1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

"Why are BJDs so expensive?"

Dec 7, 2004

1. The raw materials (resin, silicone) do not cost a lot; the labor no doubt does.

Automation isn't used because the material evidently can't be used in metal molds, but not exactly sure about that.

They charge the prices they do simply because they can - the market will bear it; based on Volks standard.

Some products sold are made in China - wigs, shoes, clothing, to cut down on their costs/increase profit. (An item that costs $1-2 (or less) is sold for $10-36 or more, again based on what the market will bear, not following any 'standard' of 4X or 5X markup.)

Also, S. Korea is THE most expensive place to live in the world right now, as reported by the media. (Highest cost of living.)

Most S. Korean companies do not have storefronts. If they're paying rent for their offices, it is no doubt quite expensive.

And, one very interesting fact: BJDs are creating a brand-new phenomenon in S. Korea - people of all ages are becoming interested in and accepting/collecting dolls, for the very first time. This is very different than Japan, for example, whose history is filled with the acceptance of making/keeping figures/dolls for generations (netsuke, as an example).

However, the US is the biggest market for the S. Korean companies at this time.

2. Not all resins are the same..companies would not feel the need to upgrade resin and up the price if they were all the same quality or cost.

3. Actually, it depends on what compay's resin/silicone you're talking about.
      The high quality ones does cost a lot.

4. Listening to everyone here really puts things into perspective. I always used to worry about the amount of money (we're living on a fairly tight budget at the moment) but when you think about what goes into them it's a decent price really. That said I still can't afford all the boys are girl that I want but it makes you think no?

5. Oh yeah, I have to add that the idea of having something so expensive is part of the appeal. If I could afford them easily, I'd probably get very bored, sell them off, and be done with it. Or have two ultra-limited, exclusive boys and keep them on display indifferently. I like the idea of building your way up in the hobby, going through this doll and that company as you go. Otherwise, it'd be kind of...'so what'.

6. Wooooww.. Thank you, all, for explaining this! Now... Maybe when I tell some of this to my mom and boyfriend, they won't think the cost is bad! ^w^;;;

All this makes my babies shooo much more worth it!

7. Think of it like anything hand made. Not every body part poured is usable. I don't know if resin can be remelted and poured again but I know with making ceramic ware, that many are poured and few are chosen for market. All that "waste" is a factor in final cost.

8. The way I see it, BJD are art. They are sculpted by artists, and should be treated accordingly. I mean... artworks can go upwards of $150 for an ametuer piece. If you put that into perspective, say comparing Volks to Picasso... you get quality and price.

and a weirdly shaped cubist doll...

9. Nope. My understanding is that they use a thermoset resin -- one that cures rather than being melted and hardened. If it's scrap, it's a complete loss.

10. SDs are really not expensive. As art, or as dolls.I'd say the pricing is just about what I would expect it to be.
      When people say a doll is too expensive, I just tell them to watch antiques roadshow, and see when someone sells a little 12 inch bisqued dolls and wardrobe for 20,000! Then they go "Oh..."

11. Exactly.

I am not buying the "they have to pay thier workers a fortune!" bit, because I have a funny feeling those workers in Korea are making a pittance compared to what westerners make. In fact it is my supposition that there is an extremely high profit-margin for Korean doll companies. They're charging top dollar and their people work practically for free. Japanese workers are no doubt expensive, but that accounts for ONE company's prices, not the entire industry's. Everyone else is doing it simply because they can: demand is high enough.

Nor do I find it in me to believe that these workers are laboring over these dolls as selfless acts of love - they're there to get paid, just like you and I go to work to get paid. We don't do it because we love it, or we've devoted our lives to it. We're there because we need cash. I can speak from experience that when an artform becomes a paycheck.... the artform becomes not fun, but WORK. Its why I no longer work for commission.

People are willing to pay whatever it takes to get one of these dolls, and so prices are high. As new companies enter the market, competition will exert downward pressure on prices, with the possible exception of LE dolls. This is already beginning to happen. Volks seems immune, but lesser companies.... its coming.

I also refuse to believe that everyone is really so spiritually devoted to The Handmade Cause that they would refuse, say, a mass-produced Lishe who was $200 cheaper *because* she was mass-produced. No fibbing, admit it. If you could get that doll a couple hundred dollars cheaper, you'd do it and smile.

I sure would :D

12. There is more than one Japanese company; Alchemic Lab and Shinydoll are also Japanese companies who make resin ball-jointed dolls. They are also, I believe, run mainly by one person. Gentaro Araki can easily see that he could be making *a lot* more money if he hired other people to actually produce the dolls while he just designed them. And in spite of this he has said before he loves what he does can couldn't imagine someone else making his dolls (paraphrased, but I know he's said something along those lines in an interview). The person who designs Shinydolls is a member on this forum (DOI, SHIN) and I'm sure if you asked them they would tell you they love being a small company and being so closely related to their doll production.

13. I've always been curious about how a BJD is made ....
      It would be really nice if someone could help me with my curiosity?

14. I'm not an expert but I guess the materials are expensive and as these dolls aren't mass produced that probably makes them very expensive. They are very well made though

15. ...have a differing opinion? Not me.....

16. I seriously never knew that. I always thought it was because of how expensive is, apparently it isn't?
      I was wondering how you know all this. Do you make dolls yourself? :D

17. Nope. I never have an alternative view, not me.

18. Like has been said before, there are a lot of different types of resin. Volks has already changed their resin three times, first oldskin, then Pure skin, now Pure skin with UV Protection built right in. Their Pure skin resin is very high quality and no one outside of Volks knows how exactly it's made, so there is no way you could know what it's worth. Souldoll has also changed their resins because the older ones yellowed too fast. I'm sure there are more companies who have dramatically changed resins but I'm not as familiar with other ones so someone else will have to point them out. Please don't assume that just because you can find cheap resin that it's what every doll company uses.

19. Humm, we cant really blame it on hype/demand.. The first Volks SD were $500-$600 and were very unpopular for a looong time until they finally caught on. The price has stayed relatively the same since.
      Even if some of the materials arent "that" expensive, I still think most of the companies profits are fair. I rounded it off (totally quesstamating) and it takes about $200.00 for a company to make one SD size doll, including paying all the workers for the finishing and putting together. So $400.00ish profits for the company is a fair price if you really look at/compare todays pre-retail and retail prices.
      Well, thats what I think, but I could be totally wrong, too.
      *jen

20. i really would like to know how much profit a company makes...and how many dolls they sell O_o look at volks, their dolls sell for price x but on the second hand market price goes x10. the profit doesnt go to the company but to people who sell 'm on the second hand market which isnt fair for the company . why do they release so many limiteds >_<

pricing is fair i suppose but then i wonder where do the recent 'cheaper' companies save money on? people's wages? or resin quality?

i would like to add that think fcs are a bit overexpensive imo. even though you can chose everything to make it look like your dream doll. not to mention how hard it is to buy one >_<