1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Why do doll owners photograph their dolls?

Sep 24, 2010

1. Why do you photograph your dolls and make photostories? I photograph my dolls because I want others to see them the way I do. I don't do photostories very often; mostly just because my sense of humor suggested something and I want to share it.

Do you just simply enjoy your doll and play with her without photographing her in a story? Oh yes, definitely.

Why do so many people in the BJD community use Doll Photography as a hobby in itself? (not owning BJDs as a hobby, but the hobby of photographing the BJDs) I suppose because some of us are no good at drawing or painting, and so we use photography as a medium to get our artistic ideas across to others. The dolls are representing characters that we have invented.

What do you do with these photos that you take? Do you sell them like a print? Do you have them for personal enjoyment? Why? I usually just store them on my hard drive. I'm not that great a photographer yet that I would be able to sell them. I think I enjoy looking at them because they represent something that is one-of-a-kind. There is also a small matter of pride in my dolls because I was the one to come up with the character and carry it through to it's doll form. (In other words, I would love to be an artist or a writer, but I fail very badly at both. Taking good photographs of my dolls helps make up for that.)

2. Why do you photograph your dolls and make photostories?
      Ironically, I bought my DSLR camera to take pictures of dolls, and yet I hardly use it for that. I like photography on a more mild level, but I've found that I like the thrill of capturing something in a fleeting moment a little more than still objects. However, practicing on still objects helps a lot, and dolls is one of the ways I practice. I don't think that I am terribly good at art, so I have a hard time composing pictures with a set up, background, etc. However, the end results are nice.

I don't make photostories though...

Do you just simply enjoy your doll and play with her without photographing her in a story?

I really do a lot more of this rather than take a lot of pictures.

Why do so many people in the BJD community use Doll Photography as a hobby in itself? (not owning BJDs as a hobby, but the hobby of photographing the BJDs)

For myself, it's a fun way to combine two things that I like a lot. Certainly I like my dolls and photography separately, but mixing the two is really just another way of playing with my dolls I guess.

What do you do with these photos that you take? Do you sell them like a print? Do you have them for personal enjoyment? Why?

I mostly use them for personal enjoyment. I put some on here, but not many. Some of the much better photos go on Facebook since some of my friends like seeing them (both doll hobbyists and not).

I really like looking at doll photographs that others take, so I guess it's nice to give back to the community a little (although I am usually hesitant to post my pictures since I don't think I am very good).

3. Why do you photograph your dolls and make photostories?
      I love story telling in any medium. I'd love to be able to draw manga like comics but that kind of eludes me at this time (One day though I'll do it). I'm a storyteller by nature as a kid and growing up I wrote stories and books about everything under the sun. Dolls are just another outlet for my story telling. I created my little doll world based on nothing and it became something that I found... a lot of people enjoyed reading what I created. I like entertaining people this is why I do it.

Do you just simply enjoy your doll and play with her without photographing her in a story?

Yes all the time. I don't need to take photos of them day in and day out. Just having them in the room is inspiration for my other creative outlets, whether it's writing or drawing. For example one of my newest darlings I had sitting in my lap while watching movies I combed his hair and redressed him. I also make jewelry when I'm inspired.

Why do so many people in the BJD community use Doll Photography as a hobby in itself? (not owning BJDs as a hobby, but the hobby of photographing the BJDs)
      I think because it's fun. There's something about taking pictures of dolls that's almost stress reliving (at least that's how I see it). I never feel pressured to take pictures of them and when they turn out beautifully I'm satisfied and want to take more. I use the dolls as a medium to better my photography skill, I've always loved taking pictures so again this is a great way for me to improve that skill. Over the year of taking pictures I've learned how to take 'on the fly' photo's of my daughter who can't sit still.

What do you do with these photos that you take? Do you sell them like a print? Do you have them for personal enjoyment? Why?
      I post them on DA or LJ or DoA. Most of my work is stored on my computer. The work that's stored isn't really for personal enjoyment nor would I think about selling them (Selling prints seems weird to me.). The reason I store them is so I can look back on work I did a year before (even a month before) and see if I've improved. If I haven't improved I wonder why and sometimes I go look up tutorials to better myself. There's always room for improvement.

-

It really boils down to the fact that I love doing it. I love telling stories and I love sharing my dolls. As far as I know none of my dolls are... emo. >.> Even if they have emotional tendencies. XD

4. Why do you photograph your dolls and make photostories?

It's an urge to capture the beauty of these things, at whichever given moment or look or mood, and convey it to others. The task is to take a photograph that actually looks like what I'm seeing in front of me-- and this elementary challenge is nowhere near as easy as it sounds! It's a constant quest.

Sharing them on forums is fun because it's a chance to apply your doll's character to his pictures, and bring them to life for your audience. I usually include a lot of commentary with my photos (even if it's not a story), which engages people and encourages chatback. I've gotten to know many wonderful people through gallery-sharing, where we go to see each other's threads and get to know each other's dolls, & sometimes each other's lives.

Do you just simply enjoy your doll and play with him without photographing him in a story?

Yes. I enjoy just looking at all 30 of these guys en masse, relaxing in their various positions around the living room. I enjoy just hanging out with them. I enjoy taking them to meetups or conventions or friends' houses. I enjoy changing their clothes or eyes or hair for no reason.

But I can't be photographing them or playing with them for most of the time the time, because I work all week & I work late. On weekends I like to relax by creating different looks for one or two dolls and photographing that, or working on a photostory, or even just snapping random snapshots as an exercise & not sharing them. My skills always need sharpening.... and I enjoy the practice, it's relaxing.

These forums are an online medium, and digital photography is the most convenient way to share things visually.

I don't sell them, but I have had some of them printed in magazines and a calendar, which was fun. Mostly I share them online on forums (here and on Controversialdoll). A large number of them are outtakes or practice shots that never see the internet. Many of them do just stay at home on my computer, for personal enjoyment.

5. Why do you photograph your dolls and make photostories?
      I used to make much more pictures than I do now, simply because I lack time (and when I have time I usually don't have one of my dolls with me). But when I did make photoshoots, I did it to capture the beauty of these dolls.

With the right picture your doll really can come to life and the character that you imagine him to have shows itself. On its own, a doll is just a doll, but in a picture it could be the equivalent of an actor in a movie.

Sure I do. Like I said, I haven't taken a single picture in a few months. That doesn't mean the dolls are just sitting on a shelve collecting dust. I love to look at them and to pose them.

It is for most of us the only way to regularly share our dolls with other people. Meet-ups don't happen every other week and most of the social contact in this hobby happens online.

I wouldn't sell them, because a) am not a good enough photographer and b) these dolls are important to me, but I don't believe anyone else would be interested in them.

The pictures I take are for my personal enjoyment. Sometimes I like to share them on the forum, because I like what I did or because I think the doll looks great in those pictures.
      I also post pictures in the databases or the request threads, because that might help other people out.

6. Personally, I saw that getting a bjd meant I would have something to photograph since I am really into photography and no one would model for me.
      I think they are the perfect models because of the way you can pose them, their realistic looks and the fact they are flawless and look any way you want xD

7. I like photography and dolls don't move around like people do! I just find the whole process fun and relaxing. Also, this hobby is not common place so photos are a great way to share your dolls with other collectors.

I have photos of all my dolls but I enjoy playing with them (sewing and painting) just as much.

Some people enjoy taking photos. Lighting and posing is challenging and fun. Also, taking good photos is a way to show off your dolls in the best possible light to others. A good photo could start a conversation with another owner so if you want more interaction you can attract some with interesting pictures!

I post them on Flikr and DOA. I like to share my love of the hobby with others through photography.

8. I don't know why I take photos of my dolls and other people dolls. I guess it's because I just find them so beautiful. The way they look human and most people at a first glance do think that they are, it makes me feel like I did a good job... no thats not right. I don't know really. I don't write stories about them, and I don't see the need, but that being said I love to read others :)

9. Why do you photograph your dolls and make photostories?
      I don't do photostories but I do take loads of pics of my dollies. I think it's because I have been doing photography for quite some time and also trying to branch out into different still life photography. I used to mainly only do like destroyed urban looking photos (like areas back in my home town and around where buildings were in ruins telling the story of a civilization through pictures) and nature. I really honestly enjoy taking photos of my dolls and that's the main reason that I do it.

I also do make up characters and profiles for my dolls and write stories with those characters in them. I have written stories since I was 7 (maybe even younger) and it is also something that I just plain enjoy doing. I wouldn't do either if I disliked it. Everyone has different likes and dislikes, hobbies and thoughts...some people just have an amazingly fun time writing and doing photography...and I am absolutely one of those people =D

Absolutely. I play with my dolls all the time without writing or taking pictures of them. I love to just cuddle with them while watching TV as well.

The same reasons that anyone takes any pictures and those reasons are many and hugely varied. Why does someone do self portraiture? Or nature photography? Photography of ruins? It depends the person behind the camera. For me I like to try to tell a story in a photo itself (not a photo story...but using a photo to convey emotions). Like I have said before I just generally enjoy photography and I like challenging myself to step outside what I've did for years and have a go at sharing my dollies with the world. Not to mention dolls can be the perfect model at times. I have did different sorts of portraits for people I know (senior portraits, newborn portraits, fashion portfolio portraits) and I can tell you sometimes I wish I could turn them all into dolls for the shoots! Dolls don't give you lip when you pose them in a manner they find odd...they don't hiss at you whenever they dislike the clothing they're put into ;D and etc...

I post some online. The ones I post, I post because I love my dollies and enjoy seeing them and I want other people to see them as well. They are special to me and I like photographing things that are special. I have never sold prints, but if I ever thought one was truly good enough I might consider it. The reason for that would be simply to be able to share it yet again. I would love knowing that someone enjoyed my work so much they would want a print hanging of it somewhere. That would make me feel ecstatic as a photographer. Other pics I do just keep on my computer...why? Just because they're pics of my dollies and I want to keep the memories. I've also thought of scrapbooking them too.

10. Why do you photograph your dolls and make photostories?
      I photograph my dolls to show changes that I've done to them, clothes I've made, or to try to depict how they (and me) are feeling at that particular time. I make photostories to try to get their lives laid out for me, because I'm too lazy to write it, though it's not working out 'cause the dolls I have aren't exactly in the same timeline XD I also shoot them to try to improve my (inexistant) skills and because it's fun ^^

Do you just simply enjoy your doll and play with him without photographing her in a story?
      Yes, I take them out, cuddle them, play with them without taking photos. I play with them more if I'm stuck on what to photograph them doing XD

I wouldn't know. I'd think of it as a sub-hobby, falling under owning bjds, like making clothes for bjd, doing face-ups etc would be sub-hobbies, to me anyways.

I keep them on my computer for personal enjoyment, also so I can see how I've improved and how the doll's and their personalities have changed. I upload a few good ones to deviantart to share with friends and the general public.

11. It's a huge all encompasing hobby. I love to sew clothes and make furniture and things of that nature and I've love photography longer than bjd's so >_>
      Plus my little boy Chase is like the perfect model or anything I want to create or to get a point across <3

12. I photograph my doll for practice

and, well - a doll (normally) won't be as picky about staying in a certain pose for too long, or being tied up into a tree, haha.

Also, I am really shy so photographing real people is hard for me - I feel too bossy saying "Ok now look this way and tilt your head and raised that hand and DONT MOVE" .. dolls don't give lip about their feet hurting or a cramp creeping up their leg.

13. Why do you photograph your dolls and make photostories?
      Simply put: Because I enjoy it! I did find it funny that you asked this though, as I originally got into dolls with the sole intent of photographing them! xD I like having characters for them and being able to express that visually. Also, I can't draw so if I wanted to share my dolls, photography is my only means of doing so.

I enjoy my dolls in different ways. I like to make things for them and think up personalities or backstories for them, but my main love in this hobby is photographing them. I just really like taking pictures in general, so I guess that's why.

I guess lots of people like dolls who also like photography. Or maybe because it's just the easiest form of sharing how your doll looks or showing off something you made for them. There are many different reasons for many different people. Personally, as I mentioned above, I enjoy doll photography simply because I like photography in general. I also can't imagine many other things I would do with my dolls if I weren't taking photos of them. I mean, maybe if I could draw I could draw them in various different poses or something, but I really don't feel I could justify owning numerous dolls if I weren't actually photographing them... Also, although I'm definitely still learning, I've noticed myself getting better at photography just by taking doll photos. Plus, a chunk of resin doesn't complain no matter what conditions you put them in! xP Oh, and I can pose them how I want to without feeling shy about telling someone how to pose and having to demonstrate what I want them to look like... Way better than dealing with real people. (;

Some of them I keep for myself, which is what I do with quite a few pictures I take, others I share on DoA or dA.

14. Some things can be done just simply for enjoyment. It is enjoyable photographing a doll I have put together and made clothes for. Story or no story, its just fun.

15. As an adult, what ELSE do you do with a doll?
      Children play with dolls.
      Adults can create, paint, and/or sew for dolls--for art or money.
      Or they can display them as art or decor.
      Or they can photograph them as art or decor.
      Even when, as a child, I played with my Barbie (that was the original, classy, Barbie), I would always want to preserve that moment of perfection when she was all dressed and accessorized in a new outfit, and I would run to get my Dad to take a picture.
      If I couldn't take pictures of my dolls I would probably sell them or pack them up for future granddaughters.

16. Why do you photograph your dolls and make photostories?
      I hardly make photostories, or if do, they´re very simple. They have no backstory, they just live in present time like children do. But I love the photographing part of the hobby. There are so many different dolls available, and there´s no way (even no point) trying to get them all to yourself. I see photographing wonderful way to share the joy and beauty of the doll with others. Also there is a way to help others deciding which doll to get, by posting pics of posing abilities, comparison pics and just how do different dolls look like. I enjoy a lot of the photos and stories and in general photos people have taken, and want to help others in the same way.

Hardly. I don´t "play" with my dolls much, I mostly take them for modelling clothes I´ve made, or for taking cute photos of them. If they´re out from box otherwise, they are more like decoration in the room, or keeping company to me. Seeing them makes me smile.

I think very many do have the story behind the dolls and they want to share it. I really enjoy to watch the well done, detailed photostories with a plot, as well as the pic series of the beautiful dolls. I don´t see all the doll photos as "art", still though there are very many beautiful and artistic photos which look like they could be able to hang on gallery walls any time. There´s lots of pics like mine, taken because thinking the doll is lovely. Sort of like dog owners have piles of pics of their dogs, or new parents take lots of pics of their sleeping baby. My dad said to me, when I was young and took tons of pics of dogs and cats and horses, that wouldn´t it be just fine take one pic of each as it´s the same animal in each photo, just a bit different angle. But the pics were all important to me, because the subject in photo was important and dear to me. I think it´s same with many of the doll photos.

I like to take photos, not only for dolls, but also people, sceneries, nature, animals etc. It would be nice to sell the best ones some day, but wonder if they would be enough qualified. Mostly I just enjoy taking photos, and choosing the best of them and also watch them. My computer gets more and more full with photos (not only doll pics) and I also copy all kinds of cute and nice pics from internet just to see them because they´re so beautiful. There´s no reasonable use for them, but they make me smile and I enjoy to see everything which is beautiful. :)

Still, photographing dolls is only one part of the doll hobby, and I think everyone should go by what pleases them most. :)

17. Whilst I like photographing my dolls, especially outside where the light/colours are better, I have too much respect for my camera lens than to put myself in front of it :O)

18. Why do you photograph your dolls and make photostories?
      ~ I photograph them, because they're my beautiful inanimate objects. I can pose them like I want. Photography is my hobby & we can say that they’re my “instant” models, so they help me when I hit by a photography idea~ XD~

~ Oh yes~ It’s not once or twice, I’m playing with my dolls in my free time, without taking photos of them. For me, photography needs a very good mood. Some times, I’m not in the right mood for it, so no photos while playing with my dollies~ ^^;

~ Hmm… I dunno, but for me, doll photography is as challenging as human photography~ :) It’s not like photographing action figures or landscape, that won’t pose for you, because you can’t pose them like you want… So… Doll photography can be a single hobby apart from general photography hobby~

~ Some times, I choose the best photo from the shoot and upload it at my personal blog and deviantart. Mostly, I take photos for pleasure and realize my ideas~ ^^

19. I just love all these answers that everyone has! Thanks so much for responding everyone.

Would you go out and spend a large amount of money for a professional DSLR camera to photograph your dolls better? Even If you were not a "professional" photographer?

20. Yes, I would and am in the process of doing just that. :lol: I plan to get a $650 DRLR near the end of this year for (mainly) doll pictures.