1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Which Came First, Character or Doll?

Jul 14, 2016

1. For me I've got a cast of characters, a world, and backstories for all of them already. Ive got comics and tons of art of them that I've been working on for about four years. It makes it hard though, because I have the face shapes and proportions already done up so it's a pain to find the right doll.

Also, while there are muscular guys, I can't really find ones that are buff enough for some of my characters? And one of them has a lot of body fat too and plus size guys like don't exist? Or if they do I can't find them.

2. I always fall in love with the sculpt itself and then while I wait to complete its looks (face up, clothing style, etc.), I build on characters. Their characters gradually come into my head as my waiting time proceeds.

3. For me, I always want to have a character planned before I buy a doll. It's still a mix, one doll I bought I came up with a complex background story and character just so I didn't feel so badly for spending the money on him. Though, for the rest of dolls the character came first!

4. For my girl Aida, the character came first since she is a character from one of my comics that is called Der Mausritter.

5. I'm a Doll First person, for sure!

(I have characters, but am too lazy to shell them! It's too much work. Plus there are too many lovely and interesting dolls out there that I fall in love with.)

6. I think the character will usually be first for me. I tend to have a lot of them stored away until I find the right doll to go with it. But when I receive a doll, I'm almost certain the personality will change with them over time.

7. Kind of a combination of the two. I see a doll and I see the character contained in the doll. Some you look at and appreciate them for how pretty they are but they don't really seem to have a story.

8. doll, doll, doll. i'm awful with impulse buying dolls and characters never stick for me anyway.

9. First the character, then the doll. In fact I have tried to do it in reverse and it ended poorly.
      I only buy if I have a character in mind I try to shell in resin and the right sculpt is there. Maybe that rule helps me prevent impulse buying.
      But I have to say thta even if I had his character in mind, a guy doll refused once to be that guy and ended changing completely from what I had thought for it so it's not an exact science.

10. My first two were doll first but no I'm using their story as an excuse for more characters/dolls :XD:

#110 Keikeidol, Mar 15, 2018
      Last edited: Mar 16, 2018
    11. For me its mostly doll first. The only times I've found a doll to shell a character, its been for fan characters, and once I have the doll the character ends up evolving into someone who better suits the doll.

12. I always think out the character first, and then start looking for the doll to impersonate it. However, sometimes after the arrival of the doll my concept can change dramatically and I make a different character of this doll.

13. Simone was doll first. I haven't really been into making roleplay characters or whatever since I was a teenager. I wanted a BJD so I got her and figured out her character a little while she was in transit but mostly after she was home. Zea's character came to me as a little friend for Simone, so she was character first.

14. when I see a doll that I like, I imagine the character in my head:aheartbea

15. For me it’s the doll first since I have to see the doll in person before I can think of a fitting character :)

16. This question is hard to answer but I prefer to chose from the doll . I got my first doll, Joel, when I saw his face without clothes and wig in the shop. After that we came home together.

17. For me it was definitely the character that came first. In fact that is the whole reason why I got into the doll hobby in the first place.You see I wanted a physical representation of my characters I tried sculpting them with Clay but that didn't really work out, so I began looking online for custom action figures. Then some how I discovered what bjd are, and now here i am.
      When first look at a doll I always try to find a sculpt that resembles that character, and when I finally find a sculpt I like there is nothing you can do to change my mind on whether I'm buying that.

18. For my first two BJD'S I knew I wanted them when I first saw their sculpts. Once I saw them and wanted them I already started coming up with ideas and creating a character and story for each of them. After I bought them I started buying accessories and stuff for them and that made it easier for me to go deeper into the character and the story! I plan to do that to my future BJD's as well.

19. I got dolls first, and after that, they expressed who they really are, what they want to wear, and so on.
      My first boy came nude and blank. After being sent back from the faceup artist, his expression lead the way.
      My second doll is the boy I got from BJD convention, and when I had him sit, his face said that he's a shy boy, and that's it.
      I don't plan story or characters for my dolls because when they are with me, they are my very best friends. :3nodding:

20. am i the only one who a bought a doll just cause i loved everything about it and not with the intent of creating it into a character or shelling it as a character? cause i recently bought a charm doll girl and don't have a character in mind and don't plan on making her into a character.