1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Which Came First, Character or Doll?

Jul 14, 2016

1. For my first doll, I did have a vague idea of what she would be like,but overall developed an actual character... just around last year orz (I got said doll four years ago), same was for my other two dolls, they were supposed to be my frist doll's siblings but they had close to no character. But for all my next dolls, I just can't get inspired if i don't have the whole character ready ^^"

2. This is exactly how it works for me too :) Mine have their own "personalities", which develop more over time once they arrive home but there's a basic story on first seeing them.

3. Most of mine were characters then they became dolls because I like developing characters I can find a doll to suit.

4. For the vast majority of mine, character comes first. My larger doll "family" is based on a group of OCs I started developing all the way back in the late 80s (so they've been around a good long time), and the smaller group is based on existing characters from a roleplaying game. The third, smaller group is the one group where the dolls came first, and they're not as developed for me as the rest.

5. Haha it's funny cause I can't even stand a day until I change their clothes again .. Mine is like playing barbies though my dolls usually just share clothes but I agree lately I noticed I felt they now each have their own characters like I thoughg my girls have these specific hair types and hair length where. Even if I change There wig it's usually the same style like curly for this doll and short hair for this doll lol color might vary but I notice I currently stuck to the same length and style and that's kind of their character lol

6. In my case, it's mostly story first. Most of the time, a rough idea of a story even comes before the character development, which usually starts when I already have a doll in mind. I don't feel the need to bring each and every character home in doll form, so I don't mind expanding my stories and playing around with them. If a doll comes into play, the better :kitty2

7. Well I didn't really have a story for Avian till I got them. But now I've really expanded on their story and created characters to shell into doll-form. Carina the character came before her doll and It will probably be like that for the rest of my dolls

8. It's a split right now. Three of my dolls (Andy, Aldric, and Raleigh) whose sculpts I fell in love with before the doll arrived. Raleigh was my first doll so I had no idea what I was doing, I just thought the Mo-2 was a nice doll. My Magical Angel Kelly was the same. As for Andy, I knew I wanted a girl and that was it. Her character came from interacting with the other dolls.

Raico was a character before I bought the doll and I spent a long time trying to find a sculpt that would work. The same happened for my Telesthesisa Zhe Bie. His character was one I had before ordering the doll.

I'm trying to move toward having the character first so I don't buy more dolls than I know what to do with, but that's just something to keep my own pocket book in check.

9. Character for me! I have to know who and what I'm buying so I can chose a sculpt and accessories that will suite my end vision for that character ^^

When mine were finally done, I got that "ah my baby is finally home" feeling. LOL.

Though i totally respect just buying for aethsteric or developing the character as you get to know your doll.

Different strokes for different folks :)

10. The dolls have to come first and tell me who they are.

11. It's been a mix for me.

I've had great success with both, I figured out the character and story base first on some of my dolls and they've worked brilliantly and completely fallen apart. I would say personally I have higher expectations for a doll I've pre-given a character it ends up to forced or a perfect success.
      The dolls I got before I fleshed out their character and added to the story are the ones I tend to favorite though like a wild card or a plot twist.
      I've definitely had to think twice before I buy a doll when buying before I have a character though cause I have had some that I've had to re-home and feel bad about like it was an impulse buy.

12. Definitely the doll first. Their character/personality develops over time.

13. Although I like to make up stories, I couldn't imagine any my characters as dolls. The dolls kind of take on little imaginary personalities as I get them and they might inspire a short story but that's about it.

14. I really enjoyed just creating the character while saving up for mine ^_^

Her character came first I guess because I bounced around doll sculpts while finding the perfect one.

15. It's also a bit mixed for me as well, I have characters in mind, but then I see sculpts that are just too gorgeous and instantly make a new character out of them. And there are some sculpts that I fall in love with, but it takes me a while before actually making and finalizing on a character for that doll.

16. Originally when I first bought the dolls I had the characters thought out first and then planned which dolls would suit the character. Now after having had a long break from the dolls and returning I find that the characters of my dolls are changing. The character is molding about the doll now, so it is the exact opposite.

17. I like it when I buy a doll and I know exactly who they are and what their life story is, but I also enjoy the challenge of looking at a doll and learning over time who they are and how they fit into my dolly universe.
      :whee:

18. Follow first then character. I did try kind of the character first. I saw my first doll I made her name I purchased her. I planned her out and then she got here and ripped that apart and was someone totally different. Same for my second doll and since then I gave up and is doll first. I at best get their name and maybe a style direction but their personality and everything comes after they arrive.

19. Definitely Doll first thought i think that might be the reason why I'm never super attached to a particular doll. Probably should try it the other way around.

20. I'm something of an animist. Letting the doll choose its own character...because it already IS somebody! And, I think letting the doll's story unravel after you feel a connection to a sculpt you like is important, to me anyway! But it's different for everyone, and I don't judge anyone. :)