1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Wiping a Limited Face Up

Jan 19, 2010

1. I have a Volks Ruby coming home soon and I plan on wiping her face up because I don't like the one she came with. I know that there are face ups that are limited like Cyber Bohemian Shiwoo and if his face up was wiped he'd be a regular Shiwoo. But I'm talking about the actual limited heads being wiped.

How do you feel about people wiping the faceup of a limited doll?

Do you feel that the value of the doll drops because it doesn't have the orginal face up?

Also, would you buy a limited doll without the orginal face up, or is the actual limited head more important?

2. How do you feel about people wiping the faceup of a limited doll?

Doesn't matter to me. Their money, their choice.

Do you feel that the value of the doll drops because it doesn't have the original face up?

Actually, I've seen the value go up, particularly with Soom MDs with unpopular face-ups. I wiped the default face-up off my Glati and haven't regretted it. His new face-up is much more in character.

Also, would you buy a limited doll without the orginal face up, or is the actual limited head more important?

The limited face-up would be nice, but I'd be just as happy to get the blank head.

3. I guess it depends on which doll (your Art Delf for example), I tend to liek non-default faceups, that's where a lot of the great creativity and diversity comes from, from people NOT keeping their dolls default. As to value? Personally (and it will vary from person to person) I don't like a lot of default faceups for older volks dolls. Not naming any in particular but those early faceups don't do anything for me and i'd pay for for a faceup that i find more aesthetically pleasing. The value of the doll does not drop *FOR ME* w/ a non-default if i like the new faceup more. I have a few LE dolls (LE sculpts, not LE faceups on non-LE dolls) that i've replaced the faceups on, so i guess i feel pretty good about it.

in the end a limited sculpt is what keeps it's value, a faceup can get worn or faded over time anway so to me it's less important .

4. Congrats on getting a Volks Ruby. I have one and she is my favorite doll. I just love that sculpt and her skin tone is stunning. Speaking to Ruby specifically, I honestly do not think her default face-up was all that well loved any way. Many people (such as myself) actually perfer Ruby with a non-default face-up. I think you may be able to increase her value with the right face-up. If she were a one-off I would advise against it however....

5. How do you feel about people wiping the faceup of a limited doll?
      I think some of them are very special (like the Heliot faceup, omg that was amazing XD ) But a lot of "limited edition faceups" are just.... natural normal looking faceups.... so I don't think those are that special.

Do you feel that the value of the doll drops because it doesn't have the orginal face up?
      Yes, probably, because there was a special artist who was doing a special kind of faceup that might not be done again (though someone probably could replicate it...)

THE LIMITED HEAD IS WAYYYY MORE IMPORTANT!!!!!!111 Talented artists can re-create limited faceups, (though some might not because they could consider it copying) but it's illegal to re-create a limited head, and it's, well LIMITED, and way more valuable than a faceup!!!!

6. Interesting to see this discussion, because today I sent a limited doll off for a new faceup! I don't care about "re-sale" value, she is my doll and I know the artist is going to make her into something WAY more beautiful than she is now--not that I didn't love her as she was, but I know how much better she can be. I am happy with my decision, even though there may be others who would faint at the idea of changing her.

7. How do you feel about people wiping the faceup of a limited doll?
      Well...I like to do my own face-ups. I really enjoy doing so, even if they aren't great right now. If I wanted a doll I'd check for a basic version first that's the exact same sculpt that I could order blank. If the sculpt itself is limited, and I can't get that exact sculpt in a basic doll, and I could afford it, then I'd see if I could order it blank. If not, then yes, I'd buy it and wipe it when I had time to do a face-up myself. I wouldn't think twice about doing so, as doing the faces on my dolls myself is a big part of the fun for me. So I obviously don't mind if someone else wipes the limited face, or the face of a limited sculpt.

In most cases, the value probably goes down, or stays the same. *shrugs* Doesn't bother me one bit, either.

I'd buy a blank limited head in a heartbeat if it were one that I wanted. Saves me the trouble of having to wipe it myself. For me, it's all about the sculpt.

8. How do you feel about people wiping the faceup of a limited doll?
      It's their doll, not mine. ^^

Do you feel that the value of the doll drops because it doesn't have the original face up?
      I think it would considering you generally pay more for the faceup anyway, so it without that would drop it. But, I don't think the value would drop too much.

Also, would you buy a limited doll without the original face up, or is the actual limited head more important?
      I would be more inclined to purchase a limited doll without the faceup than with it. I agree with Jolarocknrolla. I like more original faceups as in unique than 'stock' faceups. I loved the Soom Afi faceup but didn't end up getting it because anyone and everyone who ordered the faceup on their Afi would have the same exact one. So having just the limited head leaves so many more options to go with.

9. How do you feel about people wiping the faceup of a limited doll?

I don't care, really, but I hate to see a limited doll with an adequate default faceup replaced by one that appears to have been done with Sharpies. Interesting, well done replacement faceups are wonderful.

I think it depends on the doll and the potential buyer. Some people want original faceups, and some don't care. If the faceup is the sole factor that made the doll limited, then I think most buyers would want the original look intact.

Also, would you buy a limited doll without the original face up, or is the actual limited head more important?

A limited head sculpt is more important to me. If I can't or don't want to paint it myself, there are many fabulous customizers who can make the doll better than the original.

10. How do you feel about people wiping the faceup of a limited doll?
      It is completely fine with me!

Maybe if the doll is a fullset with clothes and such..
      But personally, if I would have a doll with original face-up and I don't like it, I would remove it too. I don't care about the marketvalue. The only thing I care about is my loving my dolls. If I don't like the face-up, it needs to be changed.

To me, the head itself is way more important. I want to buy a secondhand bery and cuprit head somewhere in summer this year. I'd prefer them to come without face-up, since I like to do the face-ups myself to turn the doll into the character I have in mind. An original face-up has no value for me.

11. How I feel about it depends on whether it's the doll that's limited, or the faceup. If it's the faceup itself that's limited, and nothing else about the doll is, I cringe when I see it wiped. I can't help but think "why not just buy the standard one?" but I wouldn't say anything to the owner, it's totally their business. If the doll or something about the doll is limited, then I have less qualms about the faceup being wiped. If the only way you can get a WS Dollmore (for example) is to get the limited, but the faceup's not what you need, I totally understand wiping it. Though I may still cringe a bit.

But in the long run it's none of my business. The owner paid for it, they can do what they want with it.

If the doll was limited but the faceup was wiped, yes I might still buy that doll. I would expect the price to be lower since the faceup was changed (unless it was replaced with an awesome artist's faceup). Any doll blank is going to be worth a bit less than one with a good-condition default faceup, just in general, though I personally usually prefer a blank one. If I needed a limited doll but didn't like the default I would actually look for one that had already been wiped, if possible.

12. How do you feel about people wiping the faceup of a limited doll?

Wiping is each owner's choice, just as someone giving a sculpt you may like a (in your PERSONAL opinion) a not pretty faceup, it is their doll. I think you should not feel bad to have private doubts as long as you express yourself politely to that person.

I do think however, that if someone had, say a limited Peakswoods Val Zeitler (Young Marie) Sky that it would be sweet if they attempted to trade her for a normal head before wiping her. Same with a Soom MD that had their original face-up. Even if it isn't a limited sculpt someone may want that faceup and be willing to offer you a blank or normal head and money. So I think that it could be a great kindness to someone to try to trade it first.

I think it depends on the doll. I know that on certain dolls I would greatly prefer the limited faceup and would go for a doll with that faceup before going for the blank or new faceup one if given the option. Just thoughts from a buyer's perspective.

As with Soom MDs I think that maybe they shouldn't charge as much if the doll doesn't have the faceup but people will still pay through the roof so having the face-up doesn't seem to raise the value for the dolls I buy.

I have twice considered buying a doll with just limited make-up (Peakswoods Bitten Goldie and Iplehouse Astrologer Yur) and turned both down in favor of getting limited sculpts (Soom Cuprit and Amber). So I think that sculpt is what matters most, a variety of faceups can look good is the doll has a nice face mold.

13. Its your doll and you can do whatever you want with it. I've seen some limiteds go up in price because the new face up was done by a famous face up artists. For example, a Volks Okita by Avvelenato head sold over a year ago on Yahoo Japan for $5000 and Robin's Egg face ups can go pretty high as well.

14. Personally, since I prefer to do my own faceups, I try to get dolls blank whenever I can. If for some reason I could only get a doll with a limited faceup, I'd prefer to try to find someone with an already-blank head to trade with so that the artist's hard work can go to someone who will appreciate it.

15. All questions of resale value aside... the truth of the matter is that no face-up, Limited or otherwise, is going to last forever. That's just a consquence of the medium. Eventually they'll fade, or chip or rub in places and will have to be replaced. The way I see it, the sculpt is the important thing when it comes to lasting value. The face-up is an investment with a much more limited life-span.

Given that, I don't think there's much point in assigning any kind of permanent value or special status to them. Even a Robin's Egg face-up, as beautiful and expensive as it may be, isn't forever... So you might as well get one that you like and not worry over rather or not it's the "full-set original".

16. How do you feel about people wiping the faceup of a limited doll?

I say it is a case by case basis, so I am going to look at this from my current situation. I have a limited head sculpt doll that I got new from Volks (a Luna to be exact) and I am thinking of wiping her default face up. She has everything still intact, no damage (save for a small smudge in the blushing by her ear towards her head cap). She even has her original eyes still glued in. I am really torn on what to do. The faceup would be done by a wonderful and talented artist, so I know the quailty would be just as good as her default, if not better. The thing is, the volks faceup is really beautiful. That is the reason I haven't wiped it yet. I just want my Luna to look different than she does now, I want to play with her look.

I know that for Luna, there are people that want her default with the eyes still glued in. So, yes, the value of her might go down. In fact, Luna is limited enough that I think if the face up was not up to par with certain peoples ideals, a few might get angry. However, I choose my artist carefully and I know her work be just as high quality if not better than Volks, so maybe it increase the value? I don't know. Some people might just want her enough that they do not care how they get her. It really does depend on the doll I think.

The head/sculpt is more important to me.

17. How do you feel about people wiping the faceup of a limited doll?
      basically I feel that the owner of an LE doll can do whatever they like with their own doll. On a personal level, I wouldn't do it myself. Part of my decision making before buying would be to ensure that I was happy with the original faceup. If I wanted a particular look for a doll then I'd buy an extra head to have the new faceup put on.

yes I think that it can affect the resale value.

personally I'd never buy an LE doll that's had the original faceup removed unless it was being sold at a great price or the sculpt was a limited or one off release (and I'd missed out the first time round).

18. How do you feel about people wiping the faceup of a limited doll?
      I don't see a problem, personally or in the "the owner can do whatever" sense. It doesn't change the fact that this sculpt is still limited.

Not...entirely. I mean, the value of a doll does tend to vary depending on if it has a faceup or not, but I don't think it drops because it's not the original faceup. I mean, I would sell my SOOM Chrom head for the same price as a Chrom with a default faceup, if not more, because she does have a faceup. (Maybe she's not the best example, as she would be sold for a lot more due to the fact that she's also been blush-matched to Impldoll RealSkin, but anyway).

Unless the factory faceup blows me out of the water, I would most likely go out of my way to find a blank head, simply because if I don't care that much for the face, the head will be going in an Oxyclean bath as soon as it's feasible.

19. How do you feel about people wiping the faceup of a limited doll?
      I've done this a few times myself, since I really hate the default faceup on certain of my Limited Volks guys: my Emma and Shiro Tachibana were wiped and sent to Lynsey last year and she did a great job with them. In the same way, I've always disliked Black Cat Lucas' default faceup so as soon as I bought one here on the marketplace recently I sent him off within a few days of his arrival to have his current default wiped and replaced - I'm currently looking forward to getting him back with a faceup that's much more to my liking... and why not, after all? I paid the money for each of my guys, and they're mine to do with as I please until I get them exactly to my taste.

Sometimes I might feel that it's a shame that people wipe a particularly nice faceup to replace it with one of (what I personally think is) lesser quality... but in the end I can wince and have whatever opinion I like, but if the owner if happy with their doll once they've changed it then that's the main thing and kudos to them :)

I wouldn't say so, especially if the replacement faceup has been done by a popular and well-known artist whose work fetches a high price on its own... in fact, I've seen more than a few limiteds of various types with their default faceups wiped and replaced by faceups from highly sought-after artists go for much more than the same doll with the default faceup would go for in the marketplace at the same time.

Faceups, no matter how nice they were and no matter how much we might wish otherwise, are always going to be a temporary thing in the long run... I've bought limited dolls with faceups from other DoA artists and also as blank dolls with all traces of any faceup wiped, and it's never been a consideration for me. More than anything, the head sculpt itself is what I care about since that's what will last long after even the most carefully-maintained faceup is gone.

20. How do you feel about people wiping the faceup of a limited doll?
      I feel just fine about it since it's their doll to do with as they please. If a default isn't doing it for you, there's no law saying it must stay the same.

In no way have I seen a doll lose it's value from getting a face-up done to it...in many many cases, I've seen the value go way up due to the face-up artist being a bit difficult to obtain services from or if the face-up is just gorgeous, the sculpt is indeed what usually seems to drive the buyer to put down money.

Absolutely I would! I've seen way too many dolls with a fantastic face-up that is difficult to say "no" to. I love many defaults as well but there are some dolls that go on sale that are too incredible to pass up default or not! Or if the sculpt I've been searching for with either no face-up, a default or with a face-up that is so-so finally becomes available, I would most likely jump at the chance especially if it's one I've had a difficult time obtaining. Not even a moments thought of trying unless I just can't afford said sculpt at the time.