1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Would anyone buy a talking doll?

Jan 10, 2009

1. That does sound interesting.

I may want to have that feature, mostly to scare my friends than anything else.

2. ROFL! :XD: That's one reason I wouldn't want one. The second reason being one of the things I like about dolls is the imagination needed for them. In this modern day there are very few things that you still need your imagination for, with imagination dolls talk to you/through you anyways. But really, it's sad that so much is computerized these days, I don't want my doll to be one of them. I would like my doll to still be one of the few objects that don't talk. :sigh Unlike all these talking phones, computers, coffee makers and junk!

3. no......i do not like talking dolls
      i had as a child a barbie that talked...and i didnt liked her becuase of that ^^

4. Talking doll? Like Chucky? Uhh.. well, it sounds pretty interesting but I'd have to pass. I don't like the scripted lines and the robotic sound of talking toys. So for me, instead of the doll coming more alive, it would just be like.. well, a robot. Not the character that I have built in my mind and spent countless of hours creating.

5. as a child i have always feared that my dolls may talk back, so i can not say i would buy one that really could.

6. WOOOOAAAAH!!! That sounds awesome if you could actually do it! :D

....but I'm sorry to say I'm doubting if it's actually possible. I mean it would say the same thing over and over. It would have it's own mind and the speech wouldnt be customised to it's particular personality.

But if you could actually give it a mind and mouth of its own, I'd pay for it no matter how much it costs! XD

7. No no no no. Not only would it be really creepy, it would make the doll seem cheap and much more like a child's doll. When I think of talking doll, I think of a cheap baby doll with a few pre-recorded phrases.

Could you imagine, for example a YoSD, saying "Teehee, change my wig mommy!" *_*

I just would not ever want a talking BJD. Ever.

8. If something like this did come on the market, I'd immediately buy it and then buy one of those machina bjds I've seen running around! :)

I agree with others, for dolls already in my collection they all have their own personalities and voices and "speak" to me in a silent, magical way. So I could never really buy one for them.

However, being the tech freak I am, I would purchase a new doll (without a story, personality, or particular voice) just to put a system like this in :) And I think it'd just be really cool if it was in a machina because... well I'd have a little talking android/robot to carry around haha.

But as everyone else said, the popularity of this neat little gadget would highly depend on it's range. Whether it randomly turns on at two in the morning, whether it has an incredibly automated sounding voice, and how "repetitive" it is.

I'm somewhat of tech freak, and I've seen several robots/androids that have rather wide vocabularies. So I think it would be possible, but perhaps wait a few years when the gadgetry becomes small enough to fit in a doll and still provide a range of vocabulary?

Finally, I'd be interested in the actual acoustics of it. If the gadget is inside the doll... would that create a weird echoing/vibration of the doll whenever it speaks?

9. First of all, I don't wish to disuade you but this sort of thing HAS been done in that past to verying degrees of success; nor do I wish to disuade you from being creative...

That said, And no offense intended, but personally if I wanted a talking doll I'd knock the 10 years of dust off my Furbees and put some batteries in them.

10. I really don't think so, but not because I wouldn't want my doll to talk. Rather, I wouldn't want her to talk with a voice or personality that isn't very specifically her character's. I would have issues about being all perfect with her tones and it just wouldn't be reasonable.

I have, however, thought more than one of how hysterical it would be to learn ventriloquism to make Sanyu speak. Mostly because I just love scaring the bejeebies out of people. That being said, the voice thing would be tempting just to creep other people out. But I really would be too picky about the tones to be reasonable about such a thing.

11. I don't think any type of programming could capture the uniqueness of my dolls and their personalities. Even though I've made up their characters, I'm even surprised by what new quirks pop up. Plus, all of my dolls are either rude, blunt, or a tad annoying. I could handle it, but the rest of the world (or my household) should be spared :)

12. Sounds like an interesting idea, but I don't really want my doll to talk. I'd like to leave her voice and what she says up to my imagination. :)
      It might just be me, but it brings back bad memories of talking dollies from when I was a little girl. I remember specifically a stuffed Barney doll whose little voice box broke, and he ended up saying "I LOVE YOU, I LOVE YOU" over and over again. o_o It got really creepy, so I got scared at night and stuffed him into my closet. And I could still hear him... -shudders-
      For me it would be funny to freak out friends, but I would hate it if their voice broke and ended up repeating stuff. Plus it reminds me of action figures repeating cheesy lines... not my cup of tea, sorry.

13. I would love to have mine sing excerpts of famous operas or eerie soprano solos like lucia di lammermoore's famous aria. :D Someday, when the money flows in accord and balance with the cost of such tiny gadets, I will buy one for my sleepy diva. <3 Though, I would never buy a doll with pre-set sounds or recorded sentences.

14. I've thought about buying one of those little voice recorder things and sticking them inside one of my dolls, just to freak people out. I think its hilarious when people are afraid of dolls, and that would just be boat loads of fun. Talking dollies! Bwahaha!

15. i have problems with talkin dolls. even with buildabear talkuin animals, i just want to scare ppl with them. usually they just scare me. but, then again, it wwould be kinda kool if dolls had thier own personality and could talk. like, one that we didnt make up personality wise.

16. Most certainly an interesting thing but I didn't care for talking dolls when I was a child, I can't imagine myself wanting a BJD trying to strike up a conversation with me, haha.

This vageuly makes me think of robots that are getting more intricate AI implimented into them where they're able to carry out tasks and reply to questions and requests, haha.

17. Nope, never. It'd be too weird for me. ._.

18. maybe but.. I really want a silent type so he could just listen to me xP. I dont want him/her to talk xp. I want to invent his/her voice in my head

19. It's an interesting idea. But at the same time, I'm not sure if it'd be doable right now.

I mean, yes, it's been done. But a lot of dolls that can do this don't talk convincingly, they repeat themselves. Even things where thousands of dollars have been dumped into convincing AI just aren't there yet.

I'd rather have a doll who "talks" with me subtly without actual words, than a doll who just sort of..says things without any reason or meaning. xD;

20. I think it would definitely be an interesting, cute thing to have! But it's just not for me. Talking toys tend to freak me out just a little bit, so I prefer my dolls to be silent. :)