1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Whose responsibility is it to keep clothing from staining dolls?

Jan 16, 2011

1. I take all responsibility with my dolls clothes. Wash them the first time and being vigilant of clothes that stain. You spend the large amount of money you should be able to keep your doll protected and stain free.

2. I think it's a good idea to pre-wash fabrics that *can* be pre-washed, not only for staining issues but because significant shrinkage can actually destroy the seams if the buyer then goes and washes it further down the line. {lus, may fabrics in fabric stores are coated with toxic chemcials like formaldehyde to keep pests from chewing the in storage/because it gives them a nice sheen on the show room floor.

But since not all fabrics can be pre-washed, and might bleed even after repeat washings, it's ultimately the buyer's responsibility to be cautious. It's common knowledge that dark clothes and wigs can stain, and the companies probably assume you have that knowledge when selling to you.

3. I believe that the clothes makers should take the responsibility and try to not use as much dye. Although we owners should already know to wash the clothes beforehand. But, I cant imagine all the companies dropping their finished products to wash them. It would take too much time compared to how many quantities of products they need to sell.

4. I believe it is somewhat both. My biggest concern is Dollfie Dreams, who come with fullset outfits that often stain. And can't be easily removed with magic eraser. Some people (not me) just buy those girls to put on their fullset and stand on a shelf as a giant figure. But their outfits would often stain, so if you decided one day to change them, well, it's ugly. Volks is getting better, they line outfits in white, but they still miss things like thread color and ribbons. And if you put a body stocking on it looks obvious.

What I do is wash what can be washed. But not everything can be- even if the material can, washing may release the pleating or something annoying. And I've heard of people pulling fullset outfits out of the packaging and getting dye on their hands just from touching it. :doh So, yeah, needs improvement. But what can be done about it? It is what it is, and you buy or you don't.

As for other companies, or Etsy buys, etc., obviously that's my responsibility since those things aren't necessarily aimed at DDs. I do what I can to protect them, and do lengthy stain removal every so often.

5. I take care of that myself. I worry a lot about staining,so even if a company said the clothing was pre-washed I would wash it again anyway.

6. If you own the doll YOU take care of it.

7. I believe that the responsibility would lie heavily with the owner. I researched and researched before purchasing anything in relation to BJD's and I'd like to believe that most would. I think staining is a relatively well known problem so I would like to think that most owners would know of this before buying or putting clothes on :c Its an expensive doll with expensive clothes! It's like buying a camera without researching what it's capable of!

8. I can't help but be annoyed at the manufacturers of these clothes, wigs, materials that stain a lot... Not all dyes will stain. When I come across clothes that DO stain, I can't help but think of the clothes as "CHEAP" and not good quality.

I realize that I need to deal with the outcome. I'm not about to go sue the company to get my money back. But I'm still not a happy camper. If I buy a wig from a company and it ends up staining, I will hesitate to buy another from that company. Same with clothes.

So I guess I do think that the companies ought to try and make sure their items are good quality.

I put my dolls in dark clothes and wigs all the time. I don't pre-wash clothes/wigs. Sometimes I will get light staining. I don't mind that. Most times I won't get any staining at all--so it IS possible to have clothes/wigs that don't stain. Most companies are good about trying to make sure their clothes don't stain.

9. Both the maker's and the doll buyer's. I don't think clothing should come from the factory on a doll unlined. But then again I don't think people who own dolls should put dark clothing that isn't on dolls anyway. My dolls come and I get ticked if I see they are stained in the box. But I also make an effort once they are here to see that they don't get stained. If the clothing is unlined it gets washed and my dolls wear undergarments, like slips or tights and t-shirts to shield them. I prefer the clothes are just lined to begin with. It saves me work but I can put stuff under first so long as they don't ship the outfit on and stain it before I even see my doll.

10. I think it's both. When I first read the title I thought "Well duh it's the owners." But with factory made clothing and wigs too that it's really annoying to find staining from a wig or a shirt. Like one of my dolls was stained on his chest from a red-Tshirt that didn't stain any of my other dolls it stained HIM to a point where it looked like I body blushed him.

I don't even KNOW how to body blush.

I would love it if more companys were more well...Careful with what dyes they used but it's also us the consumers who gotta be careful too. Resin is pretty tough stuff so we have our tools of the trade. We have our tips, our tricks. Washing it with vinegar then warm water and squeezing it til the water runs clear, magic erasers, body socks...

Note: I don't use any of the above because most of the fabric I get is light on the inside despite it being dark on the outside...Or it's been washed so many times because it used to be something I wore over the years and decided to turn it into doll clothes.

11. I prewash fabric when I make things myself, and handwash most things I buy, but when things stain it's easy to clean them off. *shrug*

12. I have a doll whose lower legs are stained with black from boots that I left on for long time. Very annoying as I can't get the stains off.I'd put stockings on next time.

13. Since I've made all my doll's clothes except for one sweater and the shoes, I take the time to line all the garments in white or a light color unless the garment I'm making is already a light color. Linings of slippery fabric also make it easier to dress a doll in layers.

14. I think the 'responsibility' lies with the doll owner, but that in an ideal world clothes manufacturers would do their best to use non-staining or treated fabrics. I don't think anyone has the right to be angry or belligerent towards a clothes manufacturer over something like staining. I do think that people aiming to profit of the BJD hobby should recognise that collectors care a great deal about their dolls, and that clothing stains can potentially ruin a $1000+ purchase. It's just common courtesy to help buyers avoid that sort of risk, in my opinion.

15. I think the seller is more responsible but owner is also partially responsible since she/he could've easily avoided it. This reminds me I bought a skinny jeans one day. It was a tight fit so I had to squeeze it in. But after I found a blue stain I panicked and rubbed the stain for several minutes. If it happened to me I wouldn't have panicd so much since human skin can wash off those easily. But dolls can't rejuvinate so you always have to becareful and pre-wash them.

16. Generally speaking, BJDs rarely come from the company with clothing or a wig on. Every so often someone will sell a doll and ship it dressed, but that's pretty rare.

17. If I thought an outfit would stain my doll, I'd just wash it first. And removing stains has never been hard for me. I do have a doll that seems smudged often even when nothing touches him. I have no idea why. None of my other dolls do that. lol He must go wandering around when I'm not home....

18. I think they were talking about like Tonner's...

19. As a buyer I have always felt that it is my responsibility to make sure the doll clothes don't stain my dolls. But then again, pre-washing feels natural to me, because I do the same with all clothes I buy for myself as well. Since I'm the one with the most to 'loose', I'd rather be careful.

20. I think it's the buyer's responsibility to take precautions, although I think it's also fair to expect to see a "this item may stain/have colour transference" warning in the fine print of any clothing or wig listing.