1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Where do you think you'd be if you weren't in the doll hobby?

Nov 3, 2019

1. A curious question I have that I don't think there is a thread about. If there is, please feel free to remove this one^^

Personally, if I wasn't in the doll hobby, I believe that all of my money would be going to my anime figure and ita-bagging addictions. Plus I wouldn't have doll clothes and eyes everywhere^^;;

2. I do have other hobbies as well, so I'd likely just focus on those instead! I have a custom Digimon plush collection (MagnaStorm/Plushiluv), and collect other artist plush. I also enjoy art (painting, drawing), Digimon/Pokemon merch/games, and I'd likely have more money to buy gym clothes and go on vacations :sweat What I really love about the BJD hobby is that it encompasses multiple things that I like, such as photography, painting, sculpting, sewing, etc.

3. I probably would not own a sewing machine, I wouldn't know anything about the properties of resin, and I'd know a whole lot less about international shipping and customs. There's a ton of interesting things you learn about in this hobby that don't necessarily have to do directly with dolls!

4. I was collecting model horses for years before I joined the doll hobby, so I guess if I hadn't found and joined this hobby i would still be collecting them :sweat
      My dolls have got me through some rough times I know my horses wouldn't have so I'm happy I did.

#4 TheSecretRoman, Nov 3, 2019
      Last edited: Nov 3, 2019
    5. I probably wouldn't have given up drawing (which I totally regret and wish I'd rather be good at than doll painting). My English however wouldn't be as good, and a lot of the things in my life I (in one way or another) owe the doll hobby.
      Without it I wouldn't have met certain people, wouldn't have made certain decisions.

#5 Ara, Nov 3, 2019
      Last edited: Nov 3, 2019
    6. I keep thinking if I hadn’t been collecting luxury dolls, maybe I would have lots of money saved up.
      But knowing me, I probably would have managed to waste that money on takeout and random impulse purchases like clothes I never wear:sweat

I think the only notable change is that I probably would have kept drawing? I used to really enjoy digital drawing, but after my last laptop died, it took me YEARS to get a new one mostly because every attempt to save-up was foiled by new doll releases (but also a little bit because I was afraid my flash drives were corrupted and I was too afraid to touch anything).

7. I would still build dollhouses and miniature figures and props if I didn't spend all my money on my resin family.

8. I have other hobbies before I got into BJD, still doing them but with less intensity with the dolls. Drawing, writing, collecting Elf Quest and Final Fantasy VII figures. Just that BJD had taken most of my attention.

9. I've been collecting dolls of one kind or another my whole life, so I don't know. Maybe I'd let myself be a serious record collector, I do love the sound of vinyl. But I'd probably spend the extra money traveling and going to more concerts.

10. I have always collected dolls and sewn clothes for them and made houses and furniture, so I have just added another doll that I don't feel like I've somehow ruined them by cutting their hair, giving them tatoos or make-up that used to get me in trouble with my parents. I am 58 years old and it was not acceptable to do those kind of things to your dolls that your parents spent their hard earned cash on. They would both turn over in their graves over the money I spend to do that to dolls now. Makes me happy in a weird way, though I miss them both dearly.

11. I haven’t spent any money on dolls except for my $700 investment back in 2009. But maybe I’d be dreaming of something more worthwhile than having a bunch of husbandos and cute boys around my room. Like having more video games.

12. If I wasn't in the doll hobby, I'd probably have just put my money toward my other collections... Mostly figures (anime and Godzilla/kaiju figures mostly) and rocks/minerals. I really love collecting all sorts of things, so honestly I might have even more collections at this point if it wasn't for dolls. I have long wishlists for basically all the collections I keep, so those might be a little shorter! Maybe... Probably not.

13. If I didn't get into BJD I probably would be into customizing resin horses. For some artist made resin horse figures the cost is similar to bjd. Customizing materials are similar to bjd or more expensive (the figure is covered with a primer so oil paints can be used for certain techniques.) So I'd probably just have a shelf of horses instead of BJD. LOL.

#13 shadow_takatori, Nov 3, 2019
      Last edited: Nov 4, 2019
    14. Video games and either cosplay or historical sewing probably! I'm pretty content just watching all the super talented historical sewing YouTubers, though, I'm not sure I want to hand sew hundreds of inches of seams and hems for just one garment, lol.

Oh also drawing, knitting, crochet, and chainmail.

.... I just really love making stuff.

15. I would still be collecting dolls and teddy bears, but I wouldn't be happy and I wouldn't have all the wonderful friends in my life that I do because of hobby. I never made many friends in other hobbies I have tried, just a couple but none that are with me once I left hobby. But I think If I did leave this hobby several of my friends would still stay in touch with me.

I was in the model horse hobby as well, back in the showing days when Breyer was still in Chicago. Was a nice hobby, and lead to me having real horses in my life. Good times, but expensive.

16. I'm going to guess about 15k richer :lol: If I didn't have a hobby like this I would probably just hoard my money away and focus on inexpensive hobbies like I did for my entire life before getting into dolls. I've never been a collector, and I can't think of anything else I would be quite as interested in collecting.

17. I’d probably have a lot more money. :XD:

Maybe not though, since my video game collection and wishlist hold some somewhat expensive titles. I’d probably have a lot more clothing, jewelry and makeup too, and travel and go out more.

I’d also probably have fewer friends. Some of my closest friends are people I’ve met through the hobby!

18. I would probably be drawing and creating my characters in art forms, also playing with a lot more LEGO, (my other hobby).

19. I collect anime figures, acrylic charms and manga, plus I also cosplay. Compared to figure collecting, I hardly spend money on bjds so if I didn't spend money on dolls, it would probably go to more figures.

I also wouldn't be as confident with sewing if I didn't open dolls. I've been sewing since I was a kid but not full outfits. Once I got my bjds, I started sewing more and more.

20. I would just be spending it on my other collecting hobbies: anime figures or my music collection.