1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Why are dolls so meaningful to you?

Apr 23, 2016

1. They become a physical embodiment of a character I've created. Or they bring me a new character to play with. And I've found it can be relaxing interacting with the doll. But mostly I love them for the story that lives in them.

2. I love writing stories too. When I discovered them I knew they would be so much fun. I have been an artist for a very long time, everything from painting, pastel, even tattooed for a while. I'm currently a photographer so bjds also fit in well there. I love to sew and although it seems to be trial and error, I am getting better at it because I make my own clothes. It's the perfect creative outlet, keeps me busy and its so rewarding when you finish a doll.

3. Personally my dolls are meaningful for me because they're the embodiment of my imagination. Everything I've ever thought of I can bring to life through them. Be it modding, making clothes, photoshoots etc it's like expressing myself for the world to see in a way I'm best suited for. Plus I refer to them as my children so I can't help but get emotionally attached!

4. Characters!!! My characters have such a big part of my heart and really mean so much to me, so having them physically is so nice

5. To me, they’re a form of art and they keep me company! They’re like friends haha

6. What got me into them when I first found out about them really was the artistic and creative aspect. I also really liked that it was so niche and unheard of, made it even more special and interesting to me. Fast forward 10 years, it's part of my life now, I couldn't imagine not having them around.

7. The community, the artistry, and my love for my characters and writing. I've been in communities with other hobbies and often times people were rather negative or hostile, it wasn't uncommon to see two Transformers fans duking it out over which "generation" was better than the other in the forums, and people would frequently put each other down if they didn't understand certain aspects of the hobby. It was rather toxic and seeing how welcoming the BJD community is is honestly such a breath of fresh air. That, and the fact that BJDs allow for so much self expression! I feel like I'd never dress up in half the things my dolls wear since I don't have the courage to, but I would if I did! And I used to joke with my friends that if I could have a figure or plush of my characters, I would. Annnnd now I can do that thanks to this hobby!

It's also an interesting conversation starter and they give me company. I know it's kind of weird, but I uh, talk to my dolls. Used to unknowingly talk to myself while drawing or watching a show, now I talk to the girls sitting next to me :)

8. I've always found comfort in two things - holding something in my hands, and creating characters and worlds. I should have realized sooner how much comfort and creativity I would find in BJDs. Looking at them, holding them, and thinking about their characters gives me great joy.