1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Would you, could you give away a doll?

May 2, 2012

1. Yes. Ones that I don't feel connected to sometimes get given away.

2. I guess the only person I'd give my dolls to is my little niece. She'll be two years old in October, so it'll still be a while before I even have to consider it. *gg* Also would depend on whether she likes them or not. Other than giving them to her, I can't imagine ever giving them away, though.

3. I've given dolls as gifts before, but the dolls were purchased for that purpose. I've never given away one of my own personal dolls...no wait, I have. I gave away a free gift head to a friend after I had been gifted that head and changed my plans. It seemed the right thing to do since I had received it for free from a friend myself. What people do with those gifts after I get them...I don't care. It's theirs, and I hate this idea that if you receive a gift from someone, you owe them to treat it or feel about it the way they want you to.

I really can't imagine just giving away my dolls, though. Not because I think they are my children or anything like that, but because they're worth a lot of money. I'd want the money.

4. It would have to be a very special person to me, for me to give a doll too. They would have to be 'above and beyond the call of duty', so to speak. I actually give a lot of things away, to various degrees. So this concept is easily understood.

I know I would love a doll that was given to me. Any kind of doll. Even broken ones can be fixed and mended, yellowed ones can be dyed, or scrubbed. It would be the thought and the action that would make me all soppy and blubbery. XD

5. I have given doll parts to people. I'm not sure I could give away a full doll, because I usually need the money and it has taken a long time to buy some of them. The only way I might be able to give one away would be if I had one that I no longer wanted and either my sister or best friend REALLY wanted the doll. but even then, I think I'd charge a lower price for them. I just really can't afford to lose $300+

I have given away quite a few non-bjds. like barbies or bratz that I no longer cared for. I've donated a LOT of them to goodwill. I don't feel as weird doing that, since after I've played with them or modded them, they have very little value, usually not even enough to bother trying to sell them.

6. I gave a doll (with eyes, outfits, and wig) away to a family member and his partner because they considered that doll a favorite of my collection. He is very much cherished there and I get to "visit" with him from time to time, which is nice. The majority of my collection I am far too attached to to give away, so this particular doll didn't fall into that category.

Here are some similar threads you might be interested in:

http://www.denofangels.com/forums/showthread.php?61517-Giving-a-doll-as-a-gift&highlight=gift
      http://www.denofangels.com/forums/showthread.php?349046-Giving-a-doll-as-a-gift&highlight=gift

7. I can hardly get the BJDs I want for myself XD so...I don't think I could give away one of my boys...if I don't bond with them I sell them. Money is an issue for me, if it wasn't I would probably think different.

Now, I can buy a BJD to someone special to me...if my brothers or best friend were into BJDs I'd get them one...but none of them like dolls >.>

8. I've given away two dolls before. They went to people I thought would really enjoy them. However, I don't think I'd ever give away a BJD, unless it was a free event item that I really didn't want. And even then, it would have to go to someone I considered a very good friend or person.

9. Only if it was a very inexpensive doll.

I've given a doll's head away, but that was only because I received it free from another member here on DoA. (I only paid the shipping)

The doll head had some mods to it which I cleaned up and eventually sent along to one of my favorite Face-up artists: Tasha Neko of Illness Illusion,

If I ever receive a doll's head (or whole doll) for free again, I will probably pass that doll along for free to the next person as well.

I believe that good karma can be passed along.

10. The only time i'd do that would be to a younger family member or when i have children. These dolls are too expensive to just give away willy-nilly in my opinion. But that's just me.

11. I have an OT bjd that someone had got as a present for me but no matter what I did with her I failed connecting. However, since I couldn't sell her or just keep her in her box and be happy with it, I looked through people close to me that I knew liked dolls and could possibly give her a new, better home. One of my good friends close friends who is used in dollsitting her resin children but didn't have a doll of her own agreed to taking her in and now can't wait to receive her 'daughter' xD that way, the dollie went to a good home and she's close enough I can always see or ask about how she's doing~ c:

12. If it's a doll I love, but no longer see in my collection I could give it away to a friend if they really wanted it. I think it's a nice way to know the doll will go to a good home, and make a friend happy at the same time.

As for dolls I have that I'm not attached to, it's more than likely I'd sell them.

13. I think as long as it was a doll that I wasn't super attached to, it would be fine. I absolutely HATE trying to sell things in order to get my money back, so if it was a doll that I didn't like and was trying to get rid of, then I'd probably prefer to give it away instead of going through the hassle to sell it.

14. I think that if I ever got tired or lost connection with one of my dolls, I'd consider giving it to my sister before I would consider selling it. My sister likes BJDs but can't afford them and since she likes mine I'd rather see if she wanted it first, and then I'd give it away to her under those circumstances. I don't see any other situation where I would give them away, though.

15. No. I'd sell it for money for a different doll, ha.
      I dont think there is any realistic situation where I would even consider giving a doll away. The only exception would be if I were a mother and gifting it to my child. Which I'm no so, yeah, no.

16. Honestly, I really wouldn't give one away. Sorry to say. I resell any doll of mine that I do not want/need anymore. I don't have the money/disposable income to just give something I invested so much money in away. If it's a trade, I don't mind. If I get something I need in return for it, yes. But no, not giving it away blatantly.

17. Yep. Could, would, and have. I've purchased dolls as gifts, and I've also given away dolls that I owned and realized I no longer wanted, but knew I couldn't get my money back on/didn't want to go to the trouble of selling.

I wonder what the run-down is? Hmm, let's see...

I gave one friend an NS Mau cat head by Ashbet. I also gave her my Bluefairy Dana on a Blossom body, because I realized I just didn't like MSD-sized dolls, but I didn't want to try to sell her. And I purchased a WS Soom Gena head for her, and a Dreaming Doll girl body for her to go on, and gifted them to her as a combination Yule/birthday present.

I gave a friend a Super Gem Cuprit, with her ears modded to be human (my friend wanted the face, but didn't want a non-human doll, as her character was human), as a combination birthday/Yule gift. I gave the same friend a WS Mau head by Ashbet.

I gave another friend a Souldoll LE tan "Spear of Dark Mist Valley" Hye as a birthday present.

I gave a damaged head that I'd picked up with the intention of repairing and never gotten around to working on to a budding mod artist here on DoA. They turned her into a very cool project doll!

18. I have one doll I would have no problem giving away. I have had her in almost four years now and have never been able to bond with her, and I feel bad thinking about selling her.

I just want her to go somewhere nice where she will be cared about properly.

19. I always think that if I ever become rich, I'm totally buying BJDs for all the newbies who can't afford. Other than that, probably not, they're a bit expensive imo to just give away xD

20. x.x I would never give away my dolls, only dolls i'd give away as gifts would have to be cheap dolls and i dont know any bjd fans offline.