1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Why people sell?

Mar 4, 2010

1. on the other hand, you can look at all of the other people here who read your post and DIDN'T get offended (the vast majority, comparitively), did you expect that? :D

2. even so, thats no reason to critize the opinion of other ppl. and in my first post i even said "well if thats what makes them happy" so i find it funny if ppl tell me that i apparently try to tell others what to do with their money, which i dont. actually i dont care what others do, i merely stated my opinion.

well sometimes even i get surprised :)

3. Well, I can't tell about others, but I have specific ideas about the dolls I buy. And you can never know only from a picture if the doll you bought will be really what you want, so I can perfectly understand it people have bonding issues after a few weeks/days. I know I wouldn't keep the doll just for the sake of keelping it forever if it didn't work for the character I wanted it to...

4. I haven't read anything about people being offended, but whatever. And people are also stating their opinions, just like you have.
      And I like the comparison with clothes. Especially when ordered online. when you get it home, it might turn out to be nothing like it looked like in the pictures. Dolls have this too.
      And people just change their minds. About everything. That's just human nature. And as said before, if you spend $600 on a doll, and end up disliking it, you might aswell try and get that money back.

5. Personally, I've yet to see a company that's able to photograph their dolls in a way that means I can tell PRECISELY what it looks like. They just don't and as a result, a lot of people end up discovering that their shiny new doll looks nothing like they imagined and choose to part ways with it for that reason.

Everyone else already mentioned the million and one other reasons why people sell so I'm not going to rehash them, but suffice to say, for me, until I have it home and in my hands, I can't tell whether it's right for the character I had in mind, or whether I'm going to fall in love with it.

It doesn't bother me in the slightest when I see other people selling on practically new dolls, in fact, I kinda like it because I like to buy second hand and I've been able to pick up some beautiful dolls in that way. I don't really understand why it would bother anyone tbh, unless it was an LE that was being blatantly flipped, and even then, open market means you're not obligated to buy so why worry?

6. That's a great point, you can really pick up great bargains in the MP in these cases because people will usually discount a doll (even if it's brand new and unplayed with) and you can get a doll faster than from a company w/ a long production time (SOOM!) and often for less shipping too. seems like a win/win to me.

7. Also, there's this whole thread here which is basically a massive long list of reasons why people chose to sell on their dolls, and also proof positive that you can't always guarantee that what comes out of the box is what you THOUGHT you were getting.

8. Thirded, I've heard the Soom horror stories and would much rather get a Soom doll off the MP than go to them directly.

9. I sold a doll because there was another doll I wanted more. I never bonded with the previous doll (plus I can't afford to keep a doll I'm not deeply in love with). Also the new doll had a much deeper personal meaning for me.

10. No one's personally attacking you--they just see things differently and are politely giving their own opinions. :sweat

Anyhoo. There have been many reasons why I've sold dolls in the past. Mostly bonding issues, but I was having those issues because the dolls did not turn out as I expected. With two of the dolls I've sold, the problem was their head size. I had a Shiwoo minifee paired with one of my Volks girl MSDs, and his small head made my Volks girl look like she was wearing a bloated mascot costume head. I did like my Shiwoo, but he had to go--the head size difference bugged me too much. I had that same problem with the doll head I'm trying to sell right now. He was supposed to be a big-guy thug, and his head was the smallest of my SDs. *_*

There have also been times when people "grow up" their dolls whenever their characters in mind change--that's happened to me too. One of my characters, Aria, used to be a Volks YoSD but then I realized that she was better suited in an slightly older form. She's an MSD now and is absolutely perfect to me.

Whether the doll is pretty or not is irrelevant to me. The doll has to fit with the character I have in mind.

11. then apparently you didnt read their entire posts, but thats fine, nvm now. but please dont make it sound like i feel pointlessly offended for no reason, thank you.

12. they may have reacted to the "i find "____" behavior kind of stupid" comment. While it's your opinion and you are welcome to it, it CAN read a little harsh since it sounds like you are calling people stupid for exhibiting such behavior/logic processes. (FYI, just my theory)

13. Because people do what they want ?

No seriously ? There are tons of reasons, need of money and that's urgent, because you can't help it on the website the doll was great but in hand it's just bleh .... because it's not what you think it would be and have been misleaded by site ( photoshop) because .... there are many worth reasons why people would sell a doll after a month.

Think to Soom, the MD are up for sell one day after the owner received it lol and the double of the price most of the time.

You buy online, you NEVER know what you will get, it can be great it can be bleh, if the doll is in the end bleh it's rather normal to find it on the marketplace. And dolls are like everything, no matter the price, if you don't use it, sell it, it is not a collecting dust item.

14. I think people have a lot of reasons for doing what they do. Personally, I am selling several of my dolls because they no longer fit for the characters originally intended or the design aesthetic I previously liked. Additionally, I sold a number of heads that I had bought probably too quickly without properly assessing what characters I wanted. It has been a good experience though because they have gone to people who will love these sculpts and work with them better than I could.

When you look at pictures online, you may not be able to see the sculptural issues (e.g. symmetry) in company photos and you may not be able to see how well they pose either. Everyone has different preferences particularly for how much modification they might want to do to aid in posing: I prefer a fairly good poser right off the bat.

15. in my opinion its stupid, thats different than calling ppl stupid who do it

16. For me, selling is just a part of the hobby. I sell eyes, wigs, clothes that I don't want so that I can buy more until I find what I DO want. If I was a collector would I keep them all and just keep buying even if I didn't like it when it arrived?

I recently sold a doll my first time selling one, and it was because I wasn't doing anything with her. She was my first and only tiny and I don't like tinies! I couldn't have known this previous to having her because she was my first one! But I sold her to someone who was very excited to have her, and it brought me money so I could use it toward a new doll.

My question I guess is....why keep something you don't want when you can sell it and buy something you do want?

17. ok, you have the right to call it that (i appreciate the difference myself) ... but other people have a right to find that harsh and react to it. when posting your "unvarnished" opinions you have to expect getting the same in return :)

ok, anyway this is probably off-toic. i'm always happy to argue word selection and semantics, it's the communications major in me :lol:

18. I have done this.....and in less than a month also. For me, with one particular doll that I thought I 'loved', (DT Elysia) - it turned out that I loved looking at other people's Elysia more than I enjoyed having my own.

I've sold quite a few dolls, not that I'm proud of that, but most of the time it has been for financial reasons. This is an expensive hobby and I can't afford to buy every doll that I fall in love with and I'm really not a good saver! At the moment, I don't think I would feel comfortable having more than around 6-7 dolls at any one time....I haven't quite resolved the 'guilt' factor that I could be saving that money in a pension fund or paying off bills etc.....

Also, I don't think people who sell their dolls should be 'judged' for it. I've said this before in other threads, but it takes all sorts to make the world go around; some people are marathon runners, some are sprinters....what I mean by this is, some people are able to think a long time and research their options with measured care, some people are impulse buyers and fall in and out of love with sculpts on a weekly basis. Both are okay IMO! ;)

p.s. I agree with Ayusan - I would rather sell a doll than have it collecting dust or put away in it's box....my dolls are always on display! ;)

19. ~Mello~...dude...chill out, people have calmly answered the questions set by the OP and stated their opinions, making this an interesting read. So far in this whole thread, you're the only one giving it attitude. You're as entitled to your opinion as the next person, but don't expect everyone who doesn't agree with your opinion to just back down on their own, it's kinda not conducive to a discussion!

Jola hit the nail on the head in that when worded in such a forcible manner, such things can come across as snippy even when not intended to be, it's no big deal! We get it, you don't understand why people sell dolls and you think it's stupid, ok, no need to flog the dead horse.

20. i know, thats why i said i expected it :)

i am chilled. actually, my answers are just as calm as theirs, so i dont really see a reason for you telling me to "chill" and saying im having an "attitude" o.o but ok