1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Would anyone buy a talking doll?

Jan 10, 2009

1. That is very interesting. I'd like to see a video of it in action, though O.o;
      However, I personally wouldn't want to have a recorded voice for my darlings. They both have voices of their own that I hear in my head and I'm not sure I could find someone to re-create them. O.o;

2. @Enzyme, what is this heart-beat thing? I'm not very familiar with Souldoll.

3. For me, quiet is better.

4. Tsuki, It was an optional feature SoulDoll came up with, back
      when they released their 58-63cm-ish double-jointed dolls,
      and discontinued their old 60cm dolls.

I don't believe they have this option anymore, but they used to include
      (in the head-cap I think?) a battery operated gadget/sound-box,
      that played a heartbeat sound. I thought it was neat and would
      have loved to own one, but I already own the only SoulDoll
      human-boy body I'll ever own. ^________^ I don't know if anyone actually
      got one?

Again, I think this is very similar, only a lot more elaborate -- it probably
      doesn't creep people out, as much as a doll with a heartbeat would. XD

- Enzyme ^.^

5. Goodness! That would have scared me out of my wits! (I've a phobia of the heart-beat).

6. No talking and sighing would be great and would get that if it came on the market. What about snoring? Sun goes down and snoring kicks in. :lol:

7. I don't know why, but it suddenly occurred to me how that could become the most annoying thing in the world if you lived in Alaska or a similar area, where the sun doesn't rise for weeks at a time. :D

8. Hmmm, an interesting concept, but I don't think I would personally wish to have a doll that talked.

9. It sounds more like were going back to the dolls you have when you were younger that talks. I dont think it fits these kind of dolls.

10. My answers to the questions-

1- What ever we record can be the voice. Anything from (no insult is being made) your mom, to the cat. For me both are doing voice talent, my mum because she's fluent in German and sounds like a few screws are loose, and the cat...well he's marvelous at complaining

2-Everything depends on the responses and how much space they take up in the memory, and both sounds and talking are included in this. However since we're not at that stage yet I honestly don't know how many we could fit. I have looked it up but every thing just says basically "depending on how much memory". For that answer I'm sorry to say I just don't know. Yet.

3- Yes it is voice recognition software. And yes it does only respond to me.

However to all the people who are and will ask we're not quite ready to actually do a youtube vid. When we do however, I'll be sure to let every one know.

11. I like the idea, but could you elaborate on the thought?

12. I would have to give a flat out no for this one. It reminds me way too much of old-school baby dolls which are cool for some but personally not for me on my resin boys. Not only that, but I'm constantly rethinking and cultivating in mind just exactly how my dudes speak and if the voice given to them wasn't just exactly spot on, accent and inflection included, it would certainly annoy me to no end.

13. this idea could be good if done really well. the problem with BJDs is that their owners give them such in-depth personalities and characters that making them talk back would take a lot of effort to get the personalities right. obviously, it's all down to technology as to whether it would be possible. i personally would have to see one in real life before i could decide whether i liked it or not. :)

14. NEVER! it would creep me out to no end... and i find my doll already creepy enough.

15. i think it would be good for people when they first buy thier dolls, so that the parsonality develops with the voice. the more i think on this idea the more i like the thought of my doll responding to only my voice and bieng able to have little talks in secret with me :) i think id want to put it in my robot... but the main thing i want is the "learning" capability, so its not the same old responses, but changed up a bit

16. Nnnnooo! Especially if speech was based on what a character would say.

I can only imagine the phrases that would have me wanting to throw Deimos out of a window:

"Adjust my pants."

"Haha, I'm almost as tall as you."

"Take me outside more."

"Why don't I get to be naked?"

I'd pass. *_*

I would love to have a cutiepie like Quasi in my home though! If only he were autonomous...

17. No. If the doll could talk it would be taking a flying leap into the realm of way too creepy to be in my house. I had some bad experiences as a kid with possessed furbies... I'd take teh batteries out, and they would continue to talk. And so they were put in a box for a few months. And one day decided to start making these horrid grinding clicking noises, so they were taken out. Still without batteries they twitched and moved and made their nasty noises... So they were smashed with a hammer and put in a box sealed with duct tape and taken directly to the land fill. I don't buy things that talk or move on their own anymore.

18. Lykopis, my furbies are the same. I still have a few lying around somewhere - they really don't like the dark. I don't find them that creepy, though - probably just a design fault. Eh.

I think there'd definitley be a market for talking BJD's. Personally, I wouldn't buy one, for the simple reason that the programmed responses wouldn't be able to convey the character I've given my doll - and that it would be a little creepy for something so real in the first place to suddenly start talking.

19. No, I think the voice might be too complicated. And really, Im not one to actually converse with my doll... And also, how would the voice sound? Realistic? Artificial? Would it have a specific accent? Would it be recorded? It might not match the tone of voice I had in mind either. And what about battery life? If it died, you'd have to restring your doll all over again?

Though the heartbeat idea sounds really cute! I've seen teddy bear with heartbeats. Its very quiet and very endearing.

20. now i'm imagining a BJD talking in a furby voice. we used to put my furby in the cupboard with towels over him to get him to go to sleep. i can picture doing the same to my BJD if it wouldn't shut up :lol: