1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Would you, could you give away a doll?

May 2, 2012

1. I have given a few dolls away at this point. One was meant as a gift, and another I gave away because I knew she would be happier at that home than at mine. The agreement for that one, however, was that if things changed here, she would come back. (i.e. if I ever buy the character's brother back, she would return to be with him)

On the flip side, I've sort of received a free doll. Although originally it was sort of payment for unlimited 'free' faceups. ;) I still view her as a gift, as my best friend gave her to me and I'm happy to do free work for her anyway. haha

I see no problem with giving dolls as gifts. I think it's a wonderful and selfless thing. Especially considering how much they cost! And if you think of them as your kids, or close friends...why would you give them away? Wouldn't you rather give away one you know would be happy with the other person? I don't view any of my dolls as 'things', but I don't think 'giving them away' is cruel in any way. If the person you are giving them too is a fellow responsible doll owner...or someone you know who will be respectful of the doll, I think it's just fine. :)

2. I hope this doesn't make me sound like a total scrooge, but I don't think I could ever *give* a doll away, purely because they're such a financial investment ._.; However, if I was really desperate to be rid of a doll, and a friend was in love with it, then I'd happily sell it at a much discounted price because it's going to a friend. I don't think I could give a doll away for nothing, unless it was a present.

3. I gave away a £150 doll (not a bjd) to a lady with learning disabilities and it is now her "baby". I'm not sure I could give a bjd away, it would have to be a really really special person.

4. I would never give a doll away even if I couldn't bond with it after several years. One reason for this is care; as we all know, these are more fragile than your typical dolls, and come with a hefty price. If I heard a doll I gave away was severely damaged or neglected to the point where it was covered in dust, my heart would sink. Another reason is appreciation; do they really want to be in the hobby, or do they just want it because it's free? Honestly, I'd probably only give a doll of mine to a family member, but that's it, friends pay. There is one exception however, but that's only because he got me into this hobby. ^^

5. Only to a dear friend or family member; otherwise, probably not.

6. I gave my friend my Fairyland PukiSha because I never did much of anything with him and he just sat on my shelf collecting dust. She's wanted a bjd for years so I packed him up with all the stuff I had for him and mailed him off to her out in AZ.

Back when I first got into this hobby, I had someone give me a head they had and didn't want, brand new!

I am a generous person so I like it when I can help people out when I can. Not that I would give away dolls all the time and it would have to be a good friend. I have given away some parts though. ^.^

7. I couldnt give away a doll x.x just because of money issues and seeing as i might even just only have 2 or 3 dolls total probably my whole life because of money situations i couldnt part with them x.x. I wouldnt mind helping someone i love get a doll though but i couldnt give mine away ;-;.

8. I did. I had a head that I wasn't bonding with, a body on the MP that wasn't selling, it was close to Christmas, and my sister was saying how much she loved BJDs but would never be able to afford one...so I put them together, did a faceup, made an outfit in a style I knew my sister would like, and gave her the doll for Christmas. :) I see it as a way to bring someone else into the hobby (she needs to join DOA!) :)

9. If it was a close friend or a family member, sure! It would be a great opportunity to introduce someone to the hobby. ^_^

10. I defiantly plan on buying dolls as gifts to my boyfriend. And I would buy one for my best friend, if she ever got interested enough (I've been really trying to get her interested! She likes them, but she isn't in love with them yet.)
      I don't think I could give away one of the dolls I own though. They are all special to me.

11. Probably not because I don't have any close friends who like dolls.

12. Thats what I was thinking bwhahaha

If I had the means I would, unfortunately I am wayyyy to poor to just give them away

13. It'd have to be a doll i wasn't giving much attention and someone i really trusted

14. No, I don't think I'd ever GIVE a doll away. Sell for a reduced price, maybe. But BJDs are such a huge financial investment that I don't think I could afford to take that kind of hit.

15. If it was for a good cause, such as charity, I think I would. Or maybe if I caught wind of a sick child, or even adult, that wanted one but couldn't afford it due to medical bills and such, I would. Something like that.

16. I've given dolls away, and I've bought a doll for someone else. I could afford it at the time, and it made her really happy, so that made me feel pretty happy too. :) I get occasional random urges to be generous sometimes. I think it's good karma to indulge those urges when they happen, within reason. :)

17. Yes I have and will be buying another friend her own. The dolls I gave away have come back to me though...as the owner needed money to move...so far she hasn't, those plans fell through. But if she wants them back, she'll buy them back.

As for the other friend, she can't work, disabled, and really wants one. So he's cheap, and she wants him, so I'll purchase him when I can.

18. I'm currently seriously debating giving my Resinsoul Ya/Li to my mum. I adore Ya/Li, but I just don't feel she fits somehow, she doesn't have a character yet and it bothers me (my other dolls tell me who they are). I think I like SD and Yo-SD size best and Ya/Li is MSD.

19. I bought two dolls as gifts for people. I guess that doesn't count as it wasn't MY characters, they weren't my possessions.
      I have recently re-gifted a doll that belonged to an ex. Felt right.
      I don't think I could give away one of my own dolls, however. I have concluded, if times were tight, I could sell all but one. My first doll. I never thought I'd have a child of my own, and it seems I may be right on that. Therefore, the first doll I ever got.. Is a figure for my daughter. She is what I can't actually have.

20. I recently bought 5 dolls and I couldn't afford to buy my graduating cousin a doll like I had promised. So my other cousin gave me the idea to give her the female island doll that I had to her because I hadn't actually bonded with her and she was too childish looking to me. I regretted it a little but my cousin lives with me so it's not like I'd never see her again.