1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Would anyone buy a talking doll?

Jan 10, 2009

1. :lol: If it's any consolation, that thing gave me nightmares too when I was still young and impressionable.

Back on topic, there's also always the chance it'd freak out the mundanes even more - our hobby is pretty strange as it is, and I don't know how some of them would take a talking doll! I can imagine not well, if at all, and I'd hate to have some idiot do something stupid just because the vocal mechanism went off at the wrong place and time. :o

2. It could be ok for me, but it'd depend on the voices available, the phrases available, the interaction allowed and basically a whole lot of relatively small details that add up.

I'm not inherently repulsed by it anyway, so I guess that's something. $150 for the mod sounds cheap though.

3. I really love that idea. I used to have a talking Barbie and I was just thrilled with her. I'd be over the moon for a talking bjd!

4. I have heard that sometimes BJDs will move on their own because of the tension, right?
      Could you imagine what would happen if one were to move and talk on its own at the same time? A doll who's head snaps around at just the right time at a passer-by and says something to them would certainly make a person near soil themselves, especially if eye contact was made.:lol:

5. I am not sure- that is very interesting but what would the "talking" sound like?
      I would not want my dolls to talk like me.... though it is still very interesting.. the faces people would make might be fun to see too >.<

6. I find the idea interesting, but I would not be something for me.

7. No. It's too gimmicky for me and reminds me of those babydolls that constantly say "mommy" to you. If Lord Alikaj would adress me as "mommy" I'd throw him out of the house.

8. Fantastic thought. It's not really up my alley though. My girl has her own individual "voice" and I plan to keep it that way. :)

9. I wouldnt want her to actually talk...a Little sigh now and then would be really cute though :)

10. I don't really see BJDs as toys and I think that having a talking one would make it feel more like a toy. Instead of it being more realistic I think it would make BJDs look more like a lifeless robot. That being said, I still think it's an interesting idea and I'd still like to see it, but it would not be something that I'd like to live with everyday.

11. Ehhh, no.

That would throw my dolls into the Uncanny Valley and they would frighten me.

I like them as dolls. Quiet and not-moving.

12. I think the only way I'd be tempted to have this done to my dolls is if you could guarantee that they have voices that fit their character perfectly. Since all of my dolls are based on original characters, I imagine them having a certain voice when they speak and my DoI Dieter even has a slight german accent too :sweat

Although the whole idea of a talking doll does bring back memories of a baby doll I used to have when I was little. Yeaaah... one of those ones that cried 'mommy~!' if I squeezed its chest. It ended up sounding like a tenor with a cold when the batteries went flat.

13. ...I may be struck with the sudden urge to drop-kick a talking bjd across the room. *shudder*

However, I do think it's an interesting direction to take and I'd be curious how that turns out.

(Lol, what if unoa ecstasy face-plate could actually moan? ;))

14. While that is a...FASCINATING idea, I think it would creepy me out a little too much.

That is, if my dolls just started talking to me. And, I think I'd rather have one doll with a large script, rather than multiple dolls with small skripts.

15. I like the sounds a bjd makes -the creaks and all. Random sighs might be fun.
      Talking might be cool if the doll could "learn" but if you are thinking of something like a clearly artificial voice and a few phrases-no.
      Which bjd had the beating heart option? I always wonder how that went over.

16. wow... that is very interesting! O_O im in awe.
      Should this be a serious consideration, it will really depend on:
      1. Voice - are there options to what kind of voice to put in the doll?
      2. Overview of how broad or limited the vocabulary will be - ie. 200 different answers + 20 different sound effects like sighs, gasps and such.
      3. When you say the doll can only talk to its owner... you mean... voice recognition software?? This is what intrigues me most! That would be awesome that the doll only responds to you alone.

Actual purchase will depend on the details. But ... it is definitely something worth considering.
      I'm curious about this and would like more details. :3

-Anj

17. That is an interesting idea, but one of the reasons I like talking to my doll, is because they don't talk back. Too creepy. :sweat

18. I would rather have it speak to me only with a larger script, though if there were to be some kind of learning software that was small enough to put into the doll you could have it learn more word through conversation. But the idea of having them speak at all is pretty amaizing!

19. I don't like the idea of a talking doll at all. However, I think one person and a larger script would be better than lots of people and a smaller script.

20. If can communicate that would be awesome but if just randomly talked that would be annoying!i would love to buy that!but I wuold like to see it in action first when done programing your doll or whatever plz make a video and post it on youtube I would love to see it!:fangirl: