1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Would you go to a physical BJD store?

Dec 21, 2014

1. Would you go to it?
      Most likely! I have a ton of random hobby stores I go to just to browse. Finding new quirky things and strolling around is interesting to me!

What would you expect to find there?/What would you want it to have?
      To be honest, I searched high and low for a physical store yearrrss ago when I first had an interest in BJDs because I had never seen in person. So, physical dolls and an array of clothing and props would be perfect, but probably also some of the basic "craft" supplies for repairs and customization I would think!

Would you be fine with it having other hobbies in there too?
      In this day and age? Yes. I'd imagine these type of stores as more Mom and Pop, so if it helps them stay open I wouldn't mind as long as it's neatly organized and doesn't just feel like a junk drawer.

2. Would you go to it?
      Absolutely.

What would you expect to find there?

All sorts of high quality dolls of different style, manufacturers and genre

What would you want it to have?

A wide selection of dolls, accessories, clothing, enclosures, small artisian cafe/bistro for patrons to enjoy together.

Of course! Perhaps even comics, manga that are related to dolls, stationary, photo and staging services, arts&crafts supplies

Sadly, I have not seen a doll specific store yet.

3. If there was a physical store near me I'd go there immediately and absolutely never leave.

I spent so much time in the American Girl Doll store as a kid. It's just fun to look at things even if you can't afford them! I imagine it would have some of the same things -- clothes, supplies to take care of them with, and so on.

4. I would love to go to a bjd store without a doubt I would be leaving with a full doll and outfit ideas totally be fine with other hobbies in there as well (gunpla, pokemon and Yu-Gi-Oh tcg would be best though xD) this is a must do on my future half planned trip to Japan

5. I'd love it! I love just walking through shops for hours and looking at everything, taking "wishlist" photos, and just being in a happy place that caters to me. I've been to one in Tokyo and it was nuts. I wish I could go back there, or at least find those wonderful 1/6 scale super realistic casual clothes there. Even got a white painter's overall!

I'd want to find everything from the full dolls, to parts, clothes, props, etc.

6. Would you go to it? 100%!
      I'd expect it to be like DDE or Angelesque. Like a distribution center, that shows 1 of each doll they stock on display and the boxes in the back store room.
      Dolls, wigs, clothes and information on different Etsy sellers/clothes makers.
      Yes, definitely. It should have little figurines and such too!

7. Would you go to it?
      Absolutely. My husband and i once looked up all the doll stores in our state and went on a road trip. Sadly, none of them turned out to be bjd related.

I would really hope to find wigs and clothes in particular. Maybe even some eye selections. Is it hoping too much for them to sell the actual dolls??

Actual dolls on display. It's so hard to judge from pictures what they look like in person.
      Loads of clothes and accessories. Maybe doll furniture.
      What would be really neat is connections or information from various doll makers or custom clothing creators, etc.

Absolutely, although I would hope they are similarly related. I don't think you can expect stores like that to exist solely on one product anymore, not with Amazon, etc.

If you have been to a physical bjd store, how was it??
      When I was a young girl my mother took me to a doll store quite frequently. It had shelves of clothes and accessories, racks of everything imaginable.

Dolls were posted on top of the shelves wearing various outfits. I remember there being some American Girl dolls (I was a kid) but I don't remember any other brands.

They even had a back show room with dolls posed behind glass panes. These were quite large and very lifelike. As a child, it was very creepy to be staring at those dolls. Some looked so sad. Some were astonishingly beautiful in an eerie, haunting way.
      As an adult I think it would be amazing to see them now.

Sadly, I think it must have shut down at some point. We havent been able to find it again.

8. Would you go to it?

If it were convenient to get to. Wouldn't go out of my way but I would definitely go every now and then if it were local.

Well, there are so many unique products that aren't cross compatible in this hobby that I'm not sure a store is all that feasible. A Volks store would be very interesting.

Ideally a company store - that actually had a variety of clothing for their dolls.

Absolutely.

Nope.

9. Would definitely go if it was a possibility! However, I think it would be far more practical to sell other types of dolls along with BJDs, or even other hobby-related items in order to keep a physical store open and thriving.

10. Yes, yes, and yes! lol! I would love to go into one. Biggest plus would be finding the right fitting and size of clothes and wigs. Instead of hoping they fit when they arrive at your door.

11. I've been to Dollyteria in Tokyo, that place is a RIDE! I could have spent hours there (it's very discorganized) if it weren't for my family telling me to hurry up :XD:

12. I will go to BJD physical store. I hope the store has a place to take pictures.

13. I've actually had dreams about having a bjd store in my area lol

Would you go to it? Of course!!! I'd give them as much business as possible.

I was thinking along the lines of accessories, props, clothes, faceup materials, etc. I'd love it to have dolls from a variety of companies too because it'd be so convenient, but I'm not sure how the company would make that work financially since it'd be such a niche item.

Would you be fine with it having other hobbies in there too? Yes!

14. Would you go to it?
      Yes! I love getting to actually see the scale and quality of the things I'm looking to purchase.

Clothing, eyes, wigs, shoes, props, stands, maintenance items (maybe like extra elastic and S hooks and such)

All the things I listed above, maybe MSC and other faceup supplies if I'm getting really choosy.

Sure. It'd be nice to have all the different hobbies maybe separated though. Or at least let them all have a section of the store dedicated to mostly just that thing. Like bjds in one corner, model car painting on a different wall (or whatever other hobbies the store might cater to).

I have! I used to live in the Denver area and I've been to the physical site of the Denver Doll Emporium several times (in two different locations). I've also been to the Doll Peddlar in Little Rock Arkansas as well. Both stores were really nice. DDE's second location was super spacious and nicely laid out (I only vaguely remember the first site, but I know I liked it). DP was almost like a little house with several different "rooms" all filled to bursting with doll stuff. Most of it was other kinds of dolls, but there was a fair amount of bjd things as well. Both stores let you physically browse through products and even try things on your dolls, provided you were careful and respectful. Both stores also had really lovely staff. 10/10 would recommend for both! ♡

15. Would you go to it?
      Heck yeah!

Probably a few different kinds of dolls, doll parts and things like wigs, clothes, eyes, etc.

I think an area to maybe teach people how to take care of dolls like for newbies would be a nice thought! and maybe just a little area for people to sit with their dolls and talk to each other and just get to know each other?

I a store totally centered around BJDs would be more appealing, but as long as they still had a good selection i'd still go

I wish. That would be a dream come true for me, maybe some day LOL

16. I'd love to go to an actual store! I think it would make me feel more comfortable buying a doll and doll accessories because I'd be able to size the clothing and props plus get opinions from store workers. Plus just be a neat experience!

17. Would you go to it?
      Heck YES!!!

If MYOU Doll had a physical store I think I would die because all of their dolls are adorable! I would hope to be able to see most of their sculpts in one place so I can imagine what mine will look like in the future.

I would want it to have my dream sculpts from the company!

Ummm... Not really? There's so many other hobby stores out there that I feel like there needs to be a specific store-front for the company. If they offered sewing or face-up events then maybe (as they can be considered diff hobbies applied to dolls).

N/A

18. Would you go to it?
      Of course!
      Dolls and accessories
      Many dolls
      Yes!
      I have been to the Volks store in LA. the doll stuff was on the second floor. The space was pretty small but everything was neat and tidy. I got a doll there. The staffs were all very nice and helpful. It was a fun experience.

19. YES omg! It's so much more fun to go to a physical store than to shop online, usually they have pretty display dolls that you can take a look at and the feeling of browsing with your own two hands is simply incomparable *_* I'm at my happiest when I'm at a physical BJD store, you never know what you will find~ haha

20. I totally would go to it, but I am not aware and have not seen any locations within Denmark. It is a shame. I would totally go there if they had one though. I would expect to find ball-jointed dolls there of all sorts, though I would probably linger more towards any imported asian BJDs they had in stock. x3 Of course going to a store, I might even find something outside of what I am used to that I might like as well. I would specifically want them to stock asian BJDs but I would of course want them to cater to everyone of any taste. Yes I would be ok with it having other hobbies in there as well, but a focused goal behind a store might lead to more informed store owners. At least that is how I feel. No, I have not been to a physical store. :(