1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Would you, could you give away a doll?

May 2, 2012

1. I would, I could, I have :)

There was this one doll I was eyeing up on the MP for ages, and eventually I thought "hey, ok, I'll message about it" but when I went to look for the thread I found it was gone. Fortunately, one of my friends had bought it and when he decided to sell that girl, remembering I'd been thinking of getting her, he asked if I wanted to buy her from him so I did! I had lots of plans for her, which mostly involved changing her drastically, but my friend fell so deeply and utterly in love with her just as she was that I decided to give her to my friend :) Although it was a doll I really loved the sculpt of and had wanted her for a long time and was delighted to finally have her, I would have felt awful about changing her so much when there was someone who already loved her the way she was. And as it happened it's a good job I did, as the doll I had wanted for the character in the first place has recently fallen into my lap so I'd have felt millions of times worse changing a gorgeous doll only to later change her again or sell her :XD:

I've also bought a doll for a friend - admittedly only a cheap Custom House one, but she can't afford a doll of her own and wants one so much so I thought it would be nice for her to be able to get one, even if it was only cheap :) I'm still in the process of putting him all together in terms of clothing, wig, shoes, carrier etc, but I want him to be completely complete with all the trimmings. I'm not breaking the bank on him, but my friend will be happy at least (I hope!).

In terms of my personal dolls, I'm not sure I could give any of them away once I'd bonded with them. However, there are one or two I can imagine giving to certain people because I know they'd care for them as much as I do. Generally though we swap or sell amongst ourselves :lol:

2. No way! My 10 year old asked to have one of my dolls. I let the doll sit on her shelf overnight to see how I would feel about it....well..I had to take it back the next morning! :-)
      Sorry Jasmine! :aheartbea

3. Sure. I gave a doll to a very very good friend of mine as a birthday present. I knew the doll would be given more attention at her house and knew I would get to visit her and see her photos. I knew she was thinking about a similar doll so I knew it would be a really big surprise.I also gave one to a charity raffle. I believe in good dolly karma... I can't take it with me. :)

4. That's kind of adorable XD You should try getting her a 1/6 obitsu as a test for her to see if she can take care of a doll and if she does well you could buy her a Resinsoul or something ^_^

5. I have been tempted to donate a doll to a good cause. Spampy makes a whole wardrobe for a doll and then auctions it off to help a group in Africa. But so far no one has proven to me to be worth donating. Hopefully one day.

6. At the price I paid for my dolls, no, I would never give one away. I'm attached to them, anyway.

7. That is a wonderful idea! I hope you find a good cause!

8. I would. I have one now that I have considered giving away should I ever find someone who I think would appreciate it. Should I ever leave the hobby (not currently planning to!) I think I would be happier gifting out what I have than selling it.
      That's my personality, though. I love to give! For me, the happiness of the other person would be a good enough price to put on them.

9. I have :3

I bought a doll that needed some restoration, I fixed her up to the best of my novice ability, and ended up giving her to my friend for her birthday last year :3 Though I probably would have done the same thing even if it wasn't her birthday :P

I've also been on the receiving end; one of my friends had a head with a damaged ear, and she ended up giving him to me just 'cause she lost interest in him, and she knew I thought he was cute :P

If I had the funds, I'd do it again :3

10. Gave my daughter a head & a tiny body (I got them separately) cause she asked - if she got truly interested in BJDs I'd definitely give her one of my dolls (now she wants to do faceups & make a weird little doll only). My girls will get my dolls eventually, anyway....

11. I gave my best friend a doll head for her birthday last year. A complete doll would have been too expensive for me and I knew she wouldn't mind saving up for the body herself. I created a complete character for her with a name and backstory (I wrote a poem especially), custom face-up from an excellent artist and matching eyes and wig. For all sorts of different occasions I gave her little things to complete the doll further. I actually had so much fun doing all of this for her, I'm doing it again this year. And she returned the favour too, she had a minimee cat head painted exactly like one of my own cats. I'm currently saving up for the custom body she commisioned. As for my own dolls, I wouldn't consider giving them away, because I'm too attached to them. But if I wasn't happy with one of my dolls and I knew she loved it (her being the only person I know that is into BJD's), I would give it to her in a heartbeat, although I would wait for some sort of special occasion.

12. Honestly, I've been contemplating giving away my two blank heads I've had for a long time... I just don't have the funds to give them bodies and they're just getting yellow and lonely. I don't think I would give away any of the full dolls I have now.

13. Hmm... I honestly don't know. I have not owned enough dolls to have ever given one away, but someday I might seriously consider it. I know that many people love the dolls but cannot afford one, and it would make me very happy to make a dream come true, but at the same time they are really not toys. I would have to be certain that the potential owner would cherish and take care of the doll, but I think that I would give away a doll, yes.

14. I love the idea that anyone could give one of these ball jointed beauties away, just because it goes back to pure kindness. Personally, I don't think I'll be giving any away, mostly because right now I don't even have one at all, and I suspect that for a very long time, maybe even forever, I'll only have one.

15. I haven't been in the BJD collecting world long enough to give one away, but I totally would if I no longer had a purpose for it. I've given away a doll that wasn't a BJD and did so because a very good friend of mine had one similar when she was a teen that was stolen and she had bonded with that doll. I had one sitting in my closet for years and knew it would probably never be much use to me so I surprised her and gave it to her. The look on her face made it worth it for sure. It was so nice making someone so happy :)

16. If something don't attire me about the doll anymore, surely I would give away it but just selling it. Dolls are dolls. Not real people.
      So, if something don't satisfy my purchased doll anymore, I would give away my doll selling it and purchase a different doll).
      About give away.. mmm.. not.. these dolls are so expensive! Come on! XD Who would give it away in this way?? www

17. I have given one doll away to an artist friend who is fascinated with my dolls but didn't want to/couldn't afford to spend the money on one. It was a Dollzone MSD boy I bought second-hand and I knew she was going to experiment with it and make it into an artwork. I also gave her a couple of Obitsu plastic bjds heads to experiment with. If I no longer wanted a doll and I felt like I couldn't get a fair price for it or nobody wanted to buy it I would give it away to a friend or family member if they wanted it. I am very fortunate to have a lot of dolls, many of which are my dream dolls - so I feel blessed to be able to enjoy this hobby to such an extent. I love sharing this hobby with others so if I met someone who really, really, really wanted a doll & there was no way they could ever afford it, and I had a doll I wanted to get rid of I would give it to them, provided I liked the person and I thought they would value & cherish the doll.

18. One of my best friends wanted a doll for over 6 years. So when me and my girlfriend where to order our dolls (my first and her second), we asked around and got enough money to give my best friend the doll she had been staring at for 6 years.

19. I haven't been around long enough to contemplate giving a doll away yet, but I did have one given to me. I feel guilty about it. It is just as hard to get one as a gift as it is to give one away I can tell ya :-)

20. I wouldn't be opposed to giving away a doll if I had a suitable recipient and a doll I wouldn't mind parting with. I don't plan on giving away my current dolls at this, point, but it could happen as things change.