1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Why the huge irises?!

May 16, 2010

?
  1. Smaller irises with more white are preferable to me.

2. I like the iris big, and the white doesn't matter so much.

3. It depends on the doll.

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
    1. I agree there is a tendancy for companies to use big eyes, I see a lot of owners who automatically go down a size. When my zaoll arrived her eyes only showed the tiniest bit of white no matter how I positioned them but now I've gone down a couple of mm she looks much more alive and realistic. The big dark alien eyes were kinda cool but not what I wanted for her.

I wish there was more variety in pupil sizes, though. they all seem much the same and bigger or smaller pupils can really convey different feelings.

2. I say it depends on the doll. For the most part I like "normal" sized eyes or what appears to be normal / proportionate for the doll's head/face. However, none of my dolls are "human" or supposed to be human and I have one doll that lives in solemn so her eyes are really big, hardly any whites show on the size and I think it helps the look of the character.

3. Depending on the mold or "species" of the doll I like to have larger irises, but with the regulars, I generally prefer smaller irises as it gives them a better range of expression.

4. I say it depends on the doll.

Like how my (now ex)Ryun looked great with the smaller-than-recommended 14mm eyes and my Junior girl has no less than 16mm because I specifically wanted her to have Shrek's kitty look. :)

It's all preference, really. I like to have the majority of my dolls look more doll-ish than alive but that's just my cup of tea in my little corner of the universe. xDD

5. I orginally wanted 12 mm instead of 14 mm in my girl (zaoll luv)
      but when I got her I got a pair of gift eyes in 14 mm and I just love them (I didn't at first since the iris is too big for my taste) but it has grown on me and now I love them in her If I would com across the exact pair in 12 mm that would be awesome but It doesn't even matter to me anymore it fits her character of being a half demon. It's not like I look for a new pair.

6. I think it just depends of the doll and the type of character you want for it.

If the character is a cute boy/girl, I think great irises and less white part would fit better, while if you want a more mature or adult character, a more realistic eye (it is: more white and more or less little iris) would give to he/she a very intense look : )

7. I generally go for as small as I can with eyes. Both of my iplehouse msds get 10mm oval eyes that are honestly close to gapping but I don't like them in 12mm because they still look too big to me. I almost always go down at least one size from recommended.

8. Ahhhh, the ever present big eyes/small eyes thing. XD I will try to remember what I said in the last two threads just like this.

I have dolls with different eye 'shapes's. Most of them have fairly narrow, fox-like eyes, and big irises just eat that up, it gives them that fish-eyed flat look. Bugs the crap out of me, even in light coloured eyes. Most of my MSD guys wear 14mm, it seems to give me the perfect balance of iris-to-white to make them look good. I have other dolls who have not only really big eyes, but they have a character that requires and 'other world' type of expression. In said dolls I prefer an eye that takes up the whole space, or very close too it. Preferably without any sort of pupil, as it aids that 'other' sort of gaze.

So eyes for me are entirely dependant on the doll, but for the most part, since most of my guys are narrow eyed, I like the more 'life-like' look of smaller eyes.

9. Oh, I didn't see any other threads like this so I started my own. If you can at all remember where they are I'd like to read them.

10. This is exactly what I was going to say. ^_^

11. I voted "depends of the doll". Children have larger irises, so for child dolls I'd usually go for the cute huge iris look. Also, huge irises are quite general for the manga look and within that genre it's usually the narrow eyed bad guys that have more eyewhite showing. But for many more realistic sculpts small or realistic iris size works the best and huge irises can give a bit of a demonic appearance - which then again, is desirable for certain characters. As said, depends of the doll in question. ;)

12. It depends on the doll. On some people's dolls, big irises works. I imagine my dolls with smaller irises. Maybe it's because I'm not hugely into anime? Who knows! But I really think it depends on the doll.

13. I agree-- some of the darker colored eyes with overly gi-normous irises almost look black like classic alien eyes to me. xDDD But some of the dolls with bigger eyes in their sculpt would perhaps fit better with eyes with larger irises, depending on what kind of character/personality your doll has. :)

Personally, I have a rule of thumb now that the doll's schleras must be visible. xD I'd prefer dolls that have more realistically-like eye proportions to their sculpts, however, sometimes I'll buy larger irises to make them look cuter or more loving.

14. Definitely depends on the look I'm going for. More white tends to give a more mature look generally. When I want my Ani boy to look sweet and childish he gets eyes that have larger irises and such, when I want him less cutesy he gets more whites showing. S'fun to have abit of both to switch it around now and then.

15. My two Dollfie Dreams look FUNKY if they have "human" like eyes in them. They really do need the Animetics. Namiko's eyes are so big you really don't see any white...and it's right...for HER. Yumiko wears variations on the stock Animetics she was shipped with originally...Volks type H (no jokes pls) in "Apricot" for normal, and two extra pair in red and blue for cosplay. Zetto has more "normal" looking eyes, which fits him because he's an Obitsu boy with a more "normal" sculpted head.

I like "Anime" aesthetic dolls, though. It's just the way I roll. When I get an Obitsu 50cm girl and make my "ghost girl" doll she'll likely either have Volks Animetics or someone else's eyes along the same lines. The 50cm default head is very Dollfie Dream-like: big eye sockets, small nose, small mouth.

16. I prefer realistic eyes for my crew so super huge irises wouldn't be a feature here. But like others have said, it's all depends on the individual doll and what your own personal preference is.

17. It does completely depend on the individual doll and the look you want for him/her. Larger irises tend to make the doll look younger. So if you are going for a realistic, older or mature adult look, go for the smaller irises. But younger dolls can look cute with the larger irises. I personally prefer a more natural look in my doll eyes, so I tend to replace eyes with ones that are realistically proportioned. But for fantasy dolls- do whatever you want!

18. Hm. I would love to see how smaller eyes would look on my boy (he uses 14mm right now), but I find that the size he has suits him. He's a Dollmore Kid too... I think that they're smaller 14mm though, like not exactly 12s but.. Smaller looking. I find they suit him very well... And maybe a smaller size might make him looked really shocked, because even now at certain angles he can look pretty scared.
      But I would like to see how 12mm would look in him.
      It's all in personal preference for the eyes too, if you want your doll to look younger or more mature. I prefer a little younger-looking, but not like very childlike in appearance. I'm one of those weird in-between people :P

19. I know I'm particularly odd, as I love the large irises and would prefer black sclera to white. Mind you, I'm swapping those out for regular eyes right now, because it doesn't suit her story, but I am going to have a use for them again someday! WOOHOO!

The trick is you have to paint the insides of the eyes black a little. That way the makeup blends into the eye and it's really pretty.