1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Would it be strange to give a child the same name as your doll

Apr 13, 2018

?
  1. very strange

14 vote(s)
    17.1%
  2. not really

32 vote(s)
    39.0%
  3. not at all

29 vote(s)
    35.4%
  4. other or unsure

7 vote(s)
    8.5%
    1. Ok I was wondering if people would consider it really weird if I gave my child the same name as one of my dolls? I am pregnant with my 2nd child and don't know the sex yet, but right after I found out I was pregnant I had a dream that the baby was already born, and a girl, and everyone kept calling her Luvina (Loo-vee-nah). The same name as the doll I've had the longest, my CP juri05. I haven't suggested it to my husband yet, but whenever I try to think of names my mind just keeps going back to that. I really like the name but had never considered it for my own children or I wouldn't have named my doll that in the first place. It feels a little odd to me though, because I have no intention of ever selling that doll, or changing her name, so she would still be around as my possible daughter grows up. But I just cant seem to get it out of mymind and was wondering what others thought

2. I don't personally think it's weird.
      From what you've written, it seems like you like a name for your kid that is also coincidentally the name of one of your dolls. It's not like you're naming your child that name because you want your child to be that character, it's just a name you like. In my opinion, a name is just a name. If a person happens to have the same name as a doll I don't think it's a strange, it just is. Besides, a lot of people and things happen to share the same names even if they're unrelated. Since its just a name you like, no I don't think it's weird.

And hey, if it its still feels off to you you could always just make it their middle name instead of their first.

3. Oh, it is a lovely name ! I see no problem or oddity in giving your child a name you have previously used for a doll. Obviously, you adore the name. At least put it in the pool of names for consideration. Good luck with your selection.:thumbup

4. I had named one of my dolls Leon long before my daughter had a little boy and, completely coincidentally, named him Leon. Since then I have gotten dolls that represent my grandchildren and given them the same names so, no, I don't see any problem with it.

5. My aunt has 8 middle names. You can always slide it in there somewhere even if it's not a first name.

6. I don't think it's odd at all. as others have said it's clearly a name you really like/love. as long as you're not trying to make your possible daughter that character, which from what you've written it doesn't sound like that at all, i think it's a beautiful name. I would put it in the pool of possibilities.

7. I'm currently pregnant with my second child, too. :) Congrats.

I think that sounds just fine. You found a name you like, and that's what most people do when naming their kids! I took the name of my first from Fire Emblem (it's not an uncommon name though, don't worry lmao). I think if I found a sculpt with a name I liked (that wasn't too foreign) I'd write it down. It wouldn't have the associations my OC names do, which is also good.

8. Personally, I’d have to change the doll’s name, it’d bug me too much. But if it doesn’t bother you, then it’s no one else’s business! I had a similar situation with a novel character I wrote years ago and then my brother picked the same name for his son. I renamed the character because it was bugging me too much! XD

9. It's not weird at all! And you can always make Luvina her middle name if you're too unsure. But if you ask me then there's nothing wrong with naming your child after your doll, it's a nice name and doesn't even sound weird. Maybe try calling your child Luvina for the next few months and see for yourself if it starts to feel wrong? :thumbup

10. It depends. Would it confuse your daughter? Would she feel she needs to compete with the doll or look like her? Would she think she owns Luvina-Doll?
      I'd say it would depend on your daughter's personality and how you (and your significant other) handle the situation.
      It's up to you.
      Your baby, your choice. :3nodding:

11. I actually ran into this problem! I had loved the name 'Catalina' since 2010 when my sister introduced me to a song by Bye Bye Birmington called 'Catalina Dreams of California'! When my daughter was born in 2016, my Catalina-doll ultimately was changed to 'Katarina' to lessen the confusion, lol! I no longer own Katarina, so my daughter having the name Catalina isn't a huge issue anymore XD

12. I'd say it depends on the name. If you got a doll named, say, Gina or Ernesto or something like that I wouldn't consider it weird. If it's a name like Pink Sodapop - well, something kinda "out there" - I'd consider it pretty weird.

13. I don't think it's strange. You named your doll "Luvina" for a reason, and if you still love the name, it should be a good name for your child, too. Maybe if you gave her a name you don't feel so attached to, you'd have the feeling you gave her the "wrong" name? And Who (but you) cares what your doll is named? You don't "call" your doll like one would do with a pet.
      I know someone who named both of her children "Desiree" (for one it's the first name, for the other, the middle name) because it means "desired one". She said she couldn't stand the idea of only one of her children believing she was a "desired one".

14. I would never give my child a name I previously used for a pet or an inanimate object because here it is said to bring bad luck and misfortune. Of course this is merely superstition. In the end *you* should decide if it is weird to be calling your doll the same name as your child and vice versa. If you are fine with it then by all means please do because the name obviously speaks to you. If all else fails you could always use it as a middle name.

Congratulations on your pregnancy by the way~ ^__^

15. I did the opposite—I picked baby names when I was a young teen, then decided later that I never want to have kids. I used my baby names as doll names! (Roxxi is the only one I have left, though I used Daniel, Heath and Scarlett too).

Some people might find it strange, but I don’t. We get attached to these dolls, the characters are special to us, we put a part of ourselves into their creation and development, and we choose special names for them—in a way, the same as people do for children. So, why not? You could also choose a similar name with a small variation, or use it as a middle name or nickname.

16. I don't think it's strange. I think it's kind of cute. :)
      I read somewhere that Steve Irwin named Bindi after a favorite dog...;)

17. It’s not weird at all!
      Lovely name! ^_^

18. I don't think it's weird. It's a name you liked anyway, otherwise you wouldn't have used it for a doll.

19. Beautiful name! When I was a child, I had a doll named Natasha. And other girls had dolls with popular female names. My sister's name is Natasha. I have two friends named Natasha. For my country this is completely normal, so I do not see the problem at all.):)

20. I would think some people might find it a little odd, but it's your child. You should name them whatever you want (within reason, don't name them Dirtbag or Trashcan or something). You're the one who's going to be calling them that the most. Luvina is a beautiful name.