1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Whose responsibility is it to keep clothing from staining dolls?

Jan 16, 2011

1. ...I had to twitch when you seemed to assume it was normal for dolls to be in the neighborhood of 1,000. Even some LE's are half to 2/3 that. Some are less than 100. It's regardless, the price. The companies should pre-wash fabric because it's good sewing behavior. YOU should wash your own dern items. If you spend 1,000 dollars on a doll and don't wash new clothes because you ASSUME the company did, then boo hoo, go cry. your own damn fault. Wash them, vinegar rinse them, or do what I did with my all-black wearing Kaja and make them underwear.

2. It's a shared responsibility between maker and owner. Maker should take reasonable precautions when constructing the clothes, and the hobbyist should take reasonable precautions when using them. It's not really possible to never have staining, but it's at least fixable the times that it does happen.

3. I definitely think it is the buyers responsibility! Some resin is absolutely shocking for staining, and so is vinyl, so regardless of whether the buyer pre-washes the fabric or not, sometimes, staining will occur. I think the buyer should take responsibility for their own possessions and look after them with the care that they need. If you knowingly buy an expensive item, and know that some fabrics will stain it, then you should take the correct precautions- such as double checking and washing your clothing even AFTER someone else has done it, and making sure that the item gets a rest from exposure to the dyes...

Not only that, but we can't ALWAYS trust that the dye is out of pre-washed fabric, and sometimes, it takes a lot to get it out! I wouldn't expect my seamstress to wring out fabric ten times just to make sure that it ran clear. It'd be lovely, but I think we should always double check, just in case the seamstress missed something, or it was washed enough for them, but not for our own liking.

I actually met someone who decided to blame a company for her DD's staining. I really find that horrible. It's not like there isn't enough information out there. I donno though, I'm the kind to research something before spending a lot of money on it.

TL;DR: The owner of the doll should be responsible, they're the one who is putting clothing on their doll.

4. It would be my responsibility. It's my doll, I need to take care of it and be aware of the "risks" of owning a doll. Research. I've never jumped into a hobby without researching first. This isn't exactly an easy to replace hobby for me...and very expensive too.

It's very silly (for lack of a better word) to blame a company's clothes staining your doll. Just like it's silly to sue McDonalds for getting fat off their food. Personal Responsibility. It's ok if you didn't know, no one knows the outcome of things all the time. It's just being well prepared for an accident/mishap/what have you.

It's your doll, you own it, you should know how to take care of it. Personal responsibility. Grab a Mr. Clean sponge and get scrubbing. Baking soda bath, or pre-wash with a little vinegar....or better yet, use a detergent suitable for colored clothes. They have trial/travel sized bottles in most places.

If you don't want to be arsed to do that, or research how to take care of your doll and doll clothes, it's your fault then. Nobody elses.

There are a plethora of resources on the web alone on how to wash/pre-wash delicate clothes, how to get around dry clean only clothes, there are picture instructions on company websites showing you how to treat clothes that have a potential to run/fade if not washed right.

Google/Bing/Ask.com/Yahoo....any search engine can find the info you need. Or even better, look on your detergent bottle (or whatever you wash clothes with) and have a look on their website.

I treat dolly clothes like people clothes, just with more care. Since they are like...3x more expensive than what I buy for myself. xD