1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Would you, could you give away a doll?

May 2, 2012

1. Yes, I did. :)

It was a birthday present to my best friend. I wanted to give her something very special and personal so I gave her a doll that I had customized. It made me really, really happy. :whee:

2. A while ago, a bit over a year, I rehomed my very first BJD to one of my best friends. I had lost interest in the doll, and the only time she ever left the shelf was when my friend came over and wanted to hold her. I saw how much my friend adored her, and was very interested in the BJD hobby but couldn't afford a doll of her own, so I offered my doll to her. She was so happy, and now she has tons of BJDs. It's nice to see the progress she's made in the community, and to know that I helped give her a push in the right direction. <3

3. I could never, ever do such a thing !

4. Umm, for now, no. Their value is quite big and rather than give them directly I will just re-sell them (to a good owner) But maybe I will do it someday when my family grows too big and I am financially free *wishful!* Although I am sure it will be very difficult to pick which one to be rehomed.. And to pick a responsible new owner.

5. I love reading what people think and do!

6. I've given away four dolls. Three to my mother and one to my old neighbours dauther.
      It gives me lots of happiness to see another person become exicted about their new doll.
      Some of them were dolls I no longer used, so I could just as well give them away or sell them, so I ended up giving them away.
      I mean, I knew my mother adored Pukis, so why not give her my old one?

7. I couldn't, I'm much too sentimental and I love my Einblick.

8. I have given away three dolls in my time. All three went to my good friends and seeing them happy made it all worth wild. Yes doll do cost a bit but you be suprize that you don't think of the money when you see them hold somthing that makes them happy when they are going through some ruff times or feeling down.

9. A year or so ago, I had to sell my only BJD because I needed the money for more important things. I had planned on getting a job and had things lined up to re-purchase her in a more suitable sculpt, but everything fell through. I missed having a doll around, I love this hobby but I just didn't have the money for it, but ten months later a good friend bought a doll second-hand. They liked her, but things weren't working out, she was beautiful but they just weren't bonding. So...they came to me, handed her over and told me to take her. :o

Of course the guilt of accepting such a large gift is there, still is and sure as hell always will be, as well as the overwhelming gratitude, but coming from another side I think gives a slightly different perspective. These dolls are really expensive, a fun hobby but pricey to keep coming, but when it comes down to it, my thought is that they're just dolls. I wouldn't throw a favorite doll at some person I just met who had a passing interest in them, but if I had the ability and the occasion or circumstances seemed right, I would most certainly give away a doll. No question.

10. Ive never given a doll away but i feel that if i havent "connected" witht he doll and i had someone who was very close to me who wanted her and i knew would love her then i would pass it along.

11. I could not give away a doll where I have formed an attachment unless it was a dire situation and it would make a world of difference for someone that I loved. On the other hand, I could see myself giving away a doll where I had not formed a bond of any sort to a friend or family member. So far, this has not happened, but I'm certain it is inevitable. I have other dolls, specifically a rather large Blythe collection, and many of them are collector items where I do not have the same level of attachment and it has crossed my mind recently to sell some of them. However, as soon as I think it, I change my mind. Stories such as Juxian's above scare the crap outta me. It would really disturb me to see one of my former dolls mistreated regardless.

12. I, in fact, have given away a doll.
      He wasn't getting enough love from me and I felt like I was ignoring him and after other dolls came along he got pushed to the side. So rather than selling him (he was a rather cheap Chinese doll so I had no problem with not receiving money) he went to one of my friends who I knew would love him.
      There he constantly has his picture taken. He has clothes made for him on a monthly basis if not more and I feel that they both are happy.
      In return though I get free art of my dolls

13. I once gave away an Angelregion Jade boy to a friend of mine, as I got him as part of a two doll auction and didn't really want another boy doll, and my friend had expressed an interest in getting into dolls.

...My friend promptly lost him while moving.

14. I'm planning on giving my first doll, a BBB Espree, to my younger sister when I (hopefully) go to Japan next year. I know I won't be able to take all of mine with me, and she truly enjoys playing with mine when I'm at home. She understands that they are fragile since she owns a couple porcelain dolls. She'll only be nine, which I know would freak some people out, but I know that it would make her happy.

15. Never! I love both of my Dolls, and I think very deeply before choosing them. I could never give mine away.

16. I haven't yet given one away, but I've considered it. I wouldn't, however, give away any of the dolls I feel very strongly about.

17. Yes I've given 3 of my dolls to my daughter as presents. Dolls that I was kind of indifferent to and may have sold but she loved them so it makes it easy

18. I don't think I could give away any of my dolls, unless it was to someone very special to me, who I knew would love and appreciate him/her as much as I would. I have given dolls as gifts, but they were dolls that were specifically for that person, and not a doll that I had previously owned.

I would sell a doll if I had to, but only if I was really desperate for financial resources and didn't have any other options.

19. I'm considering this right now actually. I have a friend that is interested in BJDs and wants a doll but she's sticker shocked. She needs to sit and play with one and discover. The few moments she's had with one of my BJDs she couldn't play much with him; we were at work. Also one of my older dolls that I LIKE is not fitting in the family any more so I'm considering giving it to her. I don't love this doll anymore and I don't want her sitting on the market for forever.

20. I see nothing wrong with gifting a doll to someone as long as they understand that it's not a cheap play doll. A while back I actually gave one of my dolls to my best friend after her's were destroyed in a wild/house fire.