1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Why the huge irises?!

May 16, 2010

?
  1. Smaller irises with more white are preferable to me.

2. I like the iris big, and the white doesn't matter so much.

3. It depends on the doll.

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
    1. Demons, anime princesses and magic spirits are absolutely not my type - I like realistic dolls, so vote for the first point. ;)
      My Elfdoll girls (Emma and Vivien) wear 13mm Eyeco and Masterpiece with bigger white, my Sabik uses 11mm, so do my IOS Gin (while it is rather "anime style" mold), so I think it depends mostly on the image you want for your doll. Smaller irises makes a doll more realistic, creates common, unaffected look. But if it's needed to make some mysterios gaze - huge irises will be ok. :lol:
      Still I prefer smaller irises and here is my argument: :lol:

[​IMG]

14mm is surely a doll (just a usual Sabik) when 11mm is my handsome dearest Jamie. :aheartbea

2. I think it really depends on the doll. My first doll looked a lot better with smaller iris eyes, but some heads are really good looking in larger irises and less of the white showing. So it really does depend.

3. i used to think the large eyes and large irises look...too fake. but after a while i think it really just depends on the doll. certain sculpts look better with the smaller irises eg migidoll, while others look better with large eyes like cp soony. but the way you position the eyes matter too. for eyes that are too large, what i do is i tilt them such that the doll looks like he's always looking to the right or to the left. this is sort of a compromise for large eyes and still showing enough eye white lol.

4. Inala, I really love the look of the smaller eyes. Your argument is very convincing.

5. I like the white (sclera) to be clearly showing on my more realistic looking resin BJD's. My Dollfie Dreams are a diffrent matter but even then I like some white showing. I agree that many of the eyes you get for BJD's have far too large an iris and just looks weird to me and doesn't look right on a sculpt that isn't particularly anime looking. I found it very difficult to find the right sized eyes for my soom teenie gems. Often a BJD company will recommend an eye size that is too large for a particular sculpt. It does vary though from company to company, even the pupils can be overly large with some eyes, it is rather frustrating.

6. I agree with you about the big iris problem. With my girl, I want her to have small irises, but it depends on the doll. She should probably be wearing 12 mm but I have some 10 mm eyes with small irises that work pretty well and look very natural for her.

7. I do agree that BJDs tend to have larger than normal irises, but I don't mind as I think it makes them look like, well, dolls! I do like seeing others put eyes with smaller irises in their dolls though; they do look more realistic.

8. I agree in the sense that I like my dolls to look, doll-like. Small iris's look great in dolls meant to be realistic. But I don't really want realism for mine. Too realistic and I start to wonder if they actually stay in their box at night.

9. I prefer realism in my dolls, and since most are teen or adult guys, they look weird with huge irises. I don't mind it as much in my girls and children, but even my Minifee is wearing 12mm eyes when she came with 16mm because the lack of sclera showing bothers me. I think the huge irises look best in anime styled dolls, but some companies send eyes too big in all sculpts. I've even received one or two with eyes so large that you literally could not see ANY white. That looks animalistic to me, and since all of my dolls are human, that's a huge no-go.

10. It really depends on the doll for me. If I had more realistic dolls, I would probably prefer them to have more realistic eyes. But my more stylized dolls or dolls with larger eye openings seem made to have larger irises, at least for my taste.

11. I like small irises better ! Which makes it hard to find the right size and the right pair of eyes for my dolls, I really don't like huge irises (it makes the doll inexpressive to me) but I don't like spending a whole lot of money on eyes either.

12. I think a lot of people in this thread don't like the smaller eyes because they don't look loving, but I find that people with darker coloured eyes seem to look kinder because you can't tell the difference between pupil and iris. I personally way prefer the style of smaller eyes since I like realistic sculptures more.
      Another idea is to just make or buy eyes with blown up pupils but small irises, which I might try! I always thought smaller irises added incredibly much to a faceup.

13. It really depends on the doll. For dolls with big eye holes, like MNFs, big irises look really good. But then there's dolls like Souldoll Joelle that have tiny little slits for eyes and small irises are the only thing that makes sense. And then what about dolls like MerryDollRound Mousse? She has 4 mm eyes, so verrrry tiny eye holes. It's hard to find eyes in general of that size. :XD:

14. I'm also on the 'it depends on the doll' side. I usually prefer small irises, but I have for example an MSD boy, who is supposed to appear innocent and that effect is not only supported by a face-up, but also by big eyes.
      Most of my semi-realistic dolls do have small irises if somehow possible. :3

15. I agree with most of the thread that both big & small irises can work depending on the doll! I tend to be drawn to large irises because they look so gentle, I absolutely adore the effect.

16. I don't consider large irises a problem because it's simple enough just to buy a different pair of eyes in a smaller size. Personally, I don't care for very realistic dolls, and while I don't have any outright "anime" style dolls in my collection, I definitely gravitate toward more stylized sculpts. So I like eyes that don't feel uncannily human.

I admit, it is a bit of a problem as I prefer dolls with somehow "half closed" eyes (such as my Napidoll Aesh in my avatar), so it can be tricky finding eyes that can actually be seen while not being overly small and realistic.

17. Does anyone know what the smallest eye size that IOS's Chaos and Jaguar can wear without a gap? I've searched for a particular eye for a while now, but there's no "Smaller Iris" versions or anything.

18. I think it all depends on the doll and the look you are wanting. Real as can be or more anime or what? I tend to like the look of more real eyes as most of my bjds are IPs and not the style to have the more cartoon or fantasy look to them.

19. I used to strongly prefer not only huge irises, but huge pupils as well. Over the years, I've learned there's a downside to photographing bigs eyes. Especially if the irises are dark-- they can easily become blobs of shadow. That said, I'm with most of the recent replies in this thread: the size depends mainly on what suits the character of the sculpt.

20. I love the smaller iris eyes, since I have a lot of heads with narrow/ half closed eyes. But honestly it depends on the sculpt and eyewells.

Honestly I love all kinds of eyes and are always asking my friends which brand they prefer. lol