1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Which do you prefer: Buying heads and bodies separate or complete dolls?

Aug 17, 2010

1. I like the full dolls (minus the clothes, shoes) and not a big fan of hybrids but I have seen many amazing ones but I'd like my doll to come in full ^^.

2. I`m new in this hobby, so for now its complete dolls.

3. It depends which is the better deal. Sometimes buying separately can be cheaper, especially second hand. Although if i really wanted a doll's head and her body enough, i would just get it all at once haha

4. Full doll. Mostly for resin match purposes. This last doll I bought the head 2nd hand because it wasn't available anymore - sent it off for face-up and then ordered the body. In this case it was almost nicer to buy separate because I didn't have to wait long for the head before I could send it off for face work. Waiting for a full doll then having to send off the head right away kind of sucks. Really wish I had the skill for face-ups that I could stand!

5. Well, I prefer to buy full dolls as I don't like differences in resin, proportion problems, etc...but sometimes its necessary. I'm very picky about the kinds of bodies I like(they have to have a 2-torso at least) and sometimes the body a sculpt comes with just does NOT appeal to me. Then I will buy a body separately. I would rather deal with a little bit of difference in resin than have an SD that can't bend any higher than his/her hips :x (looking at Elfdoll there)

6. I have three dolls, two hybrids and one full doll. None of their heads match their bodies. I like them within a certain range of resin similarity, but my two hybirds and getting new bodies eventually anyway, so I'm not too concerned with the drastic difference. Sometimes hybrids are just easier. One of my boys needs to have a thick build under 60cm, and buying a full doll just because of the body would be ridiculous, especially because it's a rare body type and he needs to have a certain kind of face as well. His head is Migidoll, so he was pretty much forced into being a hybrid by birth. The other hybrid is getting a Domuya flex body because I want him to be super posable. I'm not going to buy a Domuya full doll just because I want the body.

And my full doll, my Soom Lazule, bought firsthand from Soom, has what a lot of doll owners might call a really crap resin match. It doesn't bother me much so I let it go.

7. I prefer full dolls..to save shipping cost..except if someone is selling a head that I've been dreaming of..:D

8. I'm definatly a hybrid addict at this point:lol:
      I just love the extra customization factor that comes in when your choosing not only the head, but also what body that head goes on. I've only done it once because of posing (darn you souldoll general body), most of the time it's because I tend to have very specific ideas of what body types my characters have and it's very rare that a full doll will have exactly what I want.

I hate the extra wait time, but for me it's worth it to order the parts seperatly and get exactly what I want :)

9. I tend to prefer buying full doll but I am not against buying just the head only first if I had to. In fact, I do have a floating head at the moment. xD

10. If I'm alright with poseability of doll's body, I would buy full. Main reason is skintone differense, that irritates me too much ^^'

11. I would definately prefer buying a complete doll. I am really, really REALLY unskilled considering workiung with my hands and itsy-bitsy things, so I will be more than happy when as many parts as possible are already properly attached.

12. I would only buy a head and body separately if I couldn't afford to get the body that goes with the head at the same time. For my first doll, I was thinking of just getting the head first and then buy the body when I had more money but...I spent days and days trying to compare resin colors and looking at charts for matches and when I finally felt like I found a match, then I had to worry about the neck hole and width. It was all too much headache and stress so I just waited until I could afford the whole thing.

13. I prefer buying the complete doll, simply because it's cheaper and reduces wait time. Also adding to that is that I don't have to go around searching for resin matches and trying to fit the head on the body. It's just easier all around. If I ever decided to do a hybrid, I would probably have someone else piece it together for me.

14. Definitely complete dolls. I'm still pretty new to the hobby, and it would be really troublesome for me to search around for matching resin, etc. Plus I just don't like seeing floating heads or headless bodies. ^^;;

15. I'd prefer to buy the complete doll. It's just easier for me. I've seen heads available but I wouldn't even know where to begin looking for bodies. I don't even remember when the last time I've seen just a body.

16. For me it depends how much. I only buy cheep dolls most of the time. I like to buy complete dolls most of the time. When it is separate it's hard for me to restring.

17. As for me, I prefer purchase heads and bodies separately, and there are several reasons for me to do that ^__^
      First - often I like the head a lot, but the body isn't so nice or doesn't fit for this head prorortions (I prefer realistic dolls without that "bubble head" thing).
      Second - all my dolls are min. 60cm tall. And I don't want to make a couple of 70cm boy and 58cm girl - it looks a bit scary *__*
      Third - sometimes the character is the 16 year old girl, but the body is for mature woman. What should we do? Right, we should buy another body^^ Cause the original body doesn't fit the character. Sometimes you would like a girl's head on the boys body and not every company can provide such exchange.
      Forth - not all the companies produce the whole dolls. There are many talanted sculptors who sell the head only. Or you need tan doll and you can buy the tan body and then dye the head to fit it...

ALL my dolls are hybrids, exept Veighe (AE Glen girl), but I'm thinking about some body change for her^^
      Well, it's not so easy to gather right skintone and proportions, but it's worth the time and trouble.

18. Complete doll. I don't like to do research for skin matching and the wait time to make a complete doll. Also if the color doesn't match the head or the body then it is just a waste of money.

19. But you can sell the body or the head ;) or amend the mismatch with face-up or body-blushing.
      Still these are additional cares, of course...

20. When I first got into BJDs I thought people who had hybrid dolls were insane (how very judgemental of me!) but as you go along you realise that actually, while company A makes beautiful heads, their body sculpts are not as good as company B. Company C not only makes beautiful body sculpts but they also fit into all the clothing and shoes I already own. Company G makes a beautiful doll I really want, gorgeous head and stunning body BUT I want him to be the boyfriend of a girl I already own who will be 3 cm taller than him without her heels!

That was how it started and now I own about 50% hybrids. Resin mis-matches can be corrected by blushing and neck holes that don't fit snugly can be modded. Now I don't think it's crazy to spend £300+ on a doll when you can't stand the shape of it's hands! :o