1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Why do you buy BJDs?

May 25, 2010

1. I have seen others talk about wanting (more) BJDs & asking for help in finding certain things.. price being 1 thing I see a lot. I was wondering what was the reasoning behind purchasing your 2nd doll and so on? Were you completly inlove with the mold & had to just have it? Did you simply want more dolls so you grabbed 1 you could quickly get? Were you looking for a specific doll but ran into something else along the way?

As for me, my 1st doll was a "quick buy" I suppose. I wanted a SD BJD but didnt know a thing about different brands and such. I found an Abio Angel & thought he looked really cute & was cheap compared to other dolls. Every other doll I have purchased was completly out of EXTREAMLY loving the mold & no other reason.

2. I like collecting figures but they're just in a fixed pose and will be like that for the rest of my life and figmas are tiny and easily broken. I wanted something I could more or less play with and have fun with. And then I saw how big some BJDS could be and that settled it for me. I want character dolls. As I said I like collecting figures, I want to own re-creations of my favorite characters and BJD’s are taking this to the extreme and I like it (which is good because my mom thinks all my figures are dolls. She’s so cute:)). I also like the idea of having a beautiful doll and knowing she/he's everything I wanted them to be, copyrighted character or not.

I also hate the limited mass produced Azone style of dolls. They just irk me to no end. I feel they could’ve done so much better but settled for crap. And for the price of Medicom Zero or Chun Li I could put a down payment on a real doll with joints that won’t snap like twigs and aren’t so completely fugly. Who needs interchangable hands when you can have jointed ones?

3. My first doll was also a "quick buy", but my second doll (I should say my second COMPLETE doll, as I had a floating head before I got my Yo and only recently got the body for it) I saw and he just....called to me. I kept circling him at the doll meet I saw him at, holding his little sign that said he was for sale. I couldnt go home without him.
      I guess I try to keep all my doll purchases that way. I don't buy on impulse or because of the popularity of the mold/doll. There are TONS of dolls I say I want, but the ones I own, I own because they had that special SOMETHING that resonated within me.

4. My first doll was weeks of agonizing fretting and research. Then I decided it didn't work so I got a different doll to replace her. I had a second character that I rolled into yet-another doll. My Cuprit basically came for a need to have a complete-set doll. My others are all naked and don't have proper wigs yet, etc. so I really wanted a masterpiece doll that was completely finished that I could display immediately. My own characters will be done eventually, but for now Cuprit is my masterpiece until the others catch up :)

5. I have been in love with dolls since i was a child (barbie), throughout my teenage years (bratz and barbie), and into current years (BJDs)...
      The first BJD that i ever purchased was a "Quick buy" as you call it, and i didn't fall in love with her... I sold her almost 2 months after having her to save up for a girl i really loved...
      Being on the forum has taught me a lot of things about different brands(cheaper vs. Not) and i definitely do not buy anything "quick buy" anymore, unless it is a brand i know and love. But even then i never buy any doll that doesn't fit one of my characters because i cannot handle a doll with no personality, and i do not want to have a doll in my collection that doesn't fit somewhere in it...

6. LOL awesome. My 1st & 2nd dolls were modeled after the singer & lead guitarist of a Japanese rock band named D & my newest doll, whom will be here in less then 3 weeks will be LINK! *points at uour icon* 8D. I have gone so far as 2 make Chuchu & Tingle figures lolol *inspired by Wind Wakers & Minish Caps figure collection *. Having a 60cm Link will be BOSS as hell!

7. My first doll was something I agonised over. I truely loved how it looked so I made the purchase ...and I then learned it was an illegal copy. My second doll was to undo the bad choice I made with my first doll.

I then bought another doll as an impulse "rescue" and thus started my interest in second hand dolls. Since then it's been a lot of selling in order to buy something I want more.

These days there are no impulse buys although there are times when it is very tempting. I am now focusing on completing the dolls I do have.

8. THOSE ARE EXCATLY MY FEELINGS!! Yay!!!!

9. I was a hardcore tomboy growing up & it wasnt until I was 22ish that I found dolls (BJDs) to be amazing. As for having characters 4 my dolls, most have 1 set up long b4 they are purchased. As for my twins, they are kinda like me. One is shy, a nerd, loves lolita fashion. The other more uh.. bold :).

10. Well, after I got my first doll, I realized I loved BJD's, and that minis were a good size for me. But, there were some things I didn't like about him: his eye sockets were so big that it was hard to make his eyes look good, and I didn't like his hands; I wanted his fingers to be separated. Also, I thought it would be nice to have a girl to dress up in dresses. So for my second doll, I was looking for a mini girl, with smaller eyes and nice hands, and that's exactly what I got. I had no intentions of getting a third doll until the doll I had wanted for my first came back in stock (back then I wasn't really clear on how these things worked; I thought he was gone forever) and I caved and got him. Fast forward several years (I was out of the hobby for a while due to my location) and I started missing the feeling of opening a new doll, and besides I should have an even number of girls and boys right? (Oh the ways we justify these things!) So I started looking around and a ton of new dolls had been released while I was gone, and I absolutely fell in love with doll #4. I had been curious about tinies for a while so when I finally found one that appealed to me that was my fifth doll. Then I thought, if I had a new mini girl I might as well have a new mini boy who represented my current tastes better (excuses getting flimsier and flimsier, can you tell?) and I got doll #6. Then I found an adorable tiny boy to go with my tiny girl, and then Dollmore had some to-die-for LE's, and then I figured I might as well try out SD's, and wouldn't you know it Iplehouse just made one that looked just like one of my favorite actresses . . .

Why do I buy BJD's? I think it's an addiction. :sweat

As for the money thing, back when I got into the hobby there were no inexpensive dolls. You wanted a BJD, you coughed up the money. About the only way to make it less expensive was to get an MSD. That was the size I was interested in anyway though, so it all worked out.

11. Whos the actress? :D

12. I bought a doll about five years after seeing my first BJD back in 2000. Volks was the only company making BJDs at the time and even though I loved the way they looked none of them were quite right for me. I stopped looking for a couple of years and when I checked back into the hobby I saw that there were new companies and lots of new dolls. That's when I saw one I wanted.

My first doll is one of the central characters in a story I play around with. After that I started buying the next most important characters and I'm slowly working my way out to the edges of the full cast circle. So if I have the character in mind already I wait until I see the right doll. Sometimes I buy the head and then see where I can fit them into the cast list. Pretty soon I'll have to choose dolls to play Innocent Bystander #1 and Bank Teller since I'm running out of characters and I still want more dolls.

13. My first doll was definitely not was quick buy. Took me near two years before buying one.

However once I found the right companies that sell dolls with lots of fun potential, it just kinda snowball from there.

I buy them because I like them

14. my first doll wasn't a quick buy either but now that i have him i started hunting for another one i figured that since he was 60 cm i needed a 70 cm one.

There for i buy them cause they are my resin crack:aheartbea

15. my very first doll was given to me by my friends, although i was already saving up for one. I buy dolls because I like them, they are not so demanding as rl-children, but do give a bit companionship without eveer beeing bossy or so. they amuse me and help me be creative for them, as a focus instead of just doing things any old how.
      mainly because they brighten up my day 8)

16. My first doll was a gift from my parents (graduation present) and I got my second doll, because my first doll was a boy that I didn't want to crossdress, but I did want to make doll dresses and skirts. It was kind of hard to find the right girl doll, as I don't find girl dolls that interesting, but in the end I found a mold that appealed to me.

I've bought dolls because it was a bargain, the mold called out to me, it was a limited, it suited the character I wanted to make, I wanted to do a certain mod project, I wanted to have a body with that style of jointing and engineering, it was a "rescue doll" that I couldn't leave in the MP, or I had trouble deciding which tiny to buy and thus I bought a MA. :sweat

So I have very diverse reasons to buy dolls, but mostly because I like them and how they look.

17. Sena Jun.:) Allow me to spam my comparison:

[​IMG]

18. Well I started out just wanting to shell a few of my most beloved characters from things I've written, but while I was trying to find the perfect mold for them each (I was originally planning to have six 'character' dolls) I have found so many other molds that don't fit any of my characters at all, but for some reason I'm completely drawn to them and I feel like I just have to have them. @-@ BJDs are a curse and I'm locked in their grasp. So basically for me, I just like to have them to feel happy; I like how they look and in the case of my characters, it's sort of like a dream come true to be able to make them real.

19. Why do you buy BJDs?

Basically because I like them. I did not know a thing about different brands and such either when I bought my first. I fell into BJDs and purchased my first one because when I saw her she curiously reminded me (And many people who know me) of myself. Pretty soon, before she arrived home, I found a peach wig which made me change my mind about the character she would be. She became Nami, from One Piece manga and anime series. After that I had to get the rest of the crew. That has been my main why to get more BJD (The rest of the main characters from this title for me). I have recognized my vision of many of them in BJD molds really quickly, but some other few (Last) times I have been looking for sculpts which matched the characters I was chasing. Therefore generally my request to buy BJD is liking it and seeing in it a character at a same time. My reason to go on buying, the characters who join the crew in this Eiichiro Oda's pirating adventure.

20. I originally saw some beautiful bjds at a blog site, and feeling curious looked them up elsewhere online and on Ebay. That was only this year, but I realised very quickly that I could work with these dolls creatively, both in terms of fiction and photography. I almost bought a doll on impulse - a Dollmore - but let it pass. A couple of days after that I bought a vinyl jointed doll, and she was somewhat held up by the volcano. In the five or six weeks that it took her to arrive, I saw another doll, an HZ boy, that I really loved. I left it for a few weeks, but kept going back to have another look at him. In the end, I bought him as a full set. I'm a longterm saver, so though I live on a low income, I had money in the bank and could actually buy more, however I'm determined to get my savings up again. I may put the next doll on layaway. The HZ boys are less expensive than others, but that was not what drew me to them. I simply loved Wangye more than any other doll I'd seen. His price was a bonus, and made me more willing to take a chance on him. I haven't seen him yet, but I've already got my eye on Schuster, am starting to get a little too fond of Tian, and the doll I liked least, Han, is starting to make his presence known big time. I may however buy heads for some of them. I love Iplehouse's Asa and Jessica, but they're far more expensive, so at this point it's more likely I'll buy one or two more HZs first.