1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Would you ever intentionally damage your doll?

Dec 17, 2009

1. i don't think i could ever bring myself to do something like this! D:

2. I wouldn't personally do something like this. If only because A) they're too expensive and B) I can write all the horrible accidents I can think of but to actually cause it to something, even if it's just a doll representation of my character, is another thing. I couldn't do that to them, even for realism's sake. Though, anything I could feasibly do with paint would be alright. That's as far as I can go. :)

3. I don't think I could ever intentially damage one of my dolls. I love them and they cost too much money!

4. Even if I wanted to mod it so that it looked as if it had been in an accident, I wouldn't such a thing, simply because it would be too imprecise. You never know if a fall is going to dent a nose, snap a finger off, or shatter the doll's head in to a million pieces.
      No... If I was going to mod it, I'd do it very carefully and deliberately.

5. ...the thought scares me. D8
      I don't let anyone really even touch the doll that I currently have, I would never consider dropping a doll to make damage. D8
      If anything, I would just do a mod job or commission someone to mod the doll for me.

6. I would never do this, I care too much for her. If there was ever a change in character, I think the change should be done in a planned manner, i.e. create the scar or remove the limb manually and not to chance.

7. Its an interesting idea, but I suspect the resin would just shatter wherever it hit the ground first (I'm assuming it would be impacting with a hard surface). So as others have said you'd likely just end up with a broken doll rather than a reasonably in tact doll that you can create injuries from. Things like joints or especially the head shattering would just make the doll pretty much useless.

And as mentioned by sister-of-charity you wouldn't really be emulating where an injury might occur from a certain situation by dropping them. You're better off examining the scenario you wanted to occur, seeing where the damage would be and then adding it yourself in a controlled way. If you're really keen on the randomness you could make a list of the possible injuries that would suit it and then find a way to randomly select them (like rolling a dice). That way you'd still have a doll that you can use at the end of it and haven't wasted a hefty sum of money and a doll that you were attached to.

8. Lookinto the world of modding. If you decide to just let nature to do the damage for you, you are in for a world of hurt. Its almost sickening what you are considering.

9. I might, if the character was undead. Cracks might make good gaping wounds. But I would rather etch the damage myself than leave it up to fate and wind velocity.

10. I have several characters that require some serious modding to get them to look like they should in my mind, due to serious physical injuries they've sustained in their lives. Unfortunately, I'm not brave enough to do anything close to letting nature take it's course regarding their damage to their doll-selves. Also, I have very set ideas of how their scars should look and how I want them to look. I doubt I could get gravity or bleach or anything like that to do what I want.

If someone else does this, it doesn't really bother me. I mean, it's what they want to do with their doll and I'd probably be very interested to see the project they'd make from that. I only feel sad or sympathetic for other owners if the damage was accidental and they actually are really upset by it.

11. no way, i've seen people mod their dolls, i wouldn't even trust myself to do that XD i think a $500 or more doll should be treated like its worth $500 not a school project. People who intentionally ruin something as expensive as a BJD i wonder why the hell would they do that to a work of art :/

12. First of all, I won't even suede my boy cuz I'm afraid of UNintentionally damaging him or not doing it right and making his ugly. But, no I wouldn't intentionally damage my boy for the sake of giving him injuries because it wouldn't make sense to do so. If you get into a car accident your fingers aren't going to break off. It wouldn't look like natural injuries. It would just look stupid, ugly, and broken. If I wanted his character to get severely injured I probably wouldn't do more than wrap up an arm or leg in a fake cast. POSSIBLY get someone who knows what they're doing to mod realistic injuries to my doll. I think if you want you doll to lose a few fingers your best bet would be to melt them down to a knuckle so the end would be rounded and smooth but still look scarred. Not a shatered edge or even obviously broken then sanded. I would want it to at least look realistic. Otherwise I would have just ruined something I loved to no real means.

13. I couldn't do it.

Luckily for me, I don't have any characters that are seriously scarred or maimed that I wish to shell in a doll! For some reason, I don't mind the dolls that come scarred or one-eyed... I just can't seem to make a doll that way myself! *_*

14. I saw this thread last year and now again ^^"" and I'm still equally amused everytime I read this....No way I would intentionally injure my boys!I mean,I have a preference leaning towards scarred dolls,but I like that single one because I think it makes their character cooler!Yet that's the maximum range I could accept! O_O
      Put yourself in the shoe and imagine....Who the hell on earth would like to receive this kind of treatment????I mean? OFF A CLIFF?!MY heart skipped a beat when my boy fell,thank god I'm fast enough to catch him before he hits the hard ground=_=||
      I treat my boys like how I wanted to be treated,of course biasness exists,I wouldn't be able to equally loving everyone at the same time since I'm having a pretty large crew...I can only take turns to.It's like a mirror reflection,how I want to be treated?Loved?Or abused?
      Still,no way I would go for the second option.....seriously,no.

15. One of my planned dolls is situated to have an injury (broken arm...heck even a stump and some scarring throughout his torso) but I would never consider giving my doll any 'injury' like this. One of the greatest reasons is it'll only look like broken resin which is pretty far from what a wound would look like. Another is: there's no control as to which part will be damaged in the fall. It would be horrible to see the poor doll shatter to pieces :...(

16. I wouldnt injure the doll as in break it, but If they were supposed to be missing an arm of something, Id just take the arm off and bind it in bandage... for scars, blushing :) I cant bear to break a doll...

17. Hm I'm researchin this for days until now.
      One of my planned doll should look like a ...yeah... like a broken doll. With reaks on his limbs, his body and his face. While I'm too afraid to break his face I consider that I could maybe break a hand. Poor thing but I'm not really able to paint these random filigree fractures with stay when you glue a broken piece together.
      I even don't really find usefull pictures of it O_o

But I can'timagine that I would really have the guts to break something on him. Q~Q

Does anyone maybe have suggestions how this broken-doll-look could work?:sweat

18. *feels like the black sheep*
      now, I would not intentionally harm my doll itself, but I do have spare parts laying around from when I replaced them. I would intentionally damage those, and have. Most specifically my pair of DOI hands. I have really bad luck with DOI hands and have broken fingers on them more times than I can count. I lost a finger completely once and ended up replacing the hands. I now have this extra pair of DOI hands with a missing finger rolling around XD.
      The hand that's missing a finger I'm always messing with it. I've stepped on it intentionally, thrown it, and painted it unsealed :P. (I basically do whatever I feel like doing it to it on impulse .-. whenever I get one of those "what if" itches XD)
      I have learned that that hand is determined to never break again. I stepped on it, though it was on carpet, and it survived. I've chipped it so far, but it's not completely broken ever again.

19. I don't think it would look right. I would rather invest in acrylic paint and pastels to give the look of wounds, and then gauze to cover it. rather than... chipping him. And no, I would absolutely freak out if Phillip suddenly broke because of me. O_O

20. No way!!!! I don't even think I could ever pierce a doll either, while I like the look on other dolls, I just wouldn't be able to. I am very anal and meticulous with my dolls..so the answer is definately no.