1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Which do you prefer: Buying heads and bodies separate or complete dolls?

Aug 17, 2010

1. I'd rather buy a complete doll, but if the body shape isn't what I imagined for the character I would buy them seperately.

2. I think for a first-time buyer, as someone who was just recently a first-time buyer myself, I would recommend buying a full doll that comes with both the head and body together.
      I happened to luck out and find the matching body that worked with my head (since Venitu is super complicated and apparently only looks entirely right on his Timeless body), but it took MONTHS of hunting to happen upon one, and it could have taken longer. And I think being new, the wait to have my first BJD put together was pretty torturous. All the research was a little overwhelming too, because I had the fear (while looking at other potential options), that I would get one that didn't fit/didn't match the resin/etc.

That said, if you're going for an easier to match head/body and you happen to not like the particular head/body that comes with it, then I would say by all means, go for a hybrid. :)

3. I prefer a complete doll because there won't be any colour difference or sizing issues.

4. I prefer full dolls. Because, I can save more time, if I buy full dolls.

5. I've always prefered complete dolls, but recently I began to fall in love with particular bodies. For example all Dollshe classic line. They are so good by itself and make such a nice hybrids with different heads. It's so tempting. Preferences always changing in this hobby

6. I like complete dolls better. But I have a lot of floating heads

7. I really dont like when resin doesnt match perfectly so I always gotta buy a full doll.

8. I like buying complete dolls better. Since I'm new to the hobby I don't really know how to mix and match parts.

9. I prefer complete dolls, but sometimes you have no choice. Like if a doll is being discontinued and you only have money for the head. Or if you buy second-hand.

10. I would prefer to buy full dolls, that way I know that the body and head go together perfectly, but I usually can't afford dolls that way, even with layaway as it's not usually long enough. It's easier to buy the head then get a body, via layaway after I've saved up some. Though it does result in a lot of floating heads. Buying separate, for me, has the benefit of not spending so much on a full doll while still getting to see if the head will actually fit in with what I have in mind for my crew. I've had a couple heads where I thought they would be perfect but then I actually get them and they sadly just don't work. If a head doesn't work out, I can sell it and try again without the hassle of trying to sell a whole doll.

I also like some artist sculpts that only make the heads so then I have to buy them separately.

11. I bought one head (Venitu) during his final release even tough I wanted the full doll, because I didn't have a PayPal account in my own name back then (And naww you know, you try to assure your parents you don't spend hundreds on dolls but save everything for mortgage like a good kiddo). The sales came so out of nowhere that I felt guilty using so much money on it all of a sudden, so I assured myself I'd get the body later when I'd get my parents off my back. I regret-regret-regret my decision so, since I recently started to look for a body, and there is slim chance I'll get even the body for the price I would have snatched a full doll for back then. Although as slim are the chances my parents would have agreed for a full doll in the first place, even if its value just grew.
      I never buy floating heads brand new now on if I want a full doll, but might consider if something is discontinued and a head I really want pops up on second hand market and is relatively easy to find a body for. And of course hybrids, but so far I haven't had any of those. Or my Venitu, who borrows a Ringdoll body with a neck extension, but he was never supposed to be.

12. I'd prefer a full doll since it's easier but I am quite picky when it comes to the body and joints. If i don't like the body I'd definitely opt just for the head.

13. I like making hybrid dolls each with their own head and body from different companies. It makes them feel very unique.

14. I would prefer to buy full dolls that way I wont have to worry about matching resin or proportions but sometimes the head is nice but I don't like the body or vice versa so I do see the want to buy sepreatly

15. I prefer buying complete dolls because it will be easy to match the color of the head and the body. However, sometimes there are only heads available, so I have to find a body to match the head, which makes me confused.

16. With the nature of my finances and the characters of my dolls I have to buy heads and bodies separately. But I would very much like it if their were some option or if I just had the funds to buy both at the same time from the same company. It's quite annoying to have floating heads reminding me how unfinished my little band is. But I'm slowly working on that.

17. It depends... But I mostly like to adquire parts separeletly because it is economically better for me.
      Another reason, I am really patient too so I don't care about waiting a lot.

18. For my avatar I bought the head first. Then waiting for the body was a pain. My DC girl is a full doll. Third is from two different companies, but this time I choose the same dealer to buy from, so He will come home as a full doll. I just don't like floating heads around.

#578 Triexiz, May 16, 2020
      Last edited: May 16, 2020
    19. Out of my dolls, only one is a hybrid. He was going to be heavily modded and I wasn't really sure what I was doing so I bought just the head to work with first. On top of that, I didn't have the money at the time to buy a full doll. Everyone else was body and head together as they came from the company. Personally, I like having them ready to go as soon as I open the box.

20. I like buying whole dolls, especially with default faceups I like, since I don't really like the idea of sending a facesculpt in the mail (a lot of packages go missing). However, if I find a sculpt for a doll I can't find anywhere else, then that's a different story :)