1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Would you consider collecting BJDs a mainstream versus unique kind of hobby?

Mar 9, 2010

1. I've only met one other person who had a bjd. So I would say that it's a niche hobby. It may be more common in other places, but not so much in Memphis, TN.

2. It's definitely obscure still--when I describe my dolls to people in real life, one out of maybe 8-10 will say, "Oh, I think I've seen those online." The rest look at me like I have five heads.

Actually, just yesterday I went to the hardware store to get some screws and stuff to do maintenance on my girls, and had this exchange with the employee:

Me: "I have an obscure request."
      Him: "I'll do my best."
      Me: *holds up disembodied part* "Screws for doll feet."
      Him: *beat* "That's a new one."

To his credit, he was definitely helpful and polite after that! But yeah, if this hobby were truly mainstream, he wouldn't have batted an eye. ;)

3. Doll collecting in general is pretty mainstream, but when I say I collect dolls, people tend to assume I mean Barbie, baby dolls or American Girl. Hardly anyone has heard of BJDs in my area. Sooo....dolls in general, mainstream, but specifically BJD, pretty niche hobby.

4. I also consider BJDs to be a niche hobby. I do think that it is gaining popularity, but for now it is a unique hobby and most people don't really know it exists.

5. I think every hobby is unique in it's own way but I don't see the BJD in any form of "mainstream" hobby. When I first told my friend I thought of joining the hobby she thought it was weird, not something you'd really expect if you told your friend you were joining a "mainstream" hobby like painting.
      There aren't many people in the BJD hobby either, you could find plenty of people that read as a hobby but it's pretty rare to say you collect BJDs. But I think that makes the hobby even more unique, that there are so few people in it it's like finding a new best friend every time you meet someone who also collects.
      I like the BJD hobby for it's uniqueness though, every doll is different in many ways, something that's hard to achieve in other hobbies.

6. Well BJD collecting to me isn't mainstream because it encompasses so many different aspects that it is unique to each person. The price on many BJD's will also keep it from being mainstream as its not like a $9.99 Barbie or even a $99 Barbie. I'm glad it isn't mainstream because my boys are limited & are created by what I want him to look like!!
      I enjoy the artistry of the BJD manufacturer & look forward to seeing what the future holds.

7. I only know of two people that own a BJD besides me that lives within a couple hours from me,so I wouldn't really say this is a mainstream hobby. It's gotten more popularity due to more companies and more affordable bjds to choose from, but it hasn't gotten popular enough to be mainstream yet. At the rate it's going I can see the hobby getting popular in the next 5 years or so. Doll collecting in general is already fairly popular, so I don't see how BJDs can't be on that list eventually.

8. I honestly can't see it ever becoming a mainstream hobby. BJDs just aren't readily available enough. I don't even tell people I have BJDs unless they are a friend, simply because I don't want to have to explain what it is (and risk having them think I'm weird... :sweat). So if my co-workers ask me what hobbies I have I'll just say arts and crafts, sewing, etc. The things I do with/for my dolls. I imagine if it was a mainstream hobby I wouldn't feel that way. Arts and crafts in general are mainstream hobbies, but then everyone who does art does it in a different way, right?

9. Definitely niche. I'd never heard of them until 2 weeks ago. While searching for a doll of my own, there's a lot of "Out of Stock" or "Sold Out"s online. That would turn the mainstream off, I'm sure.

10. I would have to say that it is uncommon to say the least. In 8 years of collecting I have only met one person that knew what I was talking about. She worked at the fabric store where I was shopping and guess where she was from, Korea. I also collect Barbies and it is totally different. With Barbie I take her out of the box, put her shoes on, give her any accessories that came with her and put her on the shelf. My ABJD's have their wigs, eyes and clothes changed until I find the right look. Of course that doesn't mean that they will stay that way. Odds are they won't.

11. Would you consider collecting BJDs a mainstream versus unique kind of hobby? Why or why not? [/QUOTE]
      when I collect something it is for myself and my own joy. Doll to me are very much part of bringing me joy. I believe in being an individualist [very much so] but not an elitist in any shape or form. If I like something it doesn't mater if there is one of it 10 100 1000 or more it is what I want and is precious to me regardless. I think if you only value something if it is really rare you don't value it at all so much as the concept of having control of something or turning it into an ideal instead of a point of truly caring for it, That is on a personal level as far as it being a niche everything in doll collecting has been going n for centuries and some are more popular than other the bjds are popular I think and more so now than ever before s they are more available and in a much wider variety of size looks and price ranges

12. Not really mainstream, no. Though there are quite a few BJD owners around the world, it's hardly something that people outside the hobby know about. There are a lot more people for whom dolls are just childhood play things, and not a form of art etc, and you don't see BJDs often on media or out in shops on your everyday street, so I definitely would not call this hobby a mainstream hobby.

13. A quick add to my comment: I first really saw one of the Asian bjds from a friend of a friend probably around 2006 or so [a killer SD fairy] in Calf. since I was out there and already involved on and off in the doll community it might have seemed more popular to collect them to me than lets say someone who lived in middle America. I fell in love with her dolls but thought they were bigger and allot more expensive than what I would collect. When I saw them in the 1/4 bjd style I was hooked

14. I think it is a hobby that not many know of, at least in my country it is not all that popular, however I have managed to find some people who adore the same kind of dolls as I do, however the majority, if i were to ask them whether or not they knew about my dolls it would obviously be no.

I personally fell over the hobby at a convention where there was a glass montre with the dolls displayed back in 2006. Ever since then I was hooked, but even though they were displayed at a convention there are many people who are into the asian popular culture who does not know about these dolls. therefor I would not consider it mainstream.

15. Mentally I roll collecting BJDs under the umbrella of toy collecting and then broadly generalized as doll collecting. So that said, I think it's mainstream. In almost every hobby, there's a specialization or focus of interest. Almost anything can become uncommon the more granular one goes. I tend to just consider myself a doll collector and when communicating to people outside of the hobby; I just leave it at that unless they're reaaaalllllllllly interested. :)

16. Honestly, is there such a thing as a mainstream hobby? The only hobby that society considers acceptable seems to be sports, and then only if you're a dude. Drawing, knitting, crafting, video games, movies...whatever you're into, you're gonna find a bunch of people that think you're a dork. You just learn to ignore them.