'd be more comfortable putting my posts on private. But that defeats the purpose of having a spot where people can easily look through them! It's definitely one of my options though.

6. @SmoteyMote Oh, yeah, for sure. I set all my posts to private, but I share the direct links to people when I want to share my documentations directly. Haven't had any issues so far, but understand where you're coming from :)

7. Yes. I don't own a mobile phone so that aspect isn't an issue for me

Plus, I regard photography as a "necessary evil" of sharing my dolls online so don't take huge numbers of pictures. It's not something I actively enjoy doing.

Teddy

8. To post to DoA I upload to a random photo host. For a space to share my photos with the community, I use Instagram. I like the Instagram community but it crops everything to a square and lowers the quality, which is annoying. Personally I can't think of a site that ticks the boxes you're asking for, Flickr would be the closest but it's not really that active with doll folks anymore since all the changes and as you mentioned the cost.

9. Blogger. I have a public blog that consists of a ton of untitled posts filled with random doll pictures. It's easy and it garuntees my photos won't expire. And as there's no text and the blog's untitled, I'm not too worried about someone running across it.

10. Ahaha I have a photography minor so it's something I love. :sweat:

Yeah, I've got an instagram for sharing. Did you know you can make your images not square? Here's a little breakdown! Hope that helps you!

Yeah, see I want others in the doll community to be able to find/browse my photos which is why flickr was so great! I really wish they hadn't changed.

11. oh that is useful, thank you!

12. I have kept using Flickr all these years. I went ahead and got the yearly pro subscription because I enjoy taking photos (plus yearly was cheapest option). Also no other site is as easy to use (for me at least). I take photos on my phone occasionally for Instagram, but as said earlier it's quality is just not the best. I wish I had other options for you. Maybe one of the above suggestions from others will work?

13. OMG redmaiko, hi! Gosh, it's nice seeing a familiar face ahaha. Yeah, I suspect I'll keep using flickr, I just wish there was a better option. Seems like I'm out of luck!

14. I also still use Flickr (since about 2009 I think) as a host - I haven't found anything better, but also I have like, over 2000 photos there, so it's not really easy to consider moving somewhere else. And I feel like in the grand scheme of posting, more people have had issues with other sites and getting photos to work than they have flickr. The mobile thing is a pain - I mean, I can upload to flickr from my phone, why can't I take them off as easily?! - but I feel like the pros still outweigh the cons. I've also been paying for it off and on since I joined, so suddenly having to pay a fee wasn't as horrible for me as it might have been for those just using the free service.

Does instagram even have a hosting option?? I didn't know you could post from there to other sites. I mostly post there these days for viewing and looking at other's photos, but I don't share from insta. If you use the hashtags well, you can reach a pretty large audience on instagram, if that's what you're looking for. Most of the people I followed on both DA and Flickr post to instagram regularly so it's easy to keep in touch with all of them there.

15. I make a private pinterest board for mine. Not sure I would reccomended it for sharing, since it's easy for people to steal images, but it does let me share pictures easily.

16. Ahaha gosh I remember seeing you around a lot too back in the day! This is a delight.

Afaik instagram allows you to post but you can't host or share like you can from other platforms.

Mm yeah I don't see pinterest as being safe to use. I've had lots of issues with it in the past and have had to make a lot of copyright claims so I'm not a huge fan.

17. I post on Instagram some and to share on here I use discord as my host.

18. Mostly Discord.

19. I use Flickr. I don’t share many photos here except in the marketplace and doll profiles, so the limit isn’t really an issue for me. I use Instagram instead for posting photos.