1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Why do you think no one seems to want to trade?

Jun 15, 2017

1. Back when I was new to the hobby, it was a lot safer to trade in this community... but sadly, there have been awful people that have seeped through the cracks & have ruined trading's reliability in our hobby.

I would still trade if it was for something I REALLY wanted & I did a few months ago. I don't like the idea of trading out of the country, though.

Remember to check that feedback!

2. I'd have no issue trading in person, but I've heard way to many horror stories about online trades going wrong to participate in one. I would have to know the person well and they'd have to have some incredible feedback before I even considered trading.

3. The only "safe" way to trade is probably through paypal... You agree on a price, and send that amount of money so both people are paypal-backed. But with a hobby as expensive as bjds, that also means that someone would have to have initially a good chunk of money tucked away to do it - which, considering the value of bjds, probably isn't the most likely thing when someone wants to do a trade anyways. (since well... expensive)
      So because of that, I probably wouldn't trade bjds. The only thing I've ever traded online was a nude pullip for another nude pullip, and for whatever reason they didn't want to do the paypal backed thing but they were willing to send their half first, so there's that I suppose. Though I don't think most people would be willing to do that? (Least I always always under the impression people typically send out on the same day)

But I'm pretty meticulous when it comes to my dolls, I think, and I've gotten dolls with unexpected flaws and damage from normal buying/selling, so I think I'd be pretty wary when it came to trades. Just because I want a particular sculpt doesn't mean I want that particular doll. I've also seen a lot of horror stories involving trading (dolls or otherwise) so I think the only time I'd do a trade is in person at a doll meet or something, personally.

4. I think most people don't want to trade because their worried about sending out a doll and not receive one in return. There are a lot of scammers and just nasty people out there. plus no one wants to get a doll that looks like one thing in a picture and end up with something entirely different. It all comes down to trust and nervousness. I'm not fond of trading unless its person to person.

5. I don't think its about not wanting to trade. I just started a trade deal yesterday. A lot of it is people want way too much for an item. they have over inflated the items worth without doing any research. Example: there is a doll in the market for $1200...I just bought the same doll for $700...and most of the similar dolls are going for $500-700 and still on the market. No one is going to trade $1200 worth of items for a doll only selling for $700 on the market.

6. I am actually in the process of trying to trade now. Though I've had no luck yet, I find it to be a fun experience. Almost like the thrill of the hunt.

I think others may not feel as confident about trading because this is something you would have to put a LOT of trust in other person for. I've never actually done a trade with someone before, but I understand the feeling of anxiety you might get from being screwed over. When it comes to purchasing, it's easy. You send money, they send package. Most of the time when done online, it's through a company. Whether that company is a middleman or the doll manufacturer directly, there is a certain amount of comfort in knowing that if something happens you will be reimbursed. When it comes to trading, there is no middle man. You have to figure out how to complete the trade with both parties being satisfied. I will admit, the thought of me sending my doll to someone else just for them to not send me the doll they agreed to send me has crossed my mind. This is not a cheap hobby, so if something like that were to happen what can you do about it? It's a tough situation to find yourself in... thankfully I am a pretty firm believer that most people in this hobby realize these aspects and respect each other enough to not try and pull something like that. We are here for a common interest which makes us all a pretty unique community.

7. For me, the idea of trading online without something like Paypal backing is too risky.
      I'm in Australia so there's already the risk and cost of overseas postage, which from my experiences selling my old weeb stuff on ebay, is already enough trouble.

8. I think there will always be trades in the hobby, but there are plenty of reasons people don't always feel comfortable with it because yes, it's a risk.
      I think part of the ebb and flow of trade interests are shifting interests and financial situations within the hobby over time. I feel that the economy is really bad in the USA right now for example, and that's my personal market because our international shipping is an unreasonably expensive disaster now. I like to trade, but when times are hard enough it's money I really need, a new doll would almost feel worse sometimes. But on the flip side when times are hard but I'm not about to starve sometimes a trade is a welcome pick me up.
      I think trading through DoA specifically is as safe as it ever was. Not by any means guaranteed, but the internet equivalent of a gated community :lol: at least if someone can't conduct business appropriately here there will eventually be consequences. That's at least something. Something is better than nothing! So I have traded through the MP here but I don't trade dolls anyplace else. Everyone has their comfort zones.
      I think maybe things ebb and flow but also it's easy to feel some situation is worse than before if it happens to be a problem for you in the moment. I feel this year I see hardly any trades on DoA but I'm not sure if that's my own bias or not.

9. I’ve done a lot of trades, both on here and elsewhere, and I’ve always gone into it with the understanding that there’s a chance I’m going to be screwed over, especially since I’ve traded with people who have no feedback. That’s not a risk a lot of people are willing to take, which is extremely understandable, but thus far it’s worked out for me. Also when I trade, it’s usually a doll that I haven’t been able to sell, which makes it easier to accept the risk.

I think safety/trust concerns, needing cash, not wanting what people have to offer, downsizing, not wanting to deal with the hassle, and shipping costs are generally the major reasons why people aren’t interested.

10. My biggest reason not to trade is I'm very picky about who I add to my collection and I doubt anyone is going to offer the exact doll on my wishlist. My secondary concern is scams. They aren't as common here on DoA, but elsewhere they seem to happen frequently and all notice of them is washed away instantly in the sea of never ending posts.

11. I have been offered to trade my dolls instead of payment. I prefer payment. Anyway, my reasons are listed below.

1. The doll doesn't equal the value of my doll. I am not willing to trade for a doll that is lesser value or more value than my doll. I want it to be almost equal in value. If not I find that unfair. That is how i am. If I would go with a trade and the person wants my doll and my doll has higher value then I expect more items added to equal the value if it was the other way around and i had a lesser value doll I would offer more dolls and items to equal the value of the doll. I get confused when people don't list what the value of their doll is then trade, so we can make a trade that I find is fair for both parties.

2. Trading is risky in my opinion I might get scammed and not get the doll or they might send me a fake for my legit doll. I have trust issues.

3. I never really liked trading my stuff. I'm scared of germs.

4. I prefer dolls that haven't been played with and I can try buying second hand in its box. This relates to germs and because I like new items.

5. I am very picky none of the dolls were to my liking and i am afraid of peoples reactions during trade offers. I'm am looking for my grail dolls. I am not willing to trade for a doll I don't like and have to sell it off because someone really wants my doll. It was hard at first and i was racked with guilt and fear, but I've gotten better at saying no to the trade offer. I almost did trade because of guilt and fear of not letting this person have a doll they really wanted, but everyone was really nice and understanding. I expected expletive laden rant if i said no, so that added to my fears. My sister randomly would get people (all females) at work bullying her when she stands up for herself because they are incredibly jealous of her and they are extremely petty. When she told me these things I got afraid of standing up to people. They are now trying to get her fired this all happened because guys would tell her she was pretty (she didn't even know she was because we've spent most of our lives being told we were ugly by females and our parents told us we were unlovable and needed to earn love). Anyway, if people can get this petty and jealous I began to think if I said no to a trade maybe it could lead to problems. All this experiences combined has made me very afraid to say no or to stand up fir myself. I try to keep people as happy as possible and degrade myself to prevent any problems. Anyway, it turned out fine and no one lashed out at me for refusing a trade, but that extreme fear is still there. That fear has led to me giving some of my stuff away for free in the past to people in school. I even thought about giving a bjd doll head away for free because i was so afraid people would get jealous of my collection. I try to make sure the other person feels prettier, better, and superior to my sister and me to keep us safe. I try to appear less threatening to a person ego. If they are jealous i have nice stuff I hide it away. If they are jealous I am thin and pretty i will make myself fat and look as ugly as possible. That's why i am afraid of trades and why trade offers are incredibly hard for me. I've been getting better though due to our mental state being better and my sister constantly telling me to look in the mirror and she spends a long time telling me how pretty I am and not to listen to those people. She has also been telling me not to give in to what people want like selling a doll for way cheaper than I should because I have done this.

6. All my dolls are brand new except one second hand which is practically brand new. I feel like my doll will be in near perfect condition for someone else's dolls. The dolls that have been offered were old and played with. I keep my dolls in good condition. I don't display them, I don't keep them in the sun, I handle them like priceless paintings, and I store them in good conditions. I feel like I will be losing out. Maybe one day I will display them. My idea of playing with a doll is looking at and enjoying the doll like an art piece. I do not want to handle my doll too much because i enjoy my dolls in my own way which is to look at it. I'm more of a collector than a person who plays with what they buy. I used to be the other way, but I've regretted handling my cheaper dolls such as pullips and monster high dolls like that. I seem to value my dolls less if I end up playing with them too much. I think maintaining my dolls conditions is also part of the play aspect for me.

I think I got off topic my mind wandered while trying to explain my fears of trading because my fear isn't very normal. It was hard to word it so I got very long winded and off topic trying to explain my fear of trading. I'm sorry about that. My biggest problem with trade is making the other person unhappy or angry or some sort of negative feeling towards me. I've been improving little by little. Now I even share what dolls I collect. Although the fear still lingers and I am afraid one day someone is going to get upset with me. Now I'm hoping I can even get non-toxic friends who won't abuse me and share my hobby with me. This hobby seems nice. The majority of our lives we've only attracted abusive friends who who would lie, steal, spread false rumors, and condition us to believe we aren't as good as them, uglier, dumber, and beneath them. I really hoping to get some doll friends by listing my collection. It seems people with nice collections in thiis hobby has lots of nice friends. I'm sorry I think I got off topic again.

#31 Forever We Are Young, Aug 10, 2023
      Last edited: Aug 10, 2023
    12. I've done a lot of trading here on DoA over the years, both of dolls and of accessories/clothing. I have not had any bad issues from it and everything went pretty well. I did my research on people before agreeing to terms and made sure to plan a specific time to mail stuff and how to mail stuff. I guess I've been fortunate because I was able to get some dolls I never would have if I had had to pay for them.

As for why many don't seem to like trades? Fear, distrust, the unknown, having a shipping issue, and scammers come to mind as possible reasons. I'm not including 'offering a lower value on the trade' as a reason because that happens even in sales so I don't think of it as only a trade deterrent. Low ball offers come through for lots of things.

I wish we did more trades, and I think of DOA as a pretty good place to conduct a trade, so long as research is done first and everyone participating is transparent about their abilities and history. :3nodding:

13. I've traded for clothes/accessories and for lower cost doll items (heads mostly), and I feel like so long as the DoA feedback is established and everyone agrees on the terms I'm ok with the risk. I would still do low cost/low risk trades for clothes or accessories even today. I've gotten some really interesting and novel things I might not have thought to buy for myself that way.

I doubt I would trade a whole doll for another whole doll again. I have done it before, but at this point in my collecting I don't really want/need a random doll. And while I have also done international trades, with how international packages have had unreliable results lately I don't think I'd risk that either lately.

14. I don't like trades, so I don't offer or accept them. If someone offered to give me a lot of wigs or clothes or a few doll heads for a doll, like. I don't want that random crap. I want things that are useful to my doll plans, and I get those with money. So give me money, lol.

I wanted to say I don't trust trades, and I don't, but ultimately it's because I want money. That's it.

15. Yeah, I think a lot of people who *do* trade might do so in-person with people they trust-- or, at meets and such, at least where they have the chance to examine the dolls before agreeing. Whereas in online marketplaces, it's too easy for it to go wrong for one side or the other.

16. Lot of info in your comment, but I wanted to call this out specifically: your sister is right.

They are your dolls, you paid for them with your money, nobody else gets to decide if or when you sell or trade them, or put a value on them, except you. Some people might be jealous, but that's not your fault and you don't owe them anything. "No" is a full sentence, and if you don't want to do a trade or price drop, then you don't need to try to justify or explain it. Your happiness is every bit as deserved as anyone else's. <3

17. So I was at my friends and I know she has traded a lot, so I asked her....

The biggest thing for declining a trade was they didnt have what she needed or vis versa. She has even traded nondoll items for dolls like a pair of ultrasabers with someone with no trade feedback if any. so i dont think feedback really plays a huge part as long as you dont have negative.

I am pretty lost in all the available dolls. I know my friend catters to Soom, Fairyland, and Souldoll. I am sure there are others with completely different tastes. My friend wants claws and hooves. I want fashionable high heels. it is such a niche hobby that it is hard to find trade partners with the same tastes.

18. I’ve done many trades over the years, but I’ve also had one too many people send me badly packed dolls that were banged up or full on broke in transit. When I said something to the other person it was always, “Well, it’s never been a problem before!” That doesn’t make the doll any less devalued because now it’s broken!

So I mostly don’t do trades anymore unless I know the person.

19. Because BJD is a niche and the dolls are handmade collectors items that are a part of an even more specific niche.

Recasts exist because they're much cheaper. Personal opinions aside, someone's supposed to say if their doll is a recast because the real deal is an expensive personal experience. The price point means that a regular person usually has no choice but to get a payment plan. The dolls themselves can be completely different from each other because each artist/studio can have a completely different way of making a doll and they can have completely different faces. You don't just "get" a BJD, you're buying a unique limited product that is made by hand from one single source. The doll itself can just be one component of the purchase because you're kind of obligated to throw more $$$ at it to get clothes and the other necessary things for a BJD.

So, a BJD is a very personal experience where every person involved has put alot of different types of labor into it.

Sellers can have an issue where they attempt to sell their preowned BJD at the price of a new one. It's not uncommon for an overpriced one to sit to sell for a long time until someone wants that specific doll. BJD is niche enough for the overpriced doll to be the only one available. The seller would keep the price for the same reason as someone might not want to trade. Both people have a different individual perception of their doll.

20. I've done LOTS of trades in the past, not so much these days and my improved financial situation is the only reason :)

I've done doll for doll, comissioned clothes for a doll, readymades for a doll... Because there was a time when I couldn't just afford to buy dolls, and a full time, reasonably paid job was not an option.

I always made sure that the other person felt they benefited from it, so I'd include some extras, etc.

Also, I proposed the trades to people selling less expensive and/or older dolls.

Right now, I prefer to downsize, but there are some specific dolls I wouldn't say no to :) the chance to get them in a trade is low, however.

As for being proposed to trade, it didn't happen too many times, but I believe it's okay to ask, because the worst I can say is no.

The things I'd never trade (or buy 2nd hand, for that matter) are wigs. That's the only kind if dolly items I had bad experience with.

As for the technical aspects, I care about the feedback, and I also care to keep mine perfect. I think that e.g. keeping in touch and fast communication is super important, especially since dolls are expensive anyway, and I care not to stress people out!

#40 CutieKitty, Sep 3, 2023
      Last edited: Sep 3, 2023