1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Would anyone buy a talking doll?

Jan 10, 2009

1. Its a great idea, but i would be creeped out by it.

2. Ooh, that might actually be kind of cute! I'm kind of picky though so I'd only want to pay that much if it was REALLY good audio quality, like it really sounded like a real person talking to me. =]
      Also I'm a part of a community for amateur voice actors, and I know just the voice I'd want for my boy. I just hope the person who I'd commission to record voice clips for him wouldn't be creeped out by the idea. XD

3. Absolutely not. My dolls already communicate quite well on their own. I wouldn't want a sound chip with the wrong voice on it saying things my doll's character wouldn't say.

...What?...Just because your dolls don't talk to you...umm...I'm going to stand over here for a while...

4. The idea sounds kinda cool! I always find that type of technology interesting.

I personally would pass up, though. BJDs look real enough to me to have them talking. I'd rather NOT have my childhood fear of Chuckie and Talky Tina revived, thank you very much. :lol:

5. It would be very cool if you could do it...
      But nope, I have the admit, the idea freaks me out a bit.
      I really don't want my dolls talking to me.:sweat

6. Oh, yes, it's very fascinating, but it intimidates me. First of all, wouldn't it put a collar on customization? Then again, it might enhance it...

It's very cool, but i can't see myself buying it.

7. I still support this idea.
      Primarily because of the voice recognition software.
      Of course, I'm sure I would support this even more if there were an on/off switch. XD
      If that is possible, I am so gonna buy this awesomeness.
      <3

8. Nope. No way. I think a doll should stay a simple pleasure.. I think making it talk would ruin it, and freak people out more. I disliked talking dolls when I was little, because they were inadimete objects.. and those arent supposed to talk.

So, I would not buy a talking doll.

9. For a little while you could get a Souldoll Hye with a 'heartbeat option' :S You'd be able to hear a heartbeat...I think that's far too much realism for me. I wouldn't like a talking doll at all.

10. i dont want my doll to talk, i dont think id be able to deal with that. as for a heartbeat..it wouldnt even get in the house. I love my dolls to be dolls. The most I have that 'talk' is my chobits Sumomo figure but she only says about 6 diff phrases if you push a button on her hat, lol, but i see her as more of an action figure than a doll.

11. Would be fun if I could somehow program my dolls to say one or two phrases. If one of my friends tries to give me crap about my dolls, or how wasteful I am of my money etc., Tanya could say stuff like:

Tanya: Hey, I'm gonna give you to the count of 10, to get your lying, yellow, no-good keister off my property, before I pump your guts full of lead! 1... 2... 10!

Keep the change ya filthy animal! ;)

12. Only if I could get James Earl Jones, Sam Elliot, or Richard Dean Anderson as his voice.

13. I'd be interested.... but it would have to have the phrase "Gimme your wallet...." LOL

AND I second this one.....
      ROFL...

14. I wouldnt want mine to talk, but i would love a heartbeat for my boy. I think it would be quite comforting

15. All of my dolls so far are character dolls-- the talking doll's voice would be most likely far different from what I am looking for^^; But I am not saying that there is no place for a non-character doll in my family-- I would certainly consider buying one... but would it be like a Furby? You can teach it words, etc.? Could be interesting... but a doll that would be talking in a robot-like voice "I love you, I am your doll" when you push its belly? No, thanks.

16. As much as I don't want a talking doll, I admit I'd love to see the look on a stanger's face if Isobel suddenly whispered, "Seven daaaaaayssss". :lol:

17. Nooo, I wouldnt buy a talking Abjd >__< It sounds abit creepy to me *_*
      but I wont mind seeing a very short video with one talking..

18. I wouldn't be interested in it myself, though I think some people here could do really hilarious things with it. If it were in keeping with the 'customizable" bjd shtick and you could record your own sayings then that would be a neat gadget for some folks. I've never been into gimmicky things like that, though. A doll should be silent, the way you often wish people would be. ^_~

Raven

19. While it sounds like a really cool idea, I don't think I'd go for it. Just because I'd rather use my imagination...

And I think my parents would poop themselves if, while talking to my doll, it talked back. In fact, my stepmother would most likely call an exorcist.

20. @Anriko: Thanks for the "Twilight Zone" reference.

While I do agree this is an interesting idea, I could never go through with it. Any "voice" that could be given to a doll would never match the way I imagine my dolls sound in my head.