1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Would anyone buy a talking doll?

Jan 10, 2009

1. It depends on the sound of the voice and if it'll fit into my characters personalities. Of course, the only things I'd want him to say would be sarcastic things like what Dr. House would say :D. I already have the perfect voice actor in mind if there was talking dolls.

2. I'd consider buying one. :)

3. I like my dolls silent, never really liked the idea of talking toys or noisy things. I'm sure there are people out there who'd love it, but it's just not really for me, thanks :)

4. I'd be worried that the doll would never shut upor that randomly it would start talking or something (like in the middle of the night "we should have tea!" "it's 2 am! no!")

other than those random and stupid worries about talking dolls, that would be totally cool

5. No, never. The talking Barbies annoy me enough as is. I'll always be afraid I'll set off the voice box when I don't want it to. Heck, I don't think I'd ever want it to. I'd like to handle my dolls without fear xD Besides, I'm too used to doing all that in my head it would just creep me out to actually hear it.

6. Wow, the heartbeat thing makes me think of 'The Tell-Tale Heart' by Edgar Allen Poe. I'd go insane. Just like the main character. Heartbeats kind of freak me out. D:

With the talking voice thing, I'd love to see it, just not on a doll that I'm going to buy. xD; It is interesting, I just wouldn't have it.

7. Heck no! Talking dolls creep me out.
      Growing up, one of my friends had a Teddy Ruxbin, and I was glad it was broken. The fact that his mouth moved when he talked made him not quite as bad as the other dollies that just... talked.
      One year my parents bought me a Tickle Me Elmo and a small Tickle Me Cookie Monster, and the slightest thing would set them off. It annoyed me.
      Then, when one of them started randomly waking me up in the middle of the night with ghoulish laughter (that Cookie Monster's voice was creepy, not like the cute voice he had when I watched the show as a kid), I got up and yanked the voice boxes out and hid them in my closet.
      I never liked Elmo anyways. I liked Grover better.

Having to worry about setting off voices from my dolls when I cuddle and play with them? Not a chance.
      The heartbeat thing one of the doll companies offered a while back was kinda freaky in itself.

Plus, a doll that talks sort of has another personality shoved into it. One of the things I like about these dolls is that you can make them into whoever you want.

8. I'd definitely be interested in this, I want my own little persocon XD But I'd really only be interested if they had beautiful human like voices and were able to respond to many different scripts with a variety of responses. I think at this stage of technology, there simply isn't any cost-effective (or size effective o_O) way to create a gadget to make a doll talk the way I (or probably most people) would want them to.

It really is a great idea. Though I certainly get where many people are coming from. I wouldn't want to put a gadget like this into any of my current dolls. I'd have to buy a special doll to become my persocon and have that be part of her character, rather than having a doll with a character already and trying to have the gadget match.

9. My best friend has a three year old niece, Abby, and her toys talk and go off at odd hours of the night. Freaks us out! I like my dolls quiet.

10. I once had a plastic horse toy that would make galloping sounds when you pressed a button on its back.
      One time, it just started in the middle of the night and then started making a buzzing sound (the same I've had a dying Furby make). Scared the crap out of me. x.x

At the current state of our technology, I certainly wouldn't buy a talking doll. Maybe in another 10-20 years.

11. it would give people another excuse as to why not to get them... but as said above, they couldnt match my character. plus if they started by them self, id get a lil freaked out.

12. I just LOLed really hard at this. :lol:

Well, personally, I am not one for owning a talking anything but I admit it would be absolutely hilarious seeing what people might come up with if this kind of option was available.

13. No. no no no nonononono.

I dislike talking inanimate objects. I had a Teddy Ruckspin as a child and my mother says I tore the talking parts out of it almost immediantly because I was terrified. I hated furbies, they moved and talked and scared me half to death. I can only imagine my reaction to Liina suddenly snarking at me when I said something to myself. I'd probably freak out and throw him across the room.

I think these dolls are so much more fun because you already know what they'll say before a voice-recognition software could answer you, because the voice is in your head already. And most people know what accents and inflections they would have, and thats hard to imitate, especially if it speaks a forgien language.

I don't think I'd be interested in a talking dollie. I'd be terrified of it.

14. Interesting idea but definitely not for me. My dolls have certain characteristics including their voices & I highly doubt if anyone could capture that. Also the things they would talk about wouldn't be the sort of things one could easily program. I really don't talk to my dolls so having one that simply responded to my voice wouldn't fit with my ideas of them.

15. I think I'd be definitely interested, not one for my character dolls but the dolls that don't really have back grounds. If you ever get this thing done and working, I'd definitely be interested in seeing it ^^

16. I always like how my dolls seem to "talk" with their poses and expressions alone. They make me work harder at interpreting them, and I like that extra mile I have to go to "understand". If I ever did a photostory, there'd be no dialogue. Only the pictures and some prose.

17. I think the fact that they don't speak is quite charming. They don't say a thing, yet they enchant so many of us....
      It sounds strange, I know.

18. Hmm it would be interesting to see/hear but on the other hand it would kind of freak me out and the characters already have a "voice" in my mind that has a specific sound so if the voice wouldn't sound like they do in my mind it would seriously kill the character.

So it would be very difficult for me to live with a talking doll that wouldn't fit with the character I have in mind ^_^

Sabriell

19. I do not like the idea of a talking bjd, not at all. I prefer my dollies to talk to me only inside my mind and I actually like to imagine their voice. I've seen and heard talking toys and mostly they sound like they're talking from the dephts of a well.

20. If it's AI styled talking. I would though.

Like Furbys...-coughs-

But if it's like those normal talking and singing dolls...that goes off at weird hours of the night due to being shifted by accident or something. I won't get enough sleep.

Just curious. Is it a mechanism that is bought and placed within our dolls' heads/torsos?