1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Why do people buy a doll just to turn around and sell it?

Nov 12, 2016

1. In my opinion, life is too short to hang on to expensive dolls like these if they’re not something you’re totally in love with. And I think we can all agree that seeing a doll in person, it does not always meet up with our expectations we had looking at them online.

I really don’t think anyone should be shamed for feeling that way, and deciding they want to sell and use the money for something better suited to their wants/needs.

2. Honestly I’m glad that collectors out there sell their dolls that they no longer want. This way it gives newbies like me a chance to own and try dolls without having to wait up to a year for their arrival. Plus this is also a great way to get sold out dolls. Also, it’s for finding their beloved dolls a new home and new friends.

3. Because of impulsive purchases.
      I rarely do it, buying a doll and selling it right when it arrives. But I did it just a few weeks ago, when my Minifee Alan came home.
      I don't know why I bought him to begin with : I'm not fond of MSD, I don't like fullset and I prefer girls. Even if Alan has a cute face and a nice body, I changed my mind before he came in. I regretted not buying SD bodies rather than a minifee boy. That's why I asked to someone I knew (and that I knew wanted the Alan without being able to buy it when he was available) if she wanted him right after I got the shipping notice. And I sold him to her the day he arrived.

Now I'm waiting for the SD bodies I needed to begin with and I feel happier.

4. It never happened to me with dolls, but with clothing and wigs.

Pretty much the same story though: it looked good enough on the pictures and it was not what I was expecting in reality. XD Most of the time, it's not that the pieces are defective or anything, I can't fault the makers. Most of the time, they sold me items that were fair for their price, so I have no ground to complain! What I bought just didn't look right on my dolls, that's all. But perhaps I am too picky. XD

My solution is pretty simple though: I just waited to have enough pieces I wanted to get rid off so I could hopefully sell as a bundle for a "quantity deal" to someone who may want several affordable pieces or someone who has a large crew to wig and dress.^^ We all have different wants after all.

It's the same with dolls I think. Once we see the items in person and become disappointed with it, why hang on to it? It takes space and it makes us unhappy whenever we see it. It's better to sell it, if only to reduce our losses. Besides, it can make someone else happy, so why not?

#124 lyaam12, Aug 1, 2021
      Last edited: Aug 1, 2021
    5. Waiting for a doll is never an easy process and most of the wait time is like 5-6 maybe even 7 months (with covid).
      By the time you get the doll, it's quite possible you want a different one or it didn't meet your expectations. People's feelings for the hobby also change in that waiting period. I've bought 10 dolls, 2 are from companies and the rest are being made by artists, and I've probably spent a grand total of 10k on the dolls, eyes, hair, and outfits. All this in a matter of a year. Now had I known Covid was going to happen, I, unfortunately, would have waited and gotten my dolls slowly and also second-hand if possible. I love this hobby and although fairly new, some situations force you out of it. I'll probably never leave this hobby but I do have my moments when I look at my Luha and think ''If I sell you I can move and escape this crappy household'' or ''If I didn't buy you I could have gotten that apartment or car''. I've seen a lot of people sell their dolls for financial reasons mainly. Just recently someone sold their entire collection which ranged to about 50k because she was about to give birth, was moving, and needed income for the time. A lot of reasons make people sell their dolls instantly.

6. This. If it wasn't for those that may want something you no longer want or enjoy, I think people would end up storing them forever or trashing them. Both are terrible, but I've seen people do it especially if they continuously end up frustrated. I love that there's someone who will enjoy a sculpt you couldn't.
      When I started years ago, I had a layaway so I had to wait, but that doll was my perfection. I had seen her company photos but found one secondhand as she wasn't available anymore. I was incredibly happy that the person worked with me.

Now I hunt the counterparts again (boy, and two YOSDs from the set) as I doubt I'll find a second one of her.

If no one sold secondhand, I'd be a really sad collector for some of my dolls.

7. While I have never bought a doll and then sold them right after buying, I do have friends who have had to sell dolls because they either aren't what they want, they can't seem to make them work, or they have bills to pay.

I do think there are some people who do the "buy to sell for more" in any hobby. It's why I am still patiently waiting for the Tokyo Olympics official webstore to come back up. I don't want to pay someone more for something if I don't have to.

I find it to be more frustrating if it was something I want but I can't afford the second hand price. I just have to wait and be patient for the next time it comes around.

8. I think - financial difficulties, or just loooong waiting just...burned out the wish to have this one doll. Maybe, you changed your mind, or just is over with the story that was a year ago and don't need a character more

9. Right? That’s why I’m glad there’s a way to get them through second-hand.

10. I haven't resold a doll yet but all of my current BJD's (aside from my dollfie dream) are second hand. It gives me a chance to play with sizes and see how I like the company's dolls. I love the secondhand market for finding these kinda deals. I have several orders out there still and I can only hope I will love them when they get here but I won't know till they do. If I didn't like them and customizing them didn't do what I wanted, then I'd end up trying to find them a better home with someone who did want them. No point in letting them gather dust and yellow away on a shelf or in a box when someone else could love them.

11. My guess is either finances changed or the long wait changed their wishlist. Dolls are too expensive to keep them just because you bought them, if it doesn’t fit your character or collection anymore then it’s better off with someone who really wanted it. Finances can also change drastically in the several months people wait for a doll, especially now.

However, I personally would never charge more than what I paid for the doll. I just want it to go to a good home.

12. I immediately hated a doll I bought. I paid a lot of money for this particular doll, and I'm on a retiree's budget, so when I save up for a long time to buy a doll, it had better be what I expected. This one doll was supposed to be a nice natural tan color, but when he arrived he was a blinding bright orange. I actually cried. I had him for sale for years before I found a buyer. And I took a huge financial loss.

Usually if there is a minor disappointment or lack of bonding with a doll, I will keep it and give it a good try. Usually it works out. I bought a girl many years ago and just could not bond with her. I tried and tried. My friend even told me she was ugly and I should sell her.
      Well, I tried again, this time changing her wig (for the umpteenth time) and finally she clicked. That new wig gave her a whole new look, and suddenly she made sense to me. Now I love her and will never sell her.

13. Ok so this is just a guess on my part, but I think people assume they love more then they actually do. I have like, 6 dolls and I love them all, but I think people jump on a doll that they love aesthetically, but then shows up and isn't as good as they thought. For me the number one reason I see people selling dolls is that they couldn't bond with them. meaning to me, they didn't like them as much as they thought them did.