1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Which do you prefer: Buying heads and bodies separate or complete dolls?

Aug 17, 2010

1. Definitely prefer full body sets. That way I don't have to deal with "dangit, I have half a doll" syndrome, and I don't have to worry about things like "will I ever find a body?", "will I ever be able to find that head?" or even "there is no resin matches!!!!!"

Plus the saving, then buying, then saving then buying is much too long of a process.

2. Now I'm waiting DIM Larina + event head.
      I'm planning to buy a body Chateau Doll - I really enjoy their sculpt!
      So I think it all depends on need and ideas.

3. Full dolls if I can. If not then I'll just hybridise, or buy the head and body seperate- it's no real issue, just less conveniant. I like the head and the body to feel harmonius in how they look together, and how the body poses- some bodies are more prone to langiudly drape over whatever they are sat on, others slouch forewards and such. Getting that feel right is important to me so this has led to having floating heads/headless bodies whilst working to get things as right as I can. That and lack of funds to buy the finishing compnents ;)

It's worth it for me in the end, just as any time&effort spent on a task rewards satisfaction upon completion.

4. I think I would buy the complete doll. Knowing me, I'm just too damn lazy and kind of hesitant towards buying separate things. It's like, everything has to be in a complete set to me and if it is not, I'm going to get frustrated and want to die. D: So yea...

5. I... I kind of like to get hybrids. At least, it seems that way. XD I mean, the two dolls I want most right now will be hybrids. They can definitely be more expensive and take longer to get, but... I like to customize them to be just right for me. I don't know... I think when I finally get them, I'll either love mixing and matching or vow to never do it again.

6. I don't mind buying heads separately but at the same time it is harder to mess with them if their just a head sitting there! I have two heads on the way and one mnf head left at home. I plan to hybrid all of them!
      I do prefer to buy the complete doll though as I could always hybrid them out if I disliked their bodies, or something of that nature...

7. I have a mix of hybrids and full dolls, although for the most part they came as full dolls and I switched bodies around later. Opening the box on a full doll is a lot more fun, but that doesn't stop me from getting floating heads now and again. Ideally I don't want any floating heads, but it can take time to get the right body and the money to buy it with! :sweat

8. Buying a full doll is always preferable but sometimes it just doesn't work out. Which mostly means, for me, that I don't like the body the head comes on. Or the girl head I want is going to be a boy, which also means a different body is needed. I really don't find it that stressful finding a different body, if it means getting my vision for the doll right. It can even be kind of fun doing the research. I don't like having floating heads (I think they tend to reproduce if they're not hooked to a body for long periods of time ;) ) but if waiting a little longer to save and buy a body is what it takes, then that is what I do.

9. I have to agree with you guys that the first doll you may have is a complete doll from the manufacturer but as soon as you go on with your collection, you begin to like different parts from different makers. Like me I love the face of Soah (Elfdoll) but I love the body of Iplehouse. It really depends on your preference. There should be no right or wrong. Enjoy

10. I try to get my dolls whole. But when the body doesn't match the character given by the face I try to get that right by getting a different body. That has happened once only, though. Otherwise my dolls are all complete dolls.

11. I'm relatively new so all my girls have been whole, at the end of this year however i'll be getting a partially whole Migma, face-up head, body, claw feet and normal hands, but no hair, eyes or out fit.
      I'm finding it really fun to look for eyes, hair, clothing styles and other items that suite the idea I have for her.
      That way she will be partially unique from the start, instead of being evolved over time from an original whole (if that makes sense :sweat).

12. Depends. Obviously, my Minimees are hybrids, since I don't like the DIM bodies (and they're not tall enough for my taste, either). Then there's those I got as full dolls. Then, there's my "doll in progress" where I bought the Fairyland event scar arm and head from one person, the scar chestplate from another and taking part in a split for the body that's run by yet another person. No hybrid but I'm still getting that chap in bits and pieces, so to say. :) As for LLT's Ludwig (I HAVE to get him!!!), it'll depend whether LLT will sell him as a whole doll (which I really hope cos judging from those work-in-progress sculpt pics they keep posting he'll be darn near perfect) or head only.

I don't mind getting hybrids or dolls in parts and pieces. It's just more hassle to do so, especially with hybrids (resin match, anyone? ;)) ...

13. Hmm... good question!x,D I've got now just one doll, a hybrid. I bought firstly her head, after her body, because in the company, the full doll costs a lot... but in this way it wasn't too many. But I would like to buy my second doll fully, so it's interesting...x,D Maybe if a doll is too expensive and/or has got a body which I don't like so much, I buy the doll's head, and after that I search and buy a body for him/her.:D

14. Don't have a doll yet, but I'm definitely in the 'full doll' camp. I think that I won't feel comfortable with buying heads and bodies separately until I've gained a waaay better grasp of all the different sculpts, resins, sizes and mechanisms used to attach body parts than I have now. Maybe never ^^;

15. Probably a full doll, because of all the extra shipping costs from buying everything from different places. Another concern of mine is if the resin skin tone matches the other doll, even if its not a hybrid there are some differences depending on what year the doll was made. Most of my dolls are complete dolls, I try to customize by changing their hair, eyes, wig, clothes, face up, but I prefer the doll head and body to come from the same place.

16. I prefer buying a full doll, not only because of the shipping but also
      because I´d be really scared of damaging the face up while putting the head on/changing the head.
      But if it couldn´t be avoided than I´d buy it separately.

17. I prefer full dolls. I don't have to worry about resin matches or what if the neck is too thick for the head or something like that.. But now I have to do a hybrid, because DollClans doesn't make bodies and I ordered lovely head from them...

18. Although I have been assured it's a rather simple procedure for the most part and in most cases, I don't trust myself to be able to assemble a head onto a body, therefore, full dolls are my preference!

19. I prefer to get the whole doll. My first, however, was buying the head on Ebay and then the body from the doll company. The resin matched, and the company is longstanding and consistant with its resin mixes. So my first doll technically is not a hybrid but just assembled. The nice thing about getting the whole doll is that you do not have to worry about fitting matches or resin matches, its good to go without a lot of work or planning or waiting.

20. I definitely prefer getting the whole doll! I had one situation where I was considering getting a body, then a head for it, but I recently found a head from that website which I really like, so it's solved the problem of head-hunting. I have plans for my next 3 dolls to all be head+body at the time of purchase. :)