1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Why people sell?

Mar 4, 2010

1. I've thought about this issue as well. Like what a lot of you have already said, it would be difficult to part with a doll that I've invested so much time in, unless I was 100% sure it wasn't working out. However, I also understand how it could be difficult to keep a doll that you haven't bonded with, especially after waiting so long to receive it. I have a tiny that I waited foooorever for, but as soon as I got her, some rather big things came up (like me moving 500 miles away). I can't say as I've really connected with her yet, but I don't want to give up, either.

2. hmmm well let's see i sell dolls because i can. i have a strict rule that applies to all dolls that i buy if they don't mesh well with my main and first doll then they get the boot!!! i normally test them out for a few months but i won't keep a doll that doesn't go with my favorite one; basically if the doll isn't the picture of perfection with main doll then it has to go. this keeps my numbers low (currently back to 1 doll ^^') and allows me to keep trying out dolls to find the perfect one to go with my favorite boy.

3. I love my dolls to pieces (ok not pieces... that would be bad...), but right now I am having to sell them because Im stuck in Nevada with a broken truck and I need to get home to California. Im going to miss my girls deeply, but I know they understand my reasons. I just hope that they are bought by someone who will give them a good home and love them as much as I do. :)

4. I totally agree with selling a doll you can love. I don't buy things in person if they do not cause something to stir inside of me esp. being a poet. If I got a doll who didn't make me feel I would definitely sell her to someone who would love her more. My baby Deirdre is just fantastice and I love her, but other dolls I have seen of the same model are just boring to me.

5. I have done it but I had very specific reasons. When I am planning to buy a doll, I do a lot of "research" on it which basically is just looking up as many photos of that mold I can find. The idea is to see the doll with as many different faceups, wigs, clothes, etc so I have a well-rounded idea of what the doll is like, that way I know for sure I will like it. So it's very rare for me to sell a doll quickly, because they are almost always what I am expecting.

Only three of my dolls (that I can think of) did not last long. First one, the doll company sent me the wrong color but I thought I could live with it. After a month... not so much. So I sold him. Second one was my first tiny, and that size just did NOT work for me (it's hard to know if you like a size without owning one!). Third one was a rather old whiteskin doll, which had a very creamy ivory color. Alone, he was very beautiful, but next to my other dolls his color looked very strange, and since I keep all my dolls in one place I decided to sell him since he always looked bad with the others.

I think that for a lot of people, the dolls they buy represent pre-existing characters they have made up. And for some people, perhaps these characters are constantly evolving in their minds, which would mean at some point the dolls representing those characters no longer suit the character. That's my theory, anyway. xD And maybe some people just have a hard time imagining how a doll will look in person only based on photos, and are disappointed once the doll arrives.

I would not feel nervous buying from people who quickly sell dolls. In fact, I would feel more confident in them since it means they have had a lot of large transactions and will be easier to deal with (as opposed to someone who is selling a doll for the first time, and may or may not know how to pack appropriately or use insurance or whatever). I always check a seller's feedback before buying anyways, and if they've sold a lot of dolls then chances are they have lots of good feedback. :3

6. Personally I'd rather brave the seedy underbelly of the internet, craigslist, for some kind of money gaining method, rather than sell any of the dolls I have now. But selling one shortly after getting it because it was totally different than you thought it would be I can understand.

7. One of the reasons that I've sold dolls is that the transaction was so terrible. I found that all I could see when I looked at the dolls was the stress and bad feeling that the transaction had caused for me.

I've also sold dolls because I needed the money and I didn't have many other options to get it.

8. My first doll was an Elfdoll limited edition tan K. I did my research, he looks exactly how I envisioned he would look, and my transaction was perfect.

He's up for sale.

Why? Well, basically, he's spent the past eight or so months in his box in my closet. I don't enjoy handling him because everytime I do I think of the myriad of other things I could have spent the money on. I didn't buy him impulsively and I expected to keep him forever and ever and ever. However, he doesn't inspire me at all on a creative or aesthetic level. It's no fault of the doll, he's lovely. It just took my seeing him in person and handling him to realize he isn't a mold for me. So that's why I resell. I don't see the point in keeping things that don't inspire and excite me.

On the other hand, I have two other SD boys I'm over the moon for. I don't like putting them away or covering them (I keep them covered while I'm at school and work so they get the most minimal level of sunlight and so the cat doesn't investigate). The funny thing is, I was very unsure about one of my boys at first and regretted ordering him but the moment I opened him I knew he was for me.

I suppose I'm the kind of person who needs to handle something before making a final decision. Thankfully, there are lots of wonderful people out there who are more than willing to take home my less loved dolls and give them good homes.

9. I have bought and sold my dolls three times. Each time I had a decent enough reason not for wanting it. I thought it better to sell it, rather than let it wrought on a shelf or in a box and be unloved. I am sort of a collector, too. I view it as selling clothes, in a way. You may adore something you buy, but later, your style changes or you just think it better to give it up. Whether you donate it with no gain, or sell it to a secondhand shop and get a few dollars back.. It's better than letting it do nothing.

For example, the three I have sold.. One was an impulse. I did like her for quite some time, but after loosing a job and knowing she wasn't getting enough attention here, I figured the money was worth more than having something I don't like that much on a shelf.

The other two were limiteds I had bought. I loved both boys dearly, but one I knew I would never get a body for and later figured I can't bond with SD dolls or boys very well. I sold him to a girl who loves him more than I ever could, and I'm very happy with that.
      With the other doll, it was the biggest hassel to even GET him. The seller took forever and he came to me banged up and a huge mess. I tried to clean him up, get him new wigs, eyes, etc.. But I still couldn't like him as much as I wanted. With him being a limited near fullset (no wig or original faceup), I knew he'd still be very wanted. I sold him to a very dear couple who redid him and made him in to something I never could. I fulfilled their dream by selling them a doll they'd wanted since they got in to the hobby, as he was limited just a bit before they got in to dolls. I know he's loved and taken care of there. If he'd stayed with me? He'd be rotting on the back of my shelf or even a box.

I completely understand every reason for people to sell. Plus, a lot of the time, the doll goes to a good home and has a new life, which the old owner couldn't give or was uninspired / unbonded with the doll. Everyone has their own reason, I don't think it should affect anyone's view of the seller! ;)

10. My first (and only) doll is up for sale. I've come to terms with the fact that he's not the right size for me, even if I LOVE LOVE LOVE his face and I've never seen another headmold that I loved more. If only there was a way to shrink him to MSD size :(

But what made me decide to sell him NOW? Well, I will probably have to move to a new residence so I've started selling things I don't need or want anymore so I can lighten the load on moving day. Yeah, he fell victim to a moving sale ._.

11. I have sold dolls because they frustrate the heck out of me or because they didn't turn out the way I thought they would. I used to buy projects. I would buy a head then search for a cheap body. Then when I put head and body together...I would get disappointed or I would buy a body and because it would flop over, wouldn't hold poses ect I just didn't want it anymore. I would keep them around until I really needed money though. Try to bond and try to enjoy the doll for what it was but the frustration and disappointment just wouldn't leave so I thought better to trade or sell it and use the money for something I really need.

As for buying from the marketplace I don't feel bad or awkward about because it gives me the opportunity to own a doll I would hardly have had a chance to own in the first place. It cuts down on shipping costs when I buy from someone in the US and often(as long as it's not a limited) I'm able to buy the doll cheaper and a lot of times the sellers on the marketplace are really nice and send extras with the doll such as an outfit or wig they no longer need.

12. Some people have to sell to pay bills of some sort or another. I really feel for these. They are having to part with their babies, not because they want to, but because they have too.

13. for me ... one reason that I sell some of my dolls is ... needing money ><
      I really don't want to sell any of my dolls but somehow I have some money problem, especially last year - i bought i house by bank loan so i need money to pay. :)

or ..... I want the new dolls and i cannot spend anymore money so I have to sell some out to buy the new one.

14. I've sold dolls recently as I'd been away from the hobby for a while and on returning I realised that my reasons, likes/dislikes for collecting had changed.

15. I collect bjds, but I don't see them as collectors items to have like I see my collector's Barbies. I like to have a certain bond with them, and if that doesn't happen I sell them. I'd rather the dolls go to a person who'd love to have them, than keep them with me where they'll be unappreciated.

16. I like to rescue from people like that. Usually from people who post this:

"He\She has been in their box for about six months\two years\practically since I got them"

Because it breaks my heart to think there's a doll that has been SITTING IN A BOX IN A CLOSET not being loved. They must think something is wrong with them! I'm broken or dirty or junk! Oh Lord my credit card\checking account weeps for a little bit but I have to rescue that poor baby face when I see this: :( Because I'm a sucker for a pouty face that's been in a closet.

Since it's usually them that gets relegated to that spot...for some reason the cute ones are on shelves and scooped up faster.

I've only ever sold two heads and two dolls. The heads were because one was a promotion and I wasn't into SDs at the time, and the other was when I needed a Bluefairy body and the head came with it. It went fairly quickly to someone who had been looking for a Tommy "forever". So it worked out.

The girls, were tinies. I had bought Lily on a whim when I was new. I bought Crystal because I fell in love with her and rescued her because I kept coming back and she was still there. I kept saying 'if she's there when I come back from [insert task here] I'll buy her'. I did that for a week. And she was still there.

I tried everything to bond with them, including building them a house with carpet, wallpaper, wood panelling, and a ceiling fan. It just didn't work out. I wasn't feeling it. I wasn't theirs. So I put them up and was very afraid they would be split up. I prayed they wouldn't be, since Lily went through that before. I had had them for two and a half years and I didn't want to do that to them.

I sold them to a member here as a set. They live in a tiny farm. I say that because the house they went to was filled with tinies. A PERFECT PLACE for them. I'll probably never own another tiny again. Not that size at least. The tiniest tinies are just not for me. I tried for two and a half years and did everything from clothing to house building. I think I gave my all in bonding. :3

Sometimes, no matter your best intentions, dolls just do not belong to you. Your heart and theirs do not resonate with the same chord.

17. I don't really care why people sell. They have their reasons.
      The only thing that I find odd is when people got their doll out of the box for 3 minutes and then already put it up for sale (or decide this when it hasn't even arrived yet) because they found another doll they want... (not because of financial issues)
      While it is still their choice and I'm not going to bug them with it, I just find it a little odd...
      I would understand if the new doll they want is limited and they would seriously regret it if they wouldn't buy it.

18. I've been in the hobby for about 4 years and have bought and sold lots of dolls. There are several reasons why I might sell a doll. One simple reason could be that I have become bored with that doll and fancy another instead, so I'll sell it to buy the other one. Another reason may be that the particular doll is not getting any attention and although I think she/he might be a nice doll, what is the point of keeping it as an expensive dust collector, when there might be someone out there that would really like it and give it the attention it deserves.
      The problem with this hobby is that in the main, we do not see the doll in 'real life' until the minute we open the box when they arrive. We've seen beautiful, professionally photographed promotional photos of the dolls by the companies selling them but we can't just walk into a store, pick up the dolls, look at them, see what we like and perhaps dislike about them before we part with quite a lot of our hard earned money, so naturally, even with loads of research of owner photos, the doll may not quite excite us on its arrival as we thought it would do.
      There are so many reasons why people sell their dolls, mine are just a few of them. At the end of the day although they are lovely little works of art, sometimes peoples circumstances change and they sell because they really need the money, full stop!!!

19. I've sold dolls because I don't make enough money to just have something sitting around on a shelf because it's only adequate to me. For me, a doll HAS to be one that I'm in love with and want to keep around. The doll isn't what I'm looking for? I sell it. The face is great, but the body doesn't pose right? I sell the body and get a new one for it. If a doll is going to be this expensive, I'm going to strive for it to be perfect for me so it's well worth having around.

I think a lot of people see others who buy and sell dolls more often than them and think they're just going to constantly keep doing this. And while they might, sometimes it's just because others are more picky or have different tastes than yourself. I've sold quite a few dolls and am selling some right now, but I have acquired a few that I would never sell. This is what I'm trying to get my whole collection to be like, and I'll keep selling whoever I have to to get it there!

20. If you hit some money trouble, didn't bond, fell out of love, want to reshell, want scale down, or need to get money fast for an awesome LE you want, I don't have any issue with a doll being sold.

Personally, the dolls I sold fell under two categories; I was falling out of love and and suddenly wanted to get an time limited LE, Soom Appini.

Amazingly, both dolls were bought from me to be used as gifts to friends of the buyer, and are being loved beyond what I had given them. The only other one things I've sold is a floating head I impulsively bought and later wished I hadn't, and a faceplate I was orginally going to put on a LTF, right about when Appini came out, who was better suited for my wants.