1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Which came first, the Doll or the Art?

Mar 20, 2010

1. I was an artist before getting the dolls, although owning them has helped me branch out in to sewing, which is something I was really interested in, but never felt comfortable spending the amounts of money you need to spend to get enough fabric to make human sized clothes, just to practice with it.
      I can follow a pattern just fine, but my doll has allowed me to really practice and experiment with pattern drafting and making new things.

Also, in general, my dolls are shelled characters from books I write. If they weren't, I don't think I would have had more than a passing interest in the hobby.

2. i've always drew, even before i got into dolls, but i never draw with characters in mind then.

then the dolls came, and suddenly i got into sewing, photography, and well, more drawing, only this time on specific characters. i don't like writing for them, though i like thinking about their story. so doll first, then art. i think.

3. Some of both. I discovered abjds because I was looking at an on-line art site where someone had posted a pic of their doll, and I wouldn't have been on that site if it wasn't for the fact that I was working on a web comic at the time. However, when I got my first dolls there was no real connection to anything I was working on -- it wasn't until my third that I began to buy bodies for characters from a story that I had been working on in college. I hadn't written in a long time, but felt very drawn to the idea of turning the characters into dolls. This now defines how I approach the hobby.

Getting into dolls in the end got me back into writing for fun, and I sometimes find having a doll body helps me develop that character. Likewise, the more I develop a character on paper, the more I want to get a body for it. I've had it happen both ways -- my Uni Limited boy was for a character that I felt very stuck with, but when I got his body I found a lot of that block gone. On the other hand I finally broke down and bought a body for Cait, because I had begun exploring her character more and it seemed fitting. But however it happens, there's no doubt that my dolls really do encourage me to continue with creative activities.

4. It was the art. I was never good at sketching certain parts of the human body and I hated the wooden model in the art store. So I jumped on ebay looking for something more articulate and bam... I found a barbie-sized obitsu with no face. Perfect. I bought it. I had the parts that mattered without the face impressing on my images. Then I looked to see if they came bigger. Woot! They did So before long I had three more in a beautiful 60cm. My art improved. I could not only see the parts needing improvement, now I could incorporate movement. Curiosity had me clicking on a forum and a whole new world opened up. I had a story I had been writing forever and stopped due to someone else's plagerism . I didn't want to give them more. It came alive again with in this forum with a new twist. Suddenly, my dolls could be my characters. I saw faceups for the first time, and went gaga trying to do it myself. Like everything else, it takes practice. I am never pleased but definitely the art came first for me. Since my story never stops...playing with my dolls never stops. Whether I take pictures or not, they are constantly touched, shifted, changed and planned for. Currently I am saviing for once, not for a new doll, but for a new camera.