1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Would you, could you give away a doll?

May 2, 2012

1. I certainly would. I think a lot of people are missing the point on this thread, it's not about would you give away a doll that you're attached to but instead of selling a doll, would you give it away.

I certainly would to a friend or someone who could not afford one. I think its silly that people would try to compare dolls to children (although in certain cases I can understand but those cases are few and far between). They are materialistic objects and if I had a dear friend who deeply loved one of my dolls and I could afford to give it to her, my conscience wouldn't let me not give it to her. I think doll gifts are sweet and wonderful.

2. yes of course. If you love and really care for someone and know they can't afford you don't mind or even think about it, just do it

3. My initial reaction was something along the lines of "omgomgomg what??" then after reading all the posts of people who HAD it just flatlined into a "whaaaaaaaaaaat?!" :o

Give away a doll? Just give it away? As in, "hey I spent a hell of a lot of money on this doll and put a lot of time into customising it but here, you have it"? I mean, even if I didn't want it anymore, I'd sell it! How much money do you think I've got??

Okay, if it was like... a Barbie or other cheap doll I'd repainted and rerooted or something, even if I loved it I'd be able to give it away for that warm fuzzy feeling, but a BJD? That's less of a warm, fuzzy feeling and more of a cold-sweat-I-think-I'm-going-to-be-sick feeling. *_*

4. Nearly all of my dolls, no matter how tiny, are somewhat not available anymore. They are all very dear to me. :)
      I could only imagine giving away a doll when I really lose interest in him/her. And then only to a person close to me, like a good friend that really, really wants that one doll, knows about the value and somehow cannot afford one.
      My best friend jokingly said that one time he'll buy me a doll, but I don't think that will happen since I haven't told him about the price of those dolls yet. :P
      It may sound selfish but I cannot imagine giving one of my dear dolls to for example a little girl I meet on the street that shows interest but could not afford one. She may not even value the "gift", lose interest in the doll later and - since it was "just a gift from someone I don't know" - throw it away or get rid of it otherwise.
      Even if some of my dolls don't have a name or a face-up (yet) and all are most of the time just sitting beside my computer, that "bond" between us is quite strong so that I wouldn't want to lose one of them.

5. I think the only way I would ever be able to part with a doll is if I just couldn't bond with it no matter what I did. But then I'm the type of person who gets easily attached to my things. Especially dolls. :sweat

6. I've kind of been on both ends of the spectrum. I always feel weird when I see friends or people I know sell their dolls or give them away mostly as I get very attached to things and would have a lot of trouble doing something like that.

7. I'm giving away another one (so to speak). I am doing a full SD size Acorna doll (from Anne McCaffrey's Acorna books) to be auctioned for one of Annie's charities at DragonCon.

Why not? I can greatly increase the amount of money going to the charity than I could afford to donate on my own, and someone--perhaps someone who hasn't got the skills to make the outfit or do the mods or the faceup, or even someone who doesn't even know about BJDs--will get the Acorna doll they adore. Of course I'll get attached as I work on her, but when she's done, I'll be just as happy to see her go.

8. i would never give away a doll i am emotionally attached to.

however, i don't feel the same way about all my dolls. whether i would give the doll away or sell it would depend on whether the person i was giving it to was someone i was friends with/wanted to be friends with, or if it was someone who really wanted one badly but couldn't afford it perhaps. otherwise, i would see no reason not to sell the doll.

9. As I don't earn much, I couldn't justify giving away an expensive doll. I did, however, give my friend a customised LPS with a tiny parrot painted on it's face, and a tiny dress. It took hours to make, but didn't cost much, but she still has it. I guess the thought still counts!

I do give away paintings that I have done to charity auctions, some of which would be more than a doll, I guess!

10. I'm not at all the sort of person that does things with the intent of being nice. No random acts of kindness coming from me.....ever.... but I do pay very close attention to my instincts, and when those instincts tell me to give something to someone I do it every time. An example of that is when my mother died I inherited her car. I had a car already so I didn't need hers, but it also had sentimental value so I didn't want to sell it. A friend of mine was going through some hard times, boyfriend breakup, her business closing, ect, and she had always dreamed of having this type of car and so I gave it to her. Did I mention that it was a BMW? lol, well it was, and it was so fun seeing her hugging that car when we finished the paperwork. My mom would of loved it.

So yeah, I could see me giving any of my dolls away if my instinct said "do it" and I'm not even going to try imagining any scenario where that would happen.

No, I'm not wealthy, but my thinking has always been that possessions should not be taken to seriously. I think that there would be a real sense of freedom in owning absolutely nothing. Of course for that to work you'd have to have some pretty serious money in order to be comfortable. Yeah I'm pretty strange.

11. Well, i really like to do rescue projects, and at one point in time i was drowning in heads with lopsized eyes I intended to fix, but had no intention to keep afterwards. I gave those away to people on DOA i did not even know.

Later I had a tiny i made from a kit, but did not bond with & it would not sell. I posted a giveaway in the marketplace, that got removed within a few hours. At that moment I already had 50+ responses, so she went to the person who had the best explanation why she wanted the doll.

Just today I gave away a pair of pink glass eyes I gt for free and that would have been on my shelve the rest of my life if i had not found someone who wanted them.

12. I would never give away my doll, I believe my friends and relatives, but I afraid about her

13. I bought my best friend a very nice Luts for Christmas a few years ago, he was her first BJD and now is part of a very happy large family :) I just listened carefully when she commented on which ones were her favorites when she looked at pix online and got her one that she really wanted.

14. I got a mini Planet Doll girl that I just didn't bond with at all but my sister thought was beautiful. Now she's a late graduation gift and I am no longer the only person within a 100 miles with a bjd, lol. n_n

15. No, I would not. But then again, I'm only 16.
      Still, they're very expensive dolls, and it's not like my parents buy them for me. So no, I don't think so.

16. Currently I couldn't give away any of my dolls because the three of them are like members of my family :) However if I ever had a doll that just wasn't fitting in and I knew someone who really wanted that doll I would be happy to give it to them :)

17. I would only give away a doll if it was one I no longer wanted, but knew that a family member wanted... If I had a family member that collected these dolls...and they proved they took good care of them.

Other than that...I'd say I'd only give away a doll to a best friend. I just don't think I could just give away something so expensive to just anyone, especially if over the years, the sculpt is discontinued and the value goes up.

18. That's what I do sometimes too. *lol*

19. I plan on giving a tiny doll to my mother, I have seen sculpts I adore but I just have not taken the final step because I know she would not play or do much of anything with it. I've given her plastic, porcelain and resin figures over the years and she adores them but has a tendency of keeping them inside their boxes to keep them clean (I do the same with my BJDs but I do take them out pretty often). But I'd love to give BJDs to my friends and family (tiny ones mostly)

20. Right now i'm selling three JP dolls.And this is the FIRST time i EVER parted with a doll before.It's heartbreaking:...(,but i'm actually spending the money on a BJD/other doll things:|.Plus the dolls i got rid of no longer hold a strong place in me as they used too.So i see it better for them to get a new home.And that's what I've been telling everyone;).