1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Why do people dislike character dolls or dolls without backstories?

Oct 4, 2011

1. Being a newbie in this kind of thing, I find this sort of advice very helpful. I do have a plan for my MNF Mirwen but the other two I decided on because I thought they were pretty and the extra wigs and such looked nice. You've encouraged me to think more on the stories for my Rolly and my Lora instead of getting completely focused on Moira (Mirwen's new name) to the detriment of the others.

Lots of planning to do :D

2. I have seen this too and it really bothers me. Who cares what someone does or doesn't do as far as doll characters?!?! You're in the hobby cause you like it - for whatever reason. I own six bjd's - all my characters that I created. But I made them FOR the doll. Not the doll for the character. And as I'm waiting for my next doll I'm thinking of making her Rapunzel. And I know that'll bother people. But ya know what - characters that I love that aren't mine still represent part of me - because I love it! So it really is ridiculous to look down on people for how they choose to express themselves through their dolls.

3. There are several attitudes about this I've seen, and "reasons" not to have character dolls.
      I always get a kick out of the "just buy official merch/a figure of the character."

Sorry, most these figures don't have the realism or pose ability a lot of us want...
      And for SOME of us... We don't HAVE merch to begin with.
      Kaori Yuki is my favorite mangaka... There is NOTHING for her work. There aren't any anime adaptions, let alone figurines. God, I wish there were! But there aren't. I have to make my own.
      That's led to fan t-shirts, lots of work with cosplay, My Little Pony customs, obitsu versions, and finally BJDs. I am a devoted fan. And I love my fan dolls?

Why don't I shell my OCs? Some of them I just don't feel are interesting enough, design wise, to bother finding a doll for. They're happy in my head... The one character I ever WOULD buy a doll for is my character Amelia... The problem? Amelia has this mechanical, bordering on steam punk, prosthetic leg. Simple painting and adding could not add this to a doll. The doll would need a leg sawed off, and bits built for them... It's just too much work.

I prefer to buy a doll, and build a character around that. My OC dolls are in their own little world, or, will be, and it's the same with my character dolls.

Character dolls are less creative, or take less work? Hah, you're kidding me, right?
      Face ups are HARDER for me when I'm doing a character doll.
      When it's just a new doll, with a new character to build around it? I can just start at it, and see what happens. But it's a lot harder to give a character doll a face-up.

4. I have this same problem. The first item I buy that is customizable turns out to be a hodge-podge of everything. I like these dark clothes, but these pretty pink accessories are too adorable. I like the short wig, but that long black wig looks so dramatic. Those crazy-looking eyes can be cool... but I really like those blue ones over there. I've done it before, and most likely, I would've done it again with BJDs. It was probably the best idea I had to get my doll as close to the picture the company had of her - otherwise I have no idea what she'd end up looking like. I'm happy she looks coherent.

Oddly, every consecutive item (or in this case, doll) I want is easily plannable. Stephen was a punk, and he looks like he could be a punk. The next doll is going to be sort of a free spirit/hippie, and I'm OK with buying or making things to reflect that.

I think I get overwhelmed at all the choices and just go all over the place.

5. Eh... I have all of the types discussed here, so I don't have a problem with any of that. One girl of mine is an anime character. Another simply has no backstory whatsoever. She's slowly developing her personality, but I've decided not to bother trying to figure out backstory. It seems to suit her not to go into it. A third, which is on the way, is my own original character that I've been writing stories about for several years now. Since I've been writing about her, she obviously has a well established background and personality already.

These are dolls. People are allowed to do whatever they'd like. If they want a character, fine. If they want an original character, fine. Anything else inbetween is also fine.

6. My dolls are all original characters, I had some ideas when I bought them but they developed their own personality during their "life" with me and my other dollies. I like humour so even if I put some angst in their bg when I do photostories I prefer to make them funny XD
      I like to tease my dolls and I give to them a lot of flaws, for me it's more amusing in this way than having all serious dolls with a perfect behaviour!

but well, everyone loves to put his personality in this hobby in his/her own way so I don't think that keeping inspiration from anime or books for bg, or not making a bg at all is so bad... it all depends on the way you prefer to enjoy your hobby!

7. Many threads exist asking about the attitudes of other collectors/owners. It doesn't seem to matter what the issue at hand is - there will ALWAYS be someone who feels superior to 'you' in any aspect of life in general. Jobs, church, shopping malls, neighborhoods, traffic, and hobbies.

In my eyes, I just say "Oh, YOU'RE one of THOSE." And I try to get on with my life without letting it hurt me too much. I did the whole 'let it hurt me' thing. It's no reflection of ME that I'm treated that way.
      People preach originality but they degrade anyone who does things differently than they do!

8. Personally, I haven't run into much of the rudness that's being described here. Personally, I'm not big on character dolls and will likely never own one, but my best friend has several. Heck, I even sold her one that became one of the Rozen maidens. I have had dolls that are based on original characters and right now that makes of 3/4 of my dolls. Others? They made up their own characters when they got to me. Aforementioned now rozen maiden came to me completely bare and she "decided" she was never going to say a word to me and just point at everything. I also had a puki roll in and 'inform' me that she was a coffee sprite and would be staying a while. Neither of those got in depth stories while I had them.

I think what I'm trying to say that it's surprising that people judge. A lot of doll examples I came across before getting a doll and even now don't have a back story. They're their to be beautiful and bring joy to their owners and others. I don't think that there is any one right way to own a doll. That'd be something like telling those people who buy a doll to have a size reference for making clothing or props that they're not using the doll for what it should be used for. So for the people who are bothered by this, cheer up, enjoy your doll for whatever purpose you've given it, and enjoy the company of those who aren't being rude. ^^

9. Preach on, DanceCat! ;)

I completely agree with your observations... and sad to say at times, I do fall into being intimidated by such people. I was never really good with making back-stories (even in various online rpgs, it took me a ton of brainstorming), but I am fine just giving a teeny bit of personality and name.

10. What I'm currently trying (I'm not good with extensive backstories, either) is little vignettes, featuring my dolls, and seeing how things come to play. It doesn't have to be something really difficult, or extensive. I'm even thinking about doing a vignette about how they shop at the grocery store. No big, major story, yet.

11. I think it's more fun to build a character round the doll rather than making a character first then looking for the perfect doll. For me, that wouldn't work. After my dollies enter my house and gave them clothes and all, they develope thier personalities and I grown stronger with my dolls.

I had this SD that I was making a character for first, but when she got home, she didn't give away any sort of information, because I already decided alot of who she was, so there was no bond between us.
      My dolls don't have so much background stories, I rather like the presence decide and develope them than thier past.

I don't bother how others treat thier dolls, nor if the doll have some sort of story, because is thier money and is thier dolls. they can do whaterever want.